Sponsored

Is it just me or do the headlights suck?

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Ya'll should have come along when all there was were sealed beam highlights.
We were smart enough not to blind ourselves with bright dashlights and gadgets back then. Nothing like watching your uber driver trying to squint past his full bright smartphone screen with his hibeams on.
Sponsored

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Just got a new 2019 JL Rubicon in January and it didn't come with factory LEDs. I drove with the halogens for a couple of weeks while I researched going LED bulbs or replacing the headlights. I eventually decided it would be better to just replace the headlights even though it cost over $300 more that replacing the bulbs. I'm glad I did. I went with Oracle Oculus bi-LEDs and they are super bright. I've not been flashed once. They are aimed perfectly out of the box. They installed in about one hour, plug and play. Add a few minutes to wire up the halos.
Install videos:

[URL='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58SWdVo_EQ'][URL='https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y58SWdVo_EQ']

[/URL][/URL]

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
If the headlights REALLY sucked then they would have sold a lot more of them.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Here's the comparison I just did between factory lights and Sylvannia Silverstar Ultra. I used manual mode on the camera so exposure was consistent, but I wasn't in the same exact spot for the "after" pictures, so aiming is different.

OEM low beam
jt oem low.jpg

Ultra low beam
jt ultra low.jpg

OEM high beam
jt oem high.jpg

Ultra high beam
jt ultra high.jpg

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Replacing just the bulb is a great step forward on improving your viewing pleasure. The issue I found was, the headlight itself is an issue. The stock headlight from FCA doesn't provide the right focus of light in my opinion that lights up the road safely in front of me. It acts more as a flood light while the factory LED and other LED units (like the Oracle that I installed) provide focused light in critical areas of the road. The other thing I noticed was that turning on the flood lights did not provide significant enhancements to night viewing (this is with no fog).

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
We were smart enough not to blind ourselves with bright dashlights and gadgets back then. Nothing like watching your uber driver trying to squint past his full bright smartphone screen with his hibeams on.
Your Uber driver has skills! He was probably just trying to show off his multitasking abilities! lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Here's the comparison I just did between factory lights and Sylvannia Silverstar Ultra. I used manual mode on the camera so exposure was consistent, but I wasn't in the same exact spot for the "after" pictures, so aiming is different.

OEM low beam
jt oem low.jpg

Ultra low beam
jt ultra low.jpg

OEM high beam
jt oem high.jpg

Ultra high beam
jt ultra high.jpg
Huge improvement.

davidafuller

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUS (Granite Crystal)
Occupation
CPA
Just got a new 2019 JL Rubicon in January and it didn't come with factory LEDs. I drove with the halogens for a couple of weeks while I researched going LED bulbs or replacing the headlights. I eventually decided it would be better to just replace the headlights even though it cost over $300 more that replacing the bulbs. I'm glad I did. I went with Oracle Oculus bi-LEDs and they are super bright. I've not been flashed once. They are aimed perfectly out of the box. They installed in about one hour, plug and play. Add a few minutes to wire up the halos.
Install videos:

Without a doubt my favorite purchase yet, too.

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
Stock LEDs on mine and they're fantastic. Probably the option on mine I'm most grateful for. Have them on all 3 vehicles and they've been well worth it. Learned from my wife's 2014 Cherokee how bad the normal lights were so HID or LED were a must.
Agreed! I will never buy another vehicle without the LED light option! Worth every penny

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Is it just me or are the regular headlights on the Wrangler not that bright? I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headlights or just something I just need to accept in a car (truck? suv?) that is a lot higher off the ground or if this is just shitty headlights. I've been driving little, low cars for most of my driving career other than my dad's Dodge Ramcharger and the Jeep Cheerokee that I learned on back in the early 90s. Is this just typical of the higher position of the headlights since they're further from the ground or something like that?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should consider a headlight upgrade or if those will just be blinding everyone on the road?
I’ve got the factory LED’s and they are bright AF. Glad I sprung for the option. Well worth the price in my opinion.

Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
Retired
Yea..poor lighting... that's why I don't get it when I get flashed by oncoming traffic!??! :swear: I can barely see ahead of me and they flash me because they think I have my high beams on! ( and I did adjust the headlights down to accommodate others)

:movember:
(I wonder if it has to do with the globe-like shape of the headlight glass....)
The LED headlights on my new Willys are the best on any car or truck I have owned , including an '07 Patriot , Chereoke and Renegade

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I had to replace my halogens. On the way home from the dealership with my JL with 12 miles on it, I nearly hit a deer!
I went the LED bulb route and hated them. Within two days of having them installed, I purchased a set of LED headlamps and LED Fog lights from @InspiredEngineering.
Love them. They might not be the brightest LEDs available but I don't get flashed. Now I can see those pesky suicidal deer.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I have to say, turning the dash brightness down at night makes it much easier to see with the stock halogens. And, they are a MAJOR improvement over older lights - anyone here ever drive an old XJ at night?? :CWL:

otter3591

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
Is it just me or are the regular headlights on the Wrangler not that bright? I'm not sure if this is an issue with the headlights or just something I just need to accept in a car (truck? suv?) that is a lot higher off the ground or if this is just shitty headlights. I've been driving little, low cars for most of my driving career other than my dad's Dodge Ramcharger and the Jeep Cheerokee that I learned on back in the early 90s. Is this just typical of the higher position of the headlights since they're further from the ground or something like that?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should consider a headlight upgrade or if those will just be blinding everyone on the road?
You are right, they are not very bright, I hate mine, will upgrade eventually!
Sponsored