Is it truly 470lbs torque all day or diminishing torque based on electric power

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I haven't seen a straight answer on this so wanted to ask.

Do we get the 470lbs torque all day no matter the situation, or if the electric battery is say at 20% then we get the much lower torque (~300lbs range)?

I've read that the 470 lbs torque is only on hybrid (needs electric and gas power combined), some saying its only when electric is 100%, etc. So lots of different views. These are the various things I've read so far:

"470 torque is combined engine and electric motor from all I've read. You have less torque when running electric only but again it is all instantly available. Our first video from one of our esteemed forum members said he was pleasantly surprised by the all electric pickup. Also, if you stomp (probably not a full stomp) on it in all electric the motor comes on so you get the 470. This is a parallel hybrid system, not a serial hybrid system"

"The 4XE makes 6-7% more torque than his 3.0 diesel, though the 4XE should have instant torque and a better curve vs his diesel as an additional bonus. However, that's at 100% charge. The 4XE will lose 5% charge PER MILE when running on the battery (probably 7-8% in the real world, and 8-12% per mile in the cold winter), and with each % it loses, it will also lose torque."

So to me it sounds like the Diesel with 442 lbs torque might have more torque all day since its 442 lbs all the time??
Or the 4xe will always have more than the Diesel in any scenario because 470 > 442?
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
I haven't seen a straight answer on this so wanted to ask.

Do we get the 470lbs torque all day no matter the situation, or if the electric battery is say at 20% then we get the much lower torque (~300lbs range)?

I've read that the 470 lbs torque is only on hybrid (needs electric and gas power combined), some saying its only when electric is 100%, etc. So lots of different views. These are the various things I've read so far:

"470 torque is combined engine and electric motor from all I've read. You have less torque when running electric only but again it is all instantly available. Our first video from one of our esteemed forum members said he was pleasantly surprised by the all electric pickup. Also, if you stomp (probably not a full stomp) on it in all electric the motor comes on so you get the 470. This is a parallel hybrid system, not a serial hybrid system"

"The 4XE makes 6-7% more torque than his 3.0 diesel, though the 4XE should have instant torque and a better curve vs his diesel as an additional bonus. However, that's at 100% charge. The 4XE will lose 5% charge PER MILE when running on the battery (probably 7-8% in the real world, and 8-12% per mile in the cold winter), and with each % it loses, it will also lose torque."

So to me it sounds like the Diesel with 442 lbs torque might have more torque all day since its 442 lbs all the time??
Or the 4xe will always have more than the Diesel in any scenario because 470 > 442?
In reality you will always have 470 lbs available when running in hybrid. Yes it uses battery power but there is never going to be a time that you will run 470 lbs continuously. The 20% the battery keeps in reserve for hybrid mode will be plenty.

Mess262

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
In reality you will always have 470 lbs available when running in hybrid. Yes it uses battery power but there is never going to be a time that you will run 470 lbs continuously. The 20% the battery keeps in reserve for hybrid mode will be plenty.
Also I would think that there are very few real world instances when you need that much torque for a prolonged time. Even towing up a big hill would not be an event that would start you with a depleted hybrid battery and then lose torque rating. In reality the 4xe might be a better tow monster for heavy loads but at that point you have well exceeded the tow capacity of the rig. My 3.6 JK would tow my 3000lb plus boat up a prolonged and very steep grade road with 4 people no issues at all. I never wished I had more torque honestly.

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
So how would you compare it to the Diesel? While it only has 442 lbs, I've come away believing that I get that 442 any day or time that I tap the pedal. Would you say the 4xe gives the 470 lbs every time, or most of the time its around 300 and only gives you 470 when you are flooring it in a specific scenario?

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
So how would you compare it to the Diesel? While it only has 442 lbs, I've come away believing that I get that 442 any day or time that I tap the pedal. Would you say the 4xe gives the 470 lbs every time, or most of the time its around 300 and only gives you 470 when you are flooring it in a specific scenario?
It won't be a direct comparison because internal combustion engines don't produce the same torque across the whole RPM band. So with the diesel you don't always get 442 when you tap the pedal - it will be dependent on what RPM you're at. The 442 is the peak, at around 3200rpm if I recall on the diesel. At lower or higher rpm it'll be less. The electric motor doesn't have to ramp up the torque the same way, so the contribution can be full and instant, which an ICE can't do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
It won't be a direct comparison because internal combustion engines don't produce the same torque across the whole RPM band. So with the diesel you don't always get 442 when you tap the pedal - it will be dependent on what RPM you're at. The 442 is the peak, at around 3200rpm if I recall on the diesel. At lower or higher rpm it'll be less. The electric motor doesn't have to ramp up the torque the same way, so the contribution can be full and instant, which an ICE can't do.
Interesting.
So based on your response, if I drove both a Diesel and 4xe and just went from 0 to 40, driving around town, that the 4xe would be the one that "feels" more powerful?

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
You would get the torque of the electric motor instantly. The ICE would have to get to its rpm needed for max torque. Once it gets there, then you have 470, so yes it should be on tap quicker than the diesel. I don't know how much earlier. An all electric is there immediately.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
You also don't lose output power proportionally with battery percentage in lithium ion packs, just as a laptop or phone can run at 100% of its advertised performance on the battery all the way to empty. A modern MacBook Pro will downclock at 5% charge to give you some time to save and close your stuff, but other than that, full blast until empty.

Accelerating at 25% charge should feel more or less the same as accelerating at 100% charge.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
While I am not an expert on this I would guess in the real world you have that much torque all the time. The thing is you are never going to jump in your jeep and use all 470 #'s continuously. About the only scenario I could think of would be a very heavy trailer up a very long hill. If that is what you are planning to do I would suggest a Wrangler might not be your best option.

If I were going to use a rig for towing almost exclusively then I think I may look at the diesel. I have no proof that it is better but that is basically what diesels are designed to do. Now you also have the transmission to worry about in that situation.

Sponsored

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2019 Ram 2500
I believe it would diminish if you’re towing long distances, which makes perfect sense. There is a YouTube video where TFL interviews a power train engineer from FCA. They touch on this in the interview.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"