Sponsored

Is it just me or the proportions on the 2 door JL seem off?

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Proportionally, the 2 door JL looks way better to me with matching painted flares, as well as the nemesis flares. I still own my 93 YJ, it's been going under a transformation for a while now LS3/stretch/linked), but I am considering getting a 2 door JL for my wife now, so she won't take possession of my YJ when it's done.

OP
OP
I'm Negan

I'm Negan

First Name
Quincy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl, M4
I agree, I too have owned all model Jeeps since the YJ and I’ve always thought the 2door JL dimensions look off. Maybe it’s because of the rake of the windshield, but I think Ford however, really nailed the 2 door look. But then again, I’ve only seen Sasquatch package 2 doors, so the lift and tires probably plays a major role in that fact.

Edit: Went back and studied it and know why. First, the front part looks too long compared to the rear. Second, the rear tire is located too much forward in the wheelwell, like if the control arms should be a good inch longer, as opposed to the Bronco where its perfectly located.

I know it has to do with solid axles vs IFS, where swing arms travel back as they travel up, but still, lookwise it looks off.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or the proportions on the 2 door JL seem off? cj3

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or the proportions on the 2 door JL seem off? cj3
Also look how small the front windows look vs the Bronco's front windows

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I really like the look of my JL 2 door compared to older versions. The 2D Bronco looks great, but.. I own a Jeep, so I'm obviously biased. Now if they could just recreate the IH Scout. I've owned two of those and they were both fantastic and bullet proof. 😉 I think some company could make a lot of money buying the name and recreating that brand.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is almost perfect and looks like a real jeep. You guys just used to the JLU and ugly ass big pickup trucks. That bronco is hideous.

I get so many compliments on my jeep from girls I wish I had one back when I was single. If dozens of girls find my Jeep attractive and one weird Negan dude on the internet finds it ugly. I think I know the answer on how good the 2D looks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or the proportions on the 2 door JL seem off? IMG_20220412_155406202

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Now if they could just recreate the IH Scout. I've owned two of those and they were both fantastic and bullet proof. 😉 I think some company could make a lot of money buying the name and recreating that brand.
I think Ford did a great job making a modern Scout. Looks a whole lot more like a Scout 800 than it does an early Bronco.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or the proportions on the 2 door JL seem off? 1650600797271

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or the proportions on the 2 door JL seem off? 1650600949946

Last edited:

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Also look how small the front windows look vs the Bronco's front windows
Yup, true that. But to me, it’s really how the body is sitting too much rearward on the chassis. Looks really off, especially in the rear wheelwell.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to agree with the OP. The JL 2 door just looks a little off. Comparing pics of it with the TJ and CJ - the rear side windows of the older models were always squarish and now they are elongated. Reminds me of the LJ.
Don't get me wrong, I dig the 2-doors and have owned CJs and TJs. But I also love my soccer mom, hearse, roller coaster car, mini-van 4 door.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I like the 2-door and the 4-door JL. Each has their purpose and both look great. Seeing posts about the Bronco in comparison is funny - since that thing is very boring to look at in either configuration.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO - I remember when the first 4-door model came out. I was like, "Jeep, WTF are you thinking?!? That looks hideous." I think it was because up until that point all Wranglers were 2-door (and some, like the Scrambler, with a longer wheelbase) and the 4-door just didn't look proportioned correctly, kinda like the custom built 6-door Wranglers look now.

Fast forward to today, and I think the 2-door looks off, maybe because the 4-door outsells the 2-door 80% to 20%? Maybe because the 4-door is more common? I don't know. I do agree with some of the other that posted about windshield angle and the locations of the wheels/tires in relation to the body. I think the current setup favors the 4-door more. Don't get me wrong - I like both, I just think the 4-door looks...better (ducks to avoid the flying eggs).

The Bronco? HA! The only good Bronco is the first gen, but even then the CJ was still a better vehicle. Current model Bronco is hideous and REALLY off proportion-wise. I will say though that a little competition (Wrangler vs Bronco) is always a good thing though.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I get so many compliments on my jeep from girls I wish I had one back when I was single. If dozens of girls find my Jeep attractive and one weird Negan dude on the internet finds it ugly. I think I know the answer on how good the 2D looks.
This is a good example where people view their vehicles as an extension of themselves. Reading through the thread, the OP didn’t say the 2-door JL was ugly, he asked if the proportions of the vehicle seem off. As an objective observation, yes the proportions of both the 2-door JK & JL are off when compared to previous generation Wranglers .
The supposed so many compliments from girls has nothing to do with the OP’s question or opinion of the proportions of the vehicle.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
IMHO - I remember when the first 4-door model came out. I was like, "Jeep, WTF are you thinking?!? That looks hideous." I think it was because up until that point all Wranglers were 2-door (and some, like the Scrambler, with a longer wheelbase) and the 4-door just didn't look proportioned correctly, kinda like the custom built 6-door Wranglers look now.

Fast forward to today, and I think the 2-door looks off, maybe because the 4-door outsells the 2-door 80% to 20%? Maybe because the 4-door is more common? I don't know. I do agree with some of the other that posted about windshield angle and the locations of the wheels/tires in relation to the body. I think the current setup favors the 4-door more. Don't get me wrong - I like both, I just think the 4-door looks...better (ducks to avoid the flying eggs).

The Bronco? HA! The only good Bronco is the first gen, but even then the CJ was still a better vehicle. Current model Bronco is hideous and REALLY off proportion-wise. I will say though that a little competition (Wrangler vs Bronco) is always a good thing.
c'mon Blue, prior to this I liked all your posts :)
Should be a thread about the Gladiator proportions being whack, not the 2door, but whatever :)
Sponsored