Sponsored

Is it odd for the fan to not be running?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Is it odd for the loud a$$ fan to not be running when climbing in 4Lo for a while? Or spending the whole day in slow 4Lo scenarios for most of a day?

I’ve been in the San Juans this week And I only heard it once, on the second day, climbing up to the Imogene summit. And then very shortly afterwards, got the error “Service Electronic Throttle Control.” This was accompanied by a very bouncy idle and would stall just idling forward in all t-case mods.
after cooling (engine off) for at least 30 minutes, it disappeared and coolant temps never went above 228. Was able to reach the summit and make it to Ouray.
so, is something wrong with the radiator fan? Seems odd to never hear it all week on the trails - especially when I know these things have loud ass fans when they need it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Thanks. I saw that post too, but wasn’t the case for me. I did use the 86 octane instead of 88 - possible contributing factor?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I saw that post too, but wasn’t the case for me. I did use the 86 octane instead of 88 - possible contributing factor?
I was puttin' around Ouray on the trails just like you and my fan didn't kick on much. No issue at all as long as your temps are in the normal range.

Also your fuel is fine. Tons of people run 85 here. Not sure where you got 86 in CO but not a worry.

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I was puttin' around Ouray on the trails just like you and my fan didn't kick on much. No issue at all as long as your temps are in the normal range.

Also your fuel is fine. Tons of people run 85 here. Not sure where you got 86 in CO but not a worry.
Every station I stopped at between Durango and Silverton had 86 and 88. We have 87 back home.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Was the A/C on (I’m guessing it wasn’t)? My fan is rarely on unless the A/C is running.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Amaruq

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Was the A/C on (I’m guessing it wasn’t)? My fan is rarely on unless the A/C is running.
At the time of the error, it was not. I tried with the ac on the next day and still no fan.