Sponsored

Is it just me or are current Wrangler buyers different…[CLOSED DUE TO INSULTING BEHAVIOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Well for me I had a JK Sport. Modded it because I needed to. Fast forward 10 years and ordered a JL Rubicon. Everything I wanted and needed out of the box except for the winch. Less time wrenching and more time wheeling.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The JL is sooooooo much better than the JK at just about everything I’ve found little that has to be modified for what I need today. Granted I’m not out crawling rocks every weekend but the newer platform is much easier to live with as delivered vs my JK that I don’t want to mess anything up modding.
Agreed. My stock Sahara came with as much ground clearance as my JK Rubicon Recon.

My JL Sahara with a Mopar lift and 35s is a beast on the trails; nearly as capable as my JK Rubicon was with similar mods.

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
Well for me I had a JK Sport. Modded it because I needed to. Fast forward 10 years and ordered a JL Rubicon. Everything I wanted and needed out of the box except for the winch. Less time wrenching and more time wheeling.
Agreed, the Rubicon comes decked out right out of the box and all under warranty.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
I think it has to do with capability and market segment - when you're spending 45-60k or more on a vehicle, and it does exactly what you need it to do out of the box, it's harder to justify expensive mods in a recession (2x decline in gdp by quarter is how I'd define that). Conversely, if you're lookin to do some real serious rock crawling, you're not likely to select a vehicle that costs 45-60k that doesn't do what you need it to do until you spend upwards of another 20k on a lift, axles, regear, wheels/tires etc.

What is fun about the older vehicles my buddies and I always had/still have: Jeep's TJ/JK, 1st/2nd Gen Tacomas/FJ's etc, is at the end of the day even their refinements are simple. AC is a feature - maybe there's lockers...maybe not. Not difficult to add if you really need it. Most things are actuated by simple motors and pushrods/cables. In the case of the TJ and Tacos, a belt turns the fan and it's super easy to check the clutch. You can even get valve lash adjusters out in about an hour if you know how to pop them off. They're just....easy...and fun to work on.

The current vehicles are not this way - and that's fine - it allows Jeep to get some more dollars per vehicle. It lets people who'd never buy a Wrangler enjoy them. I have zero doubt, however, the average JL purchaser now is in a different market segment than the average TJ buyer in 2006 when they rolled the last of the 4.0s off the line.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Does AEV do anything to beef up the axles, ball joints, axle shafts, knuckles, etc. to handle 37’s? I would be surprised if Jeep would warranty the stock axles while running 37’s.
From what I understand it's covered by the warranty. It's a collaboration between the two companies, with many of the AEV engineers being former Jeep employees.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I think it has to do with capability and market segment - when you're spending 45-60k or more on a vehicle, and it does exactly what you need it to do out of the box, it's harder to justify expensive mods in a recession (2x decline in gdp by quarter is how I'd define that). Conversely, if you're lookin to do some real serious rock crawling, you're not likely to select a vehicle that costs 45-60k that doesn't do what you need it to do until you spend upwards of another 20k on a lift, axles, regear, wheels/tires etc.

What is fun about the older vehicles my buddies and I always had/still have: Jeep's TJ/JK, 1st/2nd Gen Tacomas/FJ's etc, is at the end of the day even their refinements are simple. AC is a feature - maybe there's lockers...maybe not. Not difficult to add if you really need it. Most things are actuated by simple motors and pushrods/cables. In the case of the TJ and Tacos, a belt turns the fan and it's super easy to check the clutch. You can even get valve lash adjusters out in about an hour if you know how to pop them off. They're just....easy...and fun to work on.

The current vehicles are not this way - and that's fine - it allows Jeep to get some more dollars per vehicle. It lets people who'd never buy a Wrangler enjoy them. I have zero doubt, however, the average JL purchaser now is in a different market segment than the average TJ buyer in 2006 when they rolled the last of the 4.0s off the line.
What about us geezers that bought CJs off the line :)

Steemax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 4xE
I don't know, but I have a feeling more people are now leasing rather than buying and heavily modifying a leased vehicle is out of the question for most.

I'd say 90% of the trails near me can be done on a stock JL Rubicon so I'm having a very hard time justifying spending $4k on a 2" lift plus wheels + tires when it won't benefit me plus will just cause me to spend more on gas with these crazy prices.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The original spirit of the CJ and even the YJ-era Wrangler has long since been diluted by Federally-mandated safety equipment, and perhaps more telling, consumer expectations.

I still remember stopping by a CDJR dealer, on a whim, to consider a new JL-era Wrangler after selling my YJ 25 years previously. Observing how these vehicles can now be configured across what seemed like 37 trim levels -- Adaptive Cruise Control, 20" wheels, leather seating surfaces(!) -- I wondered only half jokingly if the model still had the right to have the word "Jeep" applied to it.

I agree with the prior comments that the sheer price of admission now in play necessarily affects how the owner might, or might not, want to avail himself of the vehicle's capability. This by extension will inform what hard parts will or won't be bolted to the body and frame, even with the passage of time.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma
I think it’s a combination of things but feel increased MSRP’s are the main driver. A decently loaded Rubicon now runs $65k. It doesn’t leave much discretionary funds after the monthly car payment that most buyers take on.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My opinion is it makes sense to see less modded Wranglers. The JL is more capable, efficient, comfortable, and has the technology many want. That increases it’s potential pool of buyers. The JL comparatively needs less mods to go the same places as a JK for those who actually go off-road and push their vehicle’s capabilities.

Sponsored

Deleted member 74991

Maybe it’s the substantial price increase, maybe they have moved onto other things but…

I was having a discussion with my wife tonight after we saw a modded JK, and we both agreed that during the JK’s prime there were many more modded Wranglers rolling around town then there are for JLs.

Ive felt like this for a while now, I rarely see lifted JL’s with larger tires and aesthetic mods anymore…All I’d see is the occasional JT with large muds, a roof rack and lift.

Hell I used to see JKs with dynatrac axles runnin around town more than I see modded JL’s nowadays. Maybe those people all switched over to muscle cars for now since there are more Dodge Chargers on the road than Honda Civics lol. When I had my 2015 Sahara I felt like I was part of a big family…always waving…now it’s soccer moms in JLs lol

thoughts?
Back in my day……
We get it back in the day gas was 15 Cents a gallon you had your own home at 18 and 2 kids in college. Most people are tapped out after spending 50K or more on a Wrangler.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Traded in my 2020 JLUR with a 2” Rancho Lift on 35’s for 2022 JLR. Added a winch and some side steps and as of now plan on keeping the suspension stock as well as the tires. The factory ride is quite nice and from what I’ve seen, a 2 door on 33’s equals a 4 door on 35’s. The break over angle and turning radius is far superior to the 4 door.

No real rocks to climb here in Michigan, and until I experience something on the trails that would warrant a lift and 35’s, I’ll Jeep on as it sits now.

And yes they are expensive and many including myself daily drives theirs. People have to strike a balance between off-road capabilities and on road comfort. The Jeep Wrangler is more capable off-road than the majority of drivers.

Unless you are financially secure enough to buy into the JL platform as strictly an off-road toy and have very little need for on road performance and comfort, than I would expect far more mods and a purpose built rig.

I am grateful Jeep’s keep getting better and I am fortunate enough to own one. Having the options to mod or not still knowing it’s one one the most awesome vehicles available today with exceptional off-road ability and an amazing history puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. There’s Only One: JEEP ✌🏻

Last edited:

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Agreed, the Rubicon comes decked out right out of the box and all under warranty.
im a dunes and sand guy, stock rubicon center of gravity and geometries are fun in sand. And i'm different; mojito different.

20220322_115438.jpg

MilkSteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I think it's like others said, give it time. Most people don't go too crazy when they first buy their JL. Also with inflation and everything going on right now, people might be spending less on mods.

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
Well, this probably won't be popular here, but I'll tell my sad "current JL buyer" tale just to add to the stats ;)
I'm handing down my 8 year old grand Cherokee to my newly licensed son. I'm old now, in my 50s so I felt like this is my last chance to buy something fun. I ordered my Willys 4 door 3 months ago.
When I started out looking, I was all about a manual trans, as I missed rowing my own, but by the time I actually ordered, I went with a 3.6 etorque and auto trans. I also built my Willys with all the cushy stuff I wanted instead of getting a Rubicon and paying for off road capability I know I won't use. The Willys has enough beefed up components for any light use she might see from me.
I won't be modding much, maybe some bumpers and stuff, but I can't see wheeling my 52k car over boulders anytime soon.
Seems like by the time I came around to buying a "real jeep" I am at a point where I'm too old to really use it without stressing out about damaging it.
So yeah, mine won't see a lift or anything aggressive (I don't think), but it doesn't mean she won't be loved.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.