Sponsored

Is it my bad luck or are all UK Jeep Service Dealers useless?

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
So, after three wasted visits to Arnold Clark to get warranty problems sorted (or not as was the case) and having to get Jeep Cares in Italy involved, we agreed that I should take the vehicle to a different dealer.

Roll forward to today.

Several weeks ago I booked it in for today at Stoneacre Cleckheaton to get the ESS looked at as Arnold Clark were incapable of fixing it. I then called them on Monday of this week to ask if they could do the 1st year service at the same time.
No problem was the answer.

Dropped it off at 8:45 and took a loan car for the day.

I then got a call at around 12 noon telling me they had no oil filter so they couldn't do the service !!!
Yep, a Jeep dealer with no basic service consumables.

When I went to collect the vehicle, I got the same story as Arnold Clark that they would need to keep the Jeep for a few days to test the ESS. So this means yet another journey to a dealer for them to do the testing, and presumably yet another for them to fit the parts once they have ordered them :(

Why didn't they book it in for a few days in the 1st place knowing that testing would be needed? And why the h**l haven't they got an oil filter in stock?

Rant over. Another call to Italy is on the cards on Monday morning.
Sponsored

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Well my sales experience at my dealers was terrible, will let you know about service once they get my new sway bar in

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
I'll make you all jealous.......

I have a very good dealer in Exeter that I have been using for about 12 years with my GC's and now my JLUR.

They are proactive and listen to the customer as well as going the extra mile to help.

Their Jeep service manager, regularly looks at this forum to get updates into what is happening in the JL arena.

Roy, their Jeep tech is fully up to date, and is regularly sent to the US for training.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Well my sales experience at my dealers was terrible, will let you know about service once they get my new sway bar in
From the pics of your Jeep it looks like the dealership is Mangoletsi?

I also had a poor buying experience (Unity Oxford) but I’ve had subsequent work done at Mangoletsi and been very happy with them. My Jeep has been in twice, once to sort out some warranty issues and again for the V41 recall . Both times they’ve provided a loan car, done everything that was required and kept me informed of progress throughout, all good. I hope your experiences/outcomes are similar.

I’ll definitely be going back for any future work/servicing.

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
From the pics of your Jeep it looks like the dealership is Mangoletsi?

I also had a poor buying experience (Unity Oxford) but I’ve had subsequent work done at Mangoletsi and been very happy with them. My Jeep has been in twice, once to sort out some warranty issues and again for the V41 recall . Both times they’ve provided a loan car, done everything that was required and kept me informed of progress throughout, all good. I hope your experiences/outcomes are similar.

I’ll definitely be going back for any future work/servicing.
Correct yes , my purchase was bad , no call backs , test drive was arranged but Jeep not there , delivery date given ended up being 2 weeks late bearing in mind I timed it with sale of outgoing vehicle.

He never returned my calls or emails.

Salesman promised to ring me the following week to arrange pickup but actually had a two week vacation starting the next day and didn’t pass my details to anybody, I had to ring to arrange collection.

Then he managed to add GAP insurance and some extra cleaning stuff to my order after I specifically declined this, that messed up the purchase on the day.

But this is just one guy, it has been fine with others so far and service team seem ok.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Correct yes , my purchase was bad , no call backs , test drive was arranged but Jeep not there , delivery date given ended up being 2 weeks late bearing in mind I timed it with sale of outgoing vehicle.

He never returned my calls or emails.

Salesman promised to ring me the following week to arrange pickup but actually had a two week vacation starting the next day and didn’t pass my details to anybody, I had to ring to arrange collection.

Then he managed to add GAP insurance and some extra cleaning stuff to my order after I specifically declined this, that messed up the purchase on the day.

But this is just one guy, it has been fine with others so far and service team seem ok.

Yes my buying experience was equally frustrating...not helped by the distance either.

Hopefully Mangoletsi will look after you on the service side and you can, like me, put all that behind you.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another update.

So it was back to Stoneacre again today for yet another investigation into the Stop/Start and for them to complete the 1st service.

Hurraaahhh!! They had an oil filter this time. And were very apologetic about my last visit.

On the ESS, they checked both batteries and said they were OK, and the alternator is working correctly.
They updated several bits of ESS related software and asked me to give it a few days to "calibrate" if it didn't start working immediately.

I'm still not convinced, but will do as they ask.

As with my 1st visit, the reception team were very helpful and cheerful, unlike the miserable crew at Arnold Clark.

Frontal

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2.2 diesel
Another update.

So it was back to Stoneacre again today for yet another investigation into the Stop/Start and for them to complete the 1st service.

Hurraaahhh!! They had an oil filter this time. And were very apologetic about my last visit.

On the ESS, they checked both batteries and said they were OK, and the alternator is working correctly.
They updated several bits of ESS related software and asked me to give it a few days to "calibrate" if it didn't start working immediately.

I'm still not convinced, but will do as they ask.

As with my 1st visit, the reception team were very helpful and cheerful, unlike the miserable crew at Arnold Clark.

Tony, as somebody that has investigated the ESS problem (I had it!) the issue is with the aux battery.

Software updates will not help.

Get them to test the aux battery correctly, and you will find that it is faulty.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is so frustrating.

It seems well known on this forum that the problem is linked to a faulty Aux battery.
I'm sure it won't start working later this week and I'll be calling them to book it in yet again. I will also ask them how they tested the battery.

It worked fine for the first 2 months that I owned the vehicle and then stopped. There were no software updates installed around that time or any change in driving patterns. So I agree, it's highly unlikely to be software related.

Watch this space!!

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And surprise, surprise, it didn't start working after the software update.

Booked in AGAIN, but this time I have insisted through Jeep Cares Italy, that the dealer has an AUX battery available to fit. This should avoid yet another trip to the dealer. Stoneacre confirmed this morning that they would order a battery in advance.

I tested the batteries myself yesterday using an ACT Gold battery tester and the Aux battery is down on voltage and the tester was unable to perform an AH test.

upload_2019-10-18_14-7-3.png

Hoping for a good outcome at the next visit, although it is worrying that these Aux batteries seem to be failing after a short lifespan.

Sponsored

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well we are now into the second week of Stoneacre investigating the ESS issue (again). It was supposed to be a 2 day job.

Earlier in the week they reported back that they had changed the alarm sensors as they were drawing too much current.
Lets hope the false alarm issue doesn't return!!!
I don't believe for one moment that the stop start isn't working due to alarm sensors flattening the AUX battery.
After an hours drive, if the battery was OK it would have surely have been topped up sufficiently to replace any energy lost through a minuscule current drain overnight.

They have messed around with various software updates to no avail and still it doesn't work. Sooner or later they must surely replace the AUX battery and/or AUX battery relay.

Stoneacre say they have Jeep Technical involved. Jeep Italy say they are waiting for Stoneacre to raise a technical ticket. All sounds like B***s**t to me.

I've spoken with Jeep this evening and told them that I am not happy and that I have raised a complaint with the Motor Ombudsman.
It shouldn't take six visits to two dealers to get this system working. I think it has cost me at least ÂŁ100 so far in fuel costs travelling backwards and forwards. Not to mention the torture of driving round in a Fiat 500L for the last 8 days.

Hoping for better news tomorrow, but not expecting it.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Sorry to hear about these ongoing issues you’re having Tony.

You may remember mine had the ESS problem and the random alarm events. The dealership identified the failed auxiliary battery as the cause of the ESS issue and replaced it. No problems since.

They said that they couldn’t find any faults with the alarm so nothing was done to fix it....but it has worked perfectly since the new battery was installed!

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi John,
Yes I remember your ESS issue and also Frontal's comments. And others who have had the Aux battery changed.
My own tests proved the battery was bad. But despite me sending the test details to Jeep and Stoneacre they seem hell bent on ignoring me and pratting around with sensor changes and software updates.
I'm convinced it is either the battery, or the battery relay which may not be allowing the Aux battery to charge.

What really annoyed me today was the attitude of the guy in Italy. He thought it unreasonable that I was fed up waiting to get it sorted after six visits to their dealer network. And he wasn't happy when I told him I was contacting the Motor Ombudsman. It may make no difference but I'm hoping the MO does take up the case. I am a very patient person, but I just don't think the problem is being treated with urgency between Jeep and their dealers.

Paul uk

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I went to order a new JL from my local Jeep dealer in Romford, Essex a few weeks ago and the scruffy young salesman with an obvious hangover had no idea that I used to own a JK. He started to make some errors comparing the features of the Rubicon with the Sahara. I let it go but then he told me that the new Wrangler is now made in Asia. I put him right and told him they were made in Toledo, Ohio and he replied all smugly “oh yes you’re right they’re made in Toledo, Italy.” I hurried along and ordered my Jeep from a more knowledgable dealer in Hemel Hempstead.

OP
OP

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sadly, it does seem as though many dealers have no concept of customer service.

My own case continues. Despite promises to call me on Thursday with an update, I heard nothing. I called today at 3pm to find out if any progress had been made. Couldn't get through to the service department so the receptionist took my number and said they would call back.
By 5pm I hadn't received a call, so I called again. Vehicle still not working and technician had gone home so they couldn't give me any more info.
They have promised to call back tomorrow morning at 9am with an update. So it sounds like I will be stuck with the Fiat 500L for another week :angry:
Sponsored