Sponsored

is it me or what (no spare tire on the rear of the jl.)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The rear- mounted spare can act as a shock absorber in a rear- end collision. Those fuel cans on the back will make an impressive fireball...
I always wondered how the rear-mounted spare passes the 2.5 mph no-damage crash test... I doubt the tailgate could withstand a 2.5 mph impact very well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
The rear- mounted spare can act as a shock absorber in a rear- end collision. Those fuel cans on the back will make an impressive fireball...
nice known ya. lol. good point, didnt even think of that.

Mangoman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Pharma R&D
My spare took quite a hit when a woman in an Land Rover rear ended me in my JK. All that was damaged was the cone looking piece that holds the tire.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Me too. JK rear ended at stop light by woman texting and thought light had turned green so she punched it. Hit the tire and slid under the bumper. Scuffed the tire and the bumper paint a little. $3,000 damage to her car.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
My spare took quite a hit when a woman in an Land Rover rear ended me in my JK...
Me too. JK rear ended at stop light by woman texting...
I am glad you both are okay but I am shaking my head in disapproval of their behavior.

It sounds to me like these women were probably very distracted, most likely discussing sugginapeen later that evening.

I’ll bet they TIREd easily that evening and that their impact was UPLIFTING AND really let the AIR OUT.

We can only hope that their experience makes them want to reTIRE from distracted driving, TREAD lightly and REVISIT only GOODYEAR decisions.

All puns FULLY intended.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

No reason to kill it now, lol.

I agree that it looks funny without the spare back there, HOWEVER, I'm hopeful that with the inevitable full-electric Wrangler, they put the spare up in the "frunk" where the engine currently sits, and redesign the tailgate so that it's a true drop-down tailgate vs the barn-door swing-out that we have today.

Just my personal preference.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I'm so glad someone resurrected this one. I think it looks dumb without a spare.

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
For me, its the front grille that is iconic. The spare on the back, ya, its right, but without is also super cool too.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
For me, its the front grille that is iconic. The spare on the back, ya, its right, but without is also super cool too.
Unless my old memory is blurry I remember the spare on the side at the rear of Dads flat fender and he moved it to the back
Sponsored