Sponsored

Is it hard to switch from Hardtop to Premium Soft on JLUR?

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
First time Jeep Owner. Rubicon JLU. We ordered the Painted Hard top. But we travel in the summer to TN and Indiana. Is it difficult to remove Hard top and attach Soft top? Do we need to attach a track for the Soft Top? I was not sure on what to do. I did not order the Dual Top, per our sales guy. We didn't know much about it. I see on the Forums it's popular to have Dual Tops. Please provide feedback.

Thank you.

ckorte13
Sponsored

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Comes with all the hardware when you buy the soft top.

OP
OP
ckorte13

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
Comes with all the hardware when you buy the soft top.
Thank you... but.. How much work is involved to switch them? That is what I would like to find out.
Anyone purchase the Dual, and switch them yet?

Does the process take more then 15-20 minutes, or does it take an hour? How much is involved to switch the tops...

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Thank you... but.. How much work is involved to switch them? That is what I would like to find out.

Does the process take more then 15-20 minutes, or does it take an hour? How much is involved to switch the tops...

Your first time will take a few hours until you’re familiar with the hardware. It’s def not something you’ll want to be doing on a weekly basis. Also, the first time the fabric of the soft top will be very tight and hard to stretch. You’ll want to leave the soft top in the sun for a few hours to “warm up” so it’s easier to put on.

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
You did it the right way. Buy the hard top with the Jeep then switch to the soft top. When you get the hard top from the factory you get all the wiring done in advance .Then you can more easily switch between the two .

That said, the soft top should be fairly easy to mount once the hard top is removed. I don't think you'll spend more than an hour getting it installed.

Sponsored

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter

Does the process take more then 15-20 minutes, or does it take an hour? How much is involved to switch the tops...[/QUOTEthe duel top body color
I was wondering the same thing , I ordered

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Last edited:

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
I’d have to count but there’s like 8 or 9 pieces of hardware along with the actual top and windows. You have to take the hard top off and then install each piece in the correct spot and then put the top on. I’m guessing a couple hours to make sure all the parts are in the correct spot the first time. I won’t be doing it til ski season is over in late May so I’m sure there will be a step by step video on YouTube by then.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
How's about the best of both worlds. Take the hard top off, but have it with you if the weather turns "South"--no soft top required.

Downside.....must permanently attached crossbars to hardtop roof: not that costly considering that many of us put gear on the top of your rigs anyway with crossbars....

The clumsy turnbuckle's since between replace with double "U" hardware.

https://top-off.biz/what-sets-topoff-apart-from-the-competiton/

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I just switched from hard to soft top and it was a pain in the ass! Only because the fabric is so damn tight and has not stretched out yet. Two hours of cussing at the thing. Rails are easy to install, it was getting the front two latches lined up and the 3 back windows. The big back window was by far the worst.

First Jeep so about how long does it take for the fabric to stretch? I dont really want to remove the windows again till there is a bit more give in the whole process.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just switched from hard to soft top and it was a pain in the ass! Only because the fabric is so damn tight and has not stretched out yet. Two hours of cussing at the thing. Rails are easy to install, it was getting the front two latches lined up and the 3 back windows. The big back window was by far the worst.

First Jeep so about how long does it take for the fabric to stretch? I dont really want to remove the windows again till there is a bit more give in the whole process.
It's not about the age, it's all about temperature. Gotta let it warm up.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Leave it on the lawn for at least an hour, to let the sun warm the fabric up before installing.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Watch these a couple of times beforehand:

Have someone help you whose relatively strong and at least 5'5" I'd guess.

I see no reason why it couldn't be a spouse--male or female.

Process not trivial first time, but not hard or enormously straining either

Save all the hard top bolts in place in cargo area .

If you need to take off hard top yourself I'd consider buying something to help you do that. Plenty info on the forum about tools to do that. Back of hard top is a cumbersome and bulky more than heavy: 100 pounds.

Consider if you'll need a storage device for hardtop on, say, wheels.

Store hard top and Freedom Panels out of the way so they won't get scratched. Prepare place first.

Forget about using supplied wiper and electric hose holder from FCA. Unless they fixed it in the 2019 it simple doesn't fit with the soft top. Just put hoses to the side.

Clean windows of soft top with plastic window cleaner only like Plexus.

303 Formula's a great top cleaner.

Enjoy!
Sponsored