Sponsored

Is it my bad luck or are all UK Jeep Service Dealers useless?

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
Sadly, it does seem as though many dealers have no concept of customer service.

My own case continues. Despite promises to call me on Thursday with an update, I heard nothing. I called today at 3pm to find out if any progress had been made. Couldn't get through to the service department so the receptionist took my number and said they would call back.
By 5pm I hadn't received a call, so I called again. Vehicle still not working and technician had gone home so they couldn't give me any more info.
They have promised to call back tomorrow morning at 9am with an update. So it sounds like I will be stuck with the Fiat 500L for another week :angry:
I see that the saga of daft dealers continues.

It is such a shame that there is this inconsistency of service here in the UK.

My experience with the local dealer has always been fantastic, and I have been using them for over 10 years.

If you are feeling too frustrated to continue, I would suggest that you call Vospers in Exeter and ask to speak to Mark Drew the Jeep service manager. He is a great source of knowledge and extremely customer focused. Roy the Jeep engineer has been with the company for over eight years and in my eyes, one of the best.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Another week has passed and the ESS is still not repaired.

However, they did load some newer software. Then drove it over several days to see if it would re-calibrate, which it didn't.
On Wednesday, Jeep instructed them to remove the AUX battery from the vehicle and charge it overnight. Surprise, surprise, the ESS then worked on several test drives through Thursday. But when they tested the vehicle on Friday, it had died again.

How long is it going to take before they finally accept there is a problem with the battery discharging or not being charged correctly when on the vehicle? I had already sent them the results of my own battery tests before it even went in.

I have made it very clear to Jeep in Italy that I have now had enough. Since I purchased the Jeep in February, it has been in dealers for close to a month now.
  • Front parking sensors that didn't work.(Wrong module fitted at the factory). 3 separate visits before they correctly diagnosed/resolved the problem.
  • Ongoing ESS problem which still isn't sorted.
  • Modifications to the alarm, due to numerous false alarms. Two attempts as the first rework was ineffective.
  • Steering damper recall.
It is such a shame because I really like the Wrangler.
But if this is the best that Jeep and their retailers can come up with, then it does make you wonder about the long term support.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
@lohr500

Why don’t they/won’t they just replace the auxiliary battery Tony..or am I missing something here?

My dealership knew that was potentially the cause of the ESS faults and didn’t hesitate in replacing it. That knowledge/information was clearly available to them although mine was the first they’d replaced.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just don't get it either. I have told them about the reports from other owners and sent them the results of my own testing.

I can only sssume they are religiously following some fault tracing guide without applying any common sense or listening to what I am telling them. I do wonder how the dealer has "tested" the battery.

But surely the Jeep support technicians must be aware of the issue, having replaced the battery on other vehicles with the same fault.

Just beggars belief that after 2 dealers and 25 days of workshop time, they can't sort it out.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
No it doesn’t make any sense. In my case they waited to get the battery before booking me in. They’d clearly been told that was the likely remedy and that was proved correct. That knowledge doesn’t seem to getting communicated in your case.

Sorry you’re still going through this Tony.

Sponsored

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
Hi Tony

I'm very sorry that you are going through this.

Can I suggest that you contact my local dealership for advice on this matter.

I'm sure that you do not want to drive down to Devon, but Mark Drew the Jeep service manager will definitely have some advise on how to get the ESS issue resolved.

Vospers Exeter
01392 203825

Please ask for Mark Drew

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks both.

Given the previous info I provided, both Stoneacre and Jeep assured me they would have a new battery at the dealership in readiness.
But Stoneacre did tell me they wouldn't fit it until told to do so by Jeep as they then would be unable to return it, if it didn't cure the problem.
I am very much hoping that when Jeep make contact wit Stoneacre tomorrow, they instruct them to fit a new battery.

@Frontal : If they don't make any progress in the next few days I will give Mark Drew a call. Thanks for the contact and phone number.

Perhaps my old Defender wasn't that unreliable after all :headbang::headbang::headbang:

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Collected the Jeep today after I was assured that it had been working perfectly since late Friday.
They haven't replaced the small AUX battery and maintain that the issue was caused by faulty alarm sensors draining the battery overnight.
I am still not convinced, but I guess time will tell.
I'll be using the Jeep for the rest of this week, so I'll be monitoring it closely.

I have to say, it was great to be back in it, despite all the problems :clap:

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh joy.

They changed the alarm sensors as part of the ESS fix. (Presumably the same sensors they replaced previously to sort out the false alarm triggering).
And guess what?
The false alarm problem is back :(
Three separate alarm activations over the past three days.

At least the ESS continues to work correctly.

If the alram problems continue, then I guess its back to the retailer again.

Watch this space.

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
rubbish!!

so who do we escalate to in the UK with such dealer issues?

Sponsored

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
rubbish!!

so who do we escalate to in the UK with such dealer issues?
I’ve contacted Jeep Customer Care in Italy a few times when I haven’t been happy with the amount of progress from my local dealer. They’re pretty efficient and courteous but it’s clear that they don’t have absolute authority over the dealer.

Their relationship seems to be more like arbitrator between owner and dealer to help expedite replacement parts and provide an efficient solution. In most instances they defer to the local dealer to diagnose problems, although they did arrange for the ‘regional rep’ to visit on one occasion when things got really ugly.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GeeBee, that has been my experience too.

I did point out to Jeep Italy that the dealers are the primary customer point of contact.
And if that contact results in a bad customer experience then it reflects poorly on the brand and potentially loses them business.

When I had customer service issues at Arnold Clark Leeds, after complaining to the local Service Manager, I did then escalate the matter to Arnold Clark's head office as I was so appalled by the attitude and professionalism. I got a stock answer back saying they were disappointed to hear about my experience and would take the matter up with the dealership.

I know when Jeep Italy were following up on the progress of my repairs at both Arnold Clark & Stoneacre, they too struggled to get through to the service reception teams for updates and promises to call them back were broken. So I wasn't alone.

I guess if Jeep receive enough complaints about a specific dealer, or wider network, then they could apply sanctions and/or ultimately remove the franchise subject to any contractual arrangements. But perhaps the dealer networks are so large nowadays that Jeep isn't 100% in the driving seat. They need the big Fiat/Alfa/Jeep dealer networks to sell the vehicles.

I also wonder if the local technicians have received enough training and support from Jeep to be in a position to effectively diagnose the more complex problems. Routine service work is one thing (changing filters/brake pads/etc) but really understanding what's going on with the ESS system or parking sensors is another. I was assured that technical support tickets had been opened with Jeep and that the local technicians were being guided by a central Jeep team. It clearly wasn't the fastest of processes however.

I am still waiting to hear back from the Motor Ombudsman after raising a complaint over the issues I have faced. Not sure if this will come to anything, but if they have received similar complaints it may trigger some form of investigation.

As in Frontal's case, there must be some good dealerships out there, but I get the impression most are more interested in selling you a vehicle than giving 1st class service once you have parted with your cash.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back to square one :angry:

ESS stopped working yesterday morning and refused to work later in the day despite a one hour long drive with no lights/heater/heated seats/heated wheel to draw current.
And still not working again today after another one hour journey with most of the electrics switched off.
Also the alarm has triggered twice in the past 24 hours.

So as far as I can see, all they have managed to do whilst having my car in the dealers for three weeks is to replace the previously replaced alarm sensors (fitted to stop the false alarms) which has now resulted in the false alarms returning.

I am awaiting a call back from Jeep Italy so I can discuss next steps.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another update :

After charging the vehicle batteries myself in early December the ESS work faultlessly for around a week. Then it stopped again. I reported my findings to the retailer and Jeep.
There were no false alarms either during the period the ESS was working which makes me think the alarm system may be sensitive to a low voltage condition.

Well knock me down with a feather! After months of messing around and me telling them that there was a known problem with the AUX battery (thanks to all the helpful input from this forum), they have now decided to replace the AUX battery.

I was advised of this decision somewhere around w/c 9th December. The Service Manager at Stoneacre called me to break the news, to tell me they were ordering a battery and to say they would call me once the battery was with them. I explained that I needed the vehicle the following week and through Xmas, so it would need to be fitted early in the New Year.

I followed up with them on Monday because they hadn't called back and they still don't have the battery in stock. Perhaps there has been a run on these AUX batteries, or perhaps they delayed ordering because they knew it wouldn't be needed until this week.

So the wait continues.
After the previous fiasco with having no 2.2 diesel oil filters in the country, I dread to think how long it would take to get spare parts if anything more serious were to happen.

Meantime the Jeep did sterling service at our sailing club the weekend before Xmas in the snow, ferrying those with mere mortal transport up the access road so they could enjoy Xmas lunch. Bring on some more bad weather ;)

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Another update :

After charging the vehicle batteries myself in early December the ESS work faultlessly for around a week. Then it stopped again. I reported my findings to the retailer and Jeep.
There were no false alarms either during the period the ESS was working which makes me think the alarm system may be sensitive to a low voltage condition.

Well knock me down with a feather! After months of messing around and me telling them that there was a known problem with the AUX battery (thanks to all the helpful input from this forum), they have now decided to replace the AUX battery.

I was advised of this decision somewhere around w/c 9th December. The Service Manager at Stoneacre called me to break the news, to tell me they were ordering a battery and to say they would call me once the battery was with them. I explained that I needed the vehicle the following week and through Xmas, so it would need to be fitted early in the New Year.

I followed up with them on Monday because they hadn't called back and they still don't have the battery in stock. Perhaps there has been a run on these AUX batteries, or perhaps they delayed ordering because they knew it wouldn't be needed until this week.

So the wait continues.
After the previous fiasco with having no 2.2 diesel oil filters in the country, I dread to think how long it would take to get spare parts if anything more serious were to happen.

Meantime the Jeep did sterling service at our sailing club the weekend before Xmas in the snow, ferrying those with mere mortal transport up the access road so they could enjoy Xmas lunch. Bring on some more bad weather ;)
ugh, mine went in to the dealership yesterday. It has the same symptoms as previously so I think they will be replacing the auxiliary battery again. Last time they received the battery overnight, it doesn’t look like that will happen again, I await the call.

As a side note they loaned me this Guilia which is a nice drive. If I was looking for a 4 door saloon I’d consider this. No good for 3 large dogs though!

1954AA05-506F-4025-8636-3E7DBA371E88.jpeg
E7C994B2-60AB-4758-99D3-9ECC7D399EA2.jpeg
Sponsored