Sponsored

Is it just me or do the headlights suck?

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
I tried those same 10k beamtechs last wknd and the cooling fan was very noticeable and annoying. Did yours sound like this:
I do notice the fan, but why didn't you put the housing back on to the back of headlight assembly? It's much quieter after you do that.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I do notice the fan, but why didn't you put the housing back on to the back of headlight assembly? It's much quieter after you do that.
I did and it was still annoying. Returning them and ordered the 8k fanless ones.

MotownJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler, 2011 Chevy Suburban
I did and it was still annoying. Returning them and ordered the 8k fanless ones.
That's cool... hope they work for you. But when the headlight assembly is closed in the back and the hood is shut, you hardly hear the fans at all.

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but your argument about the fan noise is kinda like complaining that your car leaks while you're in the car wash and your windows are down.

I haven't noticed the hum after the first day I installed the lights. In fact, I totally forgot about the hum until you replied with your video. And the quality is awesome for a great price compared to the stock LEDs. I'd be willing to bet that the light they produce is just as good as OEM.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
My previous vehicles all had Xenon/HID bulbs and the LED package was the only option missing on my 18 JLU Sahara. I almost cancelled the deal actually but figured I’d get aftermarket anyway and save the $900. I can honestly say the stock halogens aren’t that bad, I actually think they work just fine in city or country driving. Although I do get flashed occasionally I just assumed it was because I have Rubi take off suspension. Bonus is the snow and ice melts in the winter, so I plan to keep it as is.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Is it just me or are the regular headlights on the Wrangler not that bright? I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headlights or just something I just need to accept in a car (truck? suv?) that is a lot higher off the ground or if this is just shitty headlights. I've been driving little, low cars for most of my driving career other than my dad's Dodge Ramcharger and the Jeep Cheerokee that I learned on back in the early 90s. Is this just typical of the higher position of the headlights since they're further from the ground or something like that?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should consider a headlight upgrade or if those will just be blinding everyone on the road?

hey, they are much better than what the boys had on theirs Jeeps when they landed on Omaha Beach , ... they are OK but once the halogen bulbs burn out I will replace them with LEDs

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I think I’m the only forum member who has the fanless beamtechs and is unhappy with them. I swear they flicker very rapidly, albeit subtly. It was only noticeable for me when stoped and close to objects (other cars, my garage wall or door, etc), or standing outside the Jeep and looking at them. I’m on my second pair, and they’ll be going back to amazon this week.

light output and pattern were great, but that flicker drives me nuts. Didn’t get any bulb warnings, though. Going to just bite the bullet on actual LED headlights soon.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the 8K fanless Beamtechs. I just figured a fan is just one more thing to break. The output and pattern is great! You can also rotate the bulb to get the cutoff right. I’ve been flashed with the halogens and the Beamtechs, but after adjusting them, it hasn’t happened. Great upgrade plus you get to keep the Jeep grill housing. Interesting about the flickering. I expected it and bought the $10 resistors, too, but never needed them. Maybe it’s a bad set?

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Easy to fix...spend $40 on H13 Sylvania Ultra halogen bulbs or if you want LED, install the Beamtech bulbs linked below. It takes less than 30 min to install them and more than doubles the light output....no brainer
https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHCQ8KY

I have been running the BeamTech LED bulb replacement and I am pretty satisfied.. low beam is really good... high beam seems a lot less focused.. but for the cost is a huge improvement over those sad yellowish stock ones... I went with the fanless version as I am not a fan of "fan" bulbs.. LOL.. BTW... amazon has the Beamtech LED bulbs also as "AuxBeam" brand.. a bit cheaper.. here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GWW7BY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the halogens, but I added some Baja Designs Squadron R Pro wide/spot combos to the fog light position on my aftermarket bumper. With about 10,000 additional lumens from the Baja Designs lights, I don't lack for light on deserted roads and trails. But when low beams are necessary, the halogens are lacking compared to most modern vehicles. Not terrible, but not great. "Adequate" is a word that comes to mind.

Regarding the aftermarket LED replacement bulbs to fit halogen reflectors, every one of them that I've run across had tons of bleed above the cutoff and blinded oncoming traffic. The owners all believed they were great. Those that don't believe this should put a light meter above the cutoff and compare to the OEM bulbs.

NTLV

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Rubicon
Occupation
VIP Host Nightlife
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely recommend the beam tech 10k lumen bulbs. Supe East install. Cheap, and work fantastic. Night and day difference.

550C8845-80C0-4FB4-9D3E-90B2CAE08450.jpeg

51DBFFF3-5FC1-47F7-A9F4-7E960D85F710.jpeg

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Is it too early to say, “keep yer teeth yellow, yer belly big and yer Jeep lights white?” :CWL:

Factory halogens have come along way since the TJ. Spread love, it’s the Brooklyn way. I didn’t mean to rhyme lol.

But the factory front LEDs are really nice as well and definitely recommended.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
my jl sport came with the halogen h13 headlights and they were ok. not the best. i replaced them with the supernova v4 led bulbs and they are 1000x better. the cut off is sharp. as far as being flashed, yeah, every once in a while i'll get flashed (even with the halogen). however, these bulbs are no different to the newer tech led headlights that are found on todays cars. my lights are aimed at the tail lights / trunk line of any car out there. so i'm happy with the supernova headlights and fog lights from headlight revolution. the best part is that it only cost me $348 which is a better deal then $995 led package from jeep.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Absolute crime LED weren’t standard. My 2006 Infiniti came with LED standard

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I got halogen headlights on my JLU and they are pretty darn awful. My headlights on my wife's WK2 are much better and neither are as good as my E46 with xenon's.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The factory LED option is fantastic and well worth the +$995 extra imo
Not if you're getting the safety package that gets you the LED tails, then you'd have to pay another $995 for the headlights, which i wasn't going to do. That, and i really dislike the lit ring on the headlights.
Sponsored