Sponsored

Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart
A lot of JL mods are suspension related and may not be evident until you are up close and personal. Many times interior mods are not obvious unless you are, again, up close and personal. Jeeps are the "in" vehicle among the yuppie set right now, and many of those will never be modded or taken off road. A woman in our neighborhood went from a Land Rover to a Jeep Sahara Unlimited, that lasted about 4 or 5 months, and now she drives a 2022 Land Cruiser. There are a lot of that type of owner out there right now, depending where you live.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Maybe it’s the substantial price increase, maybe they have moved onto other things but…

I was having a discussion with my wife tonight after we saw a modded JK, and we both agreed that during the JK’s prime there were many more modded Wranglers rolling around town then there are for JLs.

Ive felt like this for a while now, I rarely see lifted JL’s with larger tires and aesthetic mods anymore…All I’d see is the occasional JT with large muds, a roof rack and lift.

Hell I used to see JKs with dynatrac axles runnin around town more than I see modded JL’s nowadays. Maybe those people all switched over to muscle cars for now since there are more Dodge Chargers on the road than Honda Civics lol

thoughts?
Maybe more of those Jeep-toy-minded folks are leaving New York City? There are plenty of them moving here, unfortunately, and we have plenty of modified JLs rolling around.

It takes time and parts availability to modify Jeeps. I already see LOTS of modified JLs. Many northwest dealers will install the Mopar lift, 37s, and lights on a few stock Jeeps to spruce the lot up a bit, but some of the newer models don’t have good parts availability yet. That will improve.

The JL has been around about 4 years now. As others have suggested, by the time the model has been around as long as the JK was near the end, modified JLs will be as thick as fleas.

Last edited:

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I don't see very many modded JLs around town either. I see a bunch of them on the trail though.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Price, of both the Jeep and the mods. The JK aftermarket is far better. The JL aftermarket, even after 5 production years, does not have the same depth and array of selection. And now tire and gas prices have risen sharply.

Many of those under 30 these days seem to care not about cars one bit. All it does is get them to where they want to be. Many don't care about what they drive or even if they take Uber, as long as they get somewhere. The old saying, getting there is half the fun, no longer applies.

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I can’t speak for others but when I bought I went with the rubicon because it had almost everything I needed for my off road pursuits and I really liked the look of the it in its stock configuration.

I’d like to go up a tire size but for now I still have my stock 33”s because they haven’t worn out yet and I have a hard time justifying purchases when I have something that already works.

The only other big mods that I would like are a bumper, winch, and reinforced spare tire carrier. What’s stopping me from going this route? I haven’t found an aluminum bumper with a recessed winch mount and slots for the factory fog lights that I like the look of yet. The reinforced spare tire carrier from Mopar is stupid expensive and until I go to a larger tire I can’t justify it.

I have small mods though that are hidden to anyone passing by like hood struts, rear seat recline kit, and a gmrs radio mount. Other than that I have invested more in off road accessories for recovery and security than direct mods to the Jeep.

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
I'm one to wait for my warranty to expire before doing substantial mods, maybe others are the same. Give it a few years and maybe once people's loans are paid off they'll spend that spare $$$ on mods.
Exactly. I’m in a JL that I’d love to lift but the fear of warranty issues is keeping me stock.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Exactly. I’m in a JL that I’d love to lift but the fear of warranty issues is keeping me stock.
That's one of the reasons that I'm having mine built by AEV. It's built in conjunction with the Jeep factory, so the full warranty covers the 37s, 3" lift, Bilsteins with reservoirs, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, boron steel bumpers, lights, etc.

I also love the way it looks. The fact that it drives incredibly well is just icing on the cake.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That's one of the reasons that I'm having mine built by AEV. It's built in conjunction with the Jeep factory, so the full warranty covers the 37s, 3" lift, Bilsteins with reservoirs, 4.56 gears, Warn winch, boron steel bumpers, lights, etc.

I also love the way it looks. The fact that it drives incredibly well is just icing on the cake.
Does AEV do anything to beef up the axles, ball joints, axle shafts, knuckles, etc. to handle 37’s? I would be surprised if Jeep would warranty the stock axles while running 37’s.

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Bought a 2022, paid 58K and imediatley put 15k worth of mods on it. I bought it for that mission and purpose. To use it!

now these people that buy pickups and slam them to the ground…. That baffles me! Why buy a vehicle and not use it for its intended purpose.

Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
A big part of new JL owners are buying just to have a Jeep, and those owners are typically the ones that won't be doing any mods...and they also don't wave. 😂

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a 2022, paid 58K and imediatley put 15k worth of mods on it. I bought it for that mission and purpose. To use it!

now these people that buy pickups and slam them to the ground…. That baffles me! Why buy a vehicle and not use it for its intended purpose.
Everyone has a different threshold.

I had no problem buying a new $35,000 Wrangler, modding it and beating the crap out of it on the trails. On the other hand, a $55,000 Wrangler...not so much.

Wrangler buyers’ composition — and disposition — is going to keep changing as long as prices continue to escalate faster than inflation.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
TBH I think I see more modded JLs than stock around here, and on our travels. Seeing an off-the-lot bone stock JL is seemingly rare IME. The mods might just be a set of bigger tires or some steps, but most that I've seen have something non-stock on them.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Maybe it’s the substantial price increase, maybe they have moved onto other things but…

I was having a discussion with my wife tonight after we saw a modded JK, and we both agreed that during the JK’s prime there were many more modded Wranglers rolling around town then there are for JLs.

Ive felt like this for a while now, I rarely see lifted JL’s with larger tires and aesthetic mods anymore…All I’d see is the occasional JT with large muds, a roof rack and lift.

Hell I used to see JKs with dynatrac axles runnin around town more than I see modded JL’s nowadays. Maybe those people all switched over to muscle cars for now since there are more Dodge Chargers on the road than Honda Civics lol. When I had my 2015 Sahara I felt like I was part of a big family…always waving…now it’s soccer moms in JLs lol

thoughts?
The JL is sooooooo much better than the JK at just about everything I’ve found little that has to be modified for what I need today. Granted I’m not out crawling rocks every weekend but the newer platform is much easier to live with as delivered vs my JK that I don’t want to mess anything up modding.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.