Sponsored

Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
The introduction of the 4-door Jeep was when everything changed. Jeeps were starting to be purchased by SUV people who want "the look" instead of just "Jeep" people who enjoyed the ups and downs of Jeep ownership. That ratio has only tilted more and more to the SUV people as the Wranglers got more and more expensive.

Want proof, look at the stats. A TJ with an auto is worth less than a comparable TJ with a manual. That's because Jeepers are the only ones still buying TJs. JKs with manuals are hard to find. JLs with manuals are impossible to find, on a new lot or used. Gotta order one if you want it. Look at the percentage of 2-doors Vs 4-doors now. Good luck finding a 2-door Rubicon with a manual transmission.

I was hoping the new Bronco would create competition and reign in those annual high price hikes that Jeep has been doing for a decade. But Ford is a dumpster fire right now, and it hasn't slowed Jeep down with the price hikes.
Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
Strategically, Jeep could benefit from another cheaper but capable off-roader. Might be a business case for a “Wrangler Classic” - similar to what Ram does with it’s trucks. Sell the Sport and Sport S JKU Wranglers alongside JLs new, at a discount.
Do you remember the "Cherokee Classic"?
I had one of them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR] DSCN0047.JPG

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Strategically, Jeep could benefit from another cheaper but capable off-roader. Might be a business case for a “Wrangler Classic” - similar to what Ram does with it’s trucks. Sell the Sport and Sport S JKU Wranglers alongside JLs new, at a discount.
Agreed. I started a thread on the very subject.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
No matter the consumer product from phones to motorcycles to bicycles to autos, on forums there is always group of self described “gatekeepers” looking down their noses at new groups of buyers. Forgetting that their cherished companies were facing, went through bankruptcy or disappeared completely by not evolving to today’s buyers. Those that did are mostly doing fine. Sounds like old men grumbling about better days gone by. On Harley forums it mostly is 😂
Particularly hilarious for me as a rider is the Harley vs Sportbike dance offs, one side dresses like gay pirates other side dress like power rangers and both love to strike a pose equally 😎

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
No matter the consumer product from phones to motorcycles to bicycles to autos, on forums there is always group of self described “gatekeepers” looking down their noses at new groups of buyers. Forgetting that their cherished companies were facing, went through bankruptcy or disappeared completely by not evolving to today’s buyers. Those that did are mostly doing fine. Sounds like old men grumbling about better days gone by. On Harley forums it mostly is 😂
Particularly hilarious for me as a rider is the Harley vs Sportbike dance offs, one side dresses like gay pirates other side dress like power rangers and both love to strike a pose equally 😎
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR] 1652723597524

Sponsored

ZBRA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SJ Cherokee, SJ Gladiator, JKU, & JL
Do you remember the "Cherokee Classic"?
I had one of them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR] 1652723597524
The 2nd generation 2008-2012 Liberty and sister 2007-2012 Dodge Nitro are worthy replacements for the XJ. They both definitely feel like the natural evolution of the XJ Cherokee. Pretty nice vehicles. The 1st gen Liberty is hot garbage.

OP
OP
Matt878

Matt878

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 15 Sahara 2dr 6 speed, current 18 JLU S
Occupation
You wouldn’t like me if you knew
A lot of people have some negative attitude toward my original post.

it wasn’t meant to stir up any deep seated insecurities one may have about themselves and their Jeep LOL.

I was simply drawing attention to the fact that it seems like the culture of customization has been dying since the release of the JL.

earthgirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
?
I have had a 2005 Rubicon (TJ-had a small lift on it - Got it stuck on the Wisconsin pipeline in the sludge) , a 2011 Sport (JK), and now I have my dream 2020 JL Willys. I'm 5'2' tall so the stock 32's are fine with me, 33 would be the highest I'd go. I always wanted a CJ and the fact that the JL is built as a throwback to the CJ, makes me hesitant to change much. I have added smart things like steps, hood struts, door sill covers, tow hitch, d-rings, KC lites, etc. but I like to keep it as stock as possible. I fell in love with jeeps because they were war heroes, not so I could climb a wall of rock and beat the crap out of it. I'm planning to grow old with this one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR] unnamed (31)

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR] unnamed (30)

Last edited:

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people have some negative attitude toward my original post.

it wasn’t meant to stir up any deep seated insecurities one may have about themselves and their Jeep LOL.

I was simply drawing attention to the fact that it seems like the culture of customization has been dying since the release of the JL.
Projection post right there😀

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
The introduction of the 4-door Jeep was when everything changed. Jeeps were starting to be purchased by SUV people who want "the look" instead of just "Jeep" people who enjoyed the ups and downs of Jeep ownership. That ratio has only tilted more and more to the SUV people as the Wranglers got more and more expensive.

Want proof, look at the stats. A TJ with an auto is worth less than a comparable TJ with a manual. That's because Jeepers are the only ones still buying TJs. JKs with manuals are hard to find. JLs with manuals are impossible to find, on a new lot or used. Gotta order one if you want it. Look at the percentage of 2-doors Vs 4-doors now. Good luck finding a 2-door Rubicon with a manual transmission.

I was hoping the new Bronco would create competition and reign in those annual high price hikes that Jeep has been doing for a decade. But Ford is a dumpster fire right now, and it hasn't slowed Jeep down with the price hikes.
And here I thought JLUs are more common in auto because they get better mileage, and by some standards perform better than a manual off road, and because the manual trans is built like garbage now ;)

Sponsored

gijoejd

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
When we all drove TJ’s and saw the new JK….we said the same thing. “Look at all those soccer moms driving those 4 door Jeeps around! Jeeps shouldn’t have 4 doors!”

Now we’re all driving 4 door wranglers and complaining about something else….like ducks. Who f’ns ducks Jeeps?! Or paint matched fenders “Those only belong on a bougie Sahara, anyway!”

I guarantee you in the future people will throw a fit over a fully automated top that comes basically standard and the purist will only get a black manual soft top just because.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
No matter the consumer product from phones to motorcycles to bicycles to autos, on forums there is always group of self described “gatekeepers” looking down their noses at new groups of buyers.

Sounds like old men grumbling about better days gone by.
Projection post right there.

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
The near doubling of MSRP over the past ten years has pushed the buyer demographic upscale. I live inJeep heaven and see many modded JLs, but not near what we saw with the JK. Our local dealer is a PITA if you lift your Jeep, totally out of touch with the local buyers. They actively discourage larger tires, anything other than the factory lifts, etc.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Currently living in the land of paper plates (Las Vegas) I see equal to equal modded JL and JKs. Now when you speak about the AMOUNT of mods done, I almost feel like some of the JK owners have owned their Jeeps too long. I say that because some of these things look absurd to me with the sheer volume of bolt on crap added. Of course, I feel like many of the JLs were purchased directly when SEMA is in town. Equally absurd. Huge purple wheels, Rotopax containers on every corner, triple bypass shocks. I don't care what model or even make someone owns as I enjoy time on the trails difficult or easy, and enjoy seeing differing irons, modded or not. Admittedly, when I see them modded out and clearly never left the asphalt, I have... thoughts.

OP
OP
Matt878

Matt878

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 15 Sahara 2dr 6 speed, current 18 JLU S
Occupation
You wouldn’t like me if you knew