Sponsored

Is it possible to add remote keyless (passive) entry if the factory forgot to?

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
My sweet sexy beautiful brand new jlu rubicon just came in, but the factory forgot to install the remoter keyless entry feature. I kept the car anyway but was wondering if it could be done after the fact?
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
They forgot the proximity entry? Really?

Or did you just not realize it didn't have it when you bought it, or forgot to order it. Is it on the window sticker?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
My sweet sexy beautiful brand new jlu rubicon just came in, but the factory forgot to install the remoter keyless entry feature. I kept the car anyway but was wondering if it could be done after the fact?
Short answer no.
Long answer, probably no... yea nvm.. just no.

Last edited:

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
If you're referring to the Proximity Sensing passive entry system, then NO, it's not really possible unless you're willing to spend all kinds of money replacing the PCM and related parts and pieces. If on the other hand, it's the system where you can unlock the doors with a key Fob, then that is actually more reasonable. There are some other posts/threads relating to this issue, on the forum.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
So you ordered the jeep WITH keyless entry and it didn't come with? Chances are the dealer forgot to put it on the order.

Sponsored

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Thanks for the responses.

If you're referring to the Proximity Sensing passive entry system, then NO
That's the one.

They forgot the proximity entry? Really?

Or did you just not realize it didn't have it when you bought it, or forgot to order it. Is it on the window sticker?
I paid for it and it was on the signed order, it was a custom order (waited 2 months), the dealer is sending me a refund. In Canada we don't really have window stickers.

So you ordered the jeep WITH keyless entry and it didn't come with? Chances are the dealer forgot to put it on the order.
That's my suspicion as well, but the dealer is blaming the factory.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
The dealer is the last human in the link, once the order is entered into the system, I'm pretty sure it can't be omitted. Also, the dealer can supply you with the order sheet, which will show if they forgot or not. If they don't want to, there's your clue.

Window stickers? Of course we get those!

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

you can look up your build sheet using the vin. i just did that to make sure it was all on par for what i got on my jeep

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've been following these threads, and from what I understand, it is MOSTLY not that hard - you just replace the door handles with the remote proximity door handles. If you have a Sahara or Rubicon (and I see you have a Rubi) then the wiring is already there. You'll need some wiring adapters and in the end the parts are about $300-$400 total. It will take up to a few hours to replace the door handles, but it's nothing too crazy.

HOWEVER, once that is all done the hard part comes in. You do not need a new PCM, but you need to have your PCM flashed to recognize the proximity function. From what I have heard, this can only be done by a Chrysler dealer and before they can do it, someone at Chrysler Corporate has to add the remote proximity feature to your build sheet. That is the un-passable dam (although someone has claimed to have done it, but no more info was given).

The bottom line is that it isn't a big deal hardware-wise, but until someone has an easy way to activate the feature it is not feasible.

OP
OP
baz

baz

First Name
Baz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Unlimited 2019
you can look up your build sheet using the vin. i just did that to make sure it was all on par for what i got on my jeep
I just looked it up and it shows that it's there - which points to a factory mistake? Are there privacy issues with sharing a VIN, should I share the results here?

Window stickers? Of course we get those!
Oh yeah!? I know those are very important in the states, should I request mine? They never gave it to me.

I've been following these threads, and from what I understand, it is MOSTLY not that hard - you just replace the door handles with the remote proximity door handles. If you have a Sahara or Rubicon (and I see you have a Rubi) then the wiring is already there. You'll need some wiring adapters and in the end the parts are about $300-$400 total. It will take up to a few hours to replace the door handles, but it's nothing too crazy.

HOWEVER, once that is all done the hard part comes in. You do not need a new PCM, but you need to have your PCM flashed to recognize the proximity function. From what I have heard, this can only be done by a Chrysler dealer and before they can do it, someone at Chrysler Corporate has to add the remote proximity feature to your build sheet. That is the un-passable dam (although someone has claimed to have done it, but no more info was given).

The bottom line is that it isn't a big deal hardware-wise, but until someone has an easy way to activate the feature it is not feasible.
Interesting. The parts seem easy to get: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/exterior-door-handle-jl-jt-remote-keyless-entry-68307269AC

I guess I would need more information on getting the chrysler part done.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager

Here's the thread on the topic, lots of info
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/adding-proximity-locks-retroactively.10769/

trainsafe

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0

I asked my dealer. They spent a day calling FCA. Bottom line was that they can't add it after the fact.

I bought one without, and later realized that I would like this feature. I wanted to pay to add it. They said it can't be done.

Reactions: baz

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I just looked it up and it shows that it's there - which points to a factory mistake? Are there privacy issues with sharing a VIN, should I share the results here?

Oh yeah!? I know those are very important in the states, should I request mine? They never gave it to me.

Interesting. The parts seem easy to get: https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/exterior-door-handle-jl-jt-remote-keyless-entry-68307269AC

I guess I would need more information on getting the chrysler part done.
If I can't get a dealer to upgrade the radio using a donor JL (very long story) I can't imagine this is even feasible. I have no freaking idea why FCA is making it so difficult to upgrade our Wranglers' technology. It's almost like they want to punish us for not getting every bell and whistle:angry:
Sponsored