Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I live high country CO (the coolest temps yet most intense sun due to elevation in the nation) and I can feel the heat radiating through the top freedom panels, but then again, we have FULL SUN every damn day of the week. I wouldn't be able to deal with it back in south Texas for sure.

I'm considering some kind of hard top insulation.
Sponsored

GatorDon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
US Navy
Ok this is kind of an odd question, so I've been in the market for a Rubicon or a Rebel and I've been really torn between the two but lately I've been leaning a bit more to the Rubicon.

A friend of mine had one and he says the Jeep always felt like an oven (had a hard top) that was impossible to cool down the interior even with the A/C on full blast. This would be my first Jeep and he didn't have the Jeep for a long time so idk if he's just being dramatic about it or if there's some truth to that. I live in Arizona where our Summers like to push above 110°.....
Ok this is kind of an odd question, so I've been in the market for a Rubicon or a Rebel and I've been really torn between the two but lately I've been leaning a bit more to the Rubicon.

A friend of mine had one and he says the Jeep always felt like an oven (had a hard top) that was impossible to cool down the interior even with the A/C on full blast. This would be my first Jeep and he didn't have the Jeep for a long time so idk if he's just being dramatic about it or if there's some truth to that. I live in Arizona where our Summers like to push above 110°.....

I have a factory hard top which I thought was hot when I got it in June. I put in a Hot head headliner and also had ceramic window film installed and the interior stays cool even in triple digit temps.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a factory hard top which I thought was hot when I got it in June. I put in a Hot head headliner and also had ceramic window film installed and the interior stays cool even in triple digit temps.
I've wondered about this multi-piece hard top liners. Mine radiates heat from every surface so just insulating certain areas doesn't seem like it would work...

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I'm in Las Vegas - been 100 to 115 for the last two weeks - and I've had no issues with cooling. I have the hard top w/o liners. I'm parked in the sun all day at work and simply hit the remote start a few minutes before I get in. On the city streets the fan is set to 4 or 5 but am able to back it off to 3 when on the freeway.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
^^^ this. Talk to motorcycle riders who have lots of miles under their ass. Once you get above 93F you run the risk of pretty quick dehydration and heat stroke at-speed. Your body is working overtime to try and get evaporative cooling and the wind removes it so quickly you can go south very fast.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I'm in Las Vegas - been 100 to 115 for the last two weeks - and I've had no issues with cooling. I have the hard top w/o liners. I'm parked in the sun all day at work and simply hit the remote start a few minutes before I get in. On the city streets the fan is set to 4 or 5 but am able to back it off to 3 when on the freeway.
I live near Tucson, Arizona and it was 109˚+ this weekend. I was fine in the front seat, but some rear passengers were complaining that the rear eyeball vents weren't pushing that much air. I felt them and it was pretty dramatic how much less the air flow was. I pointed the middle two front vents down the middle and switched from Auto for climate control to maximum fan speed and recirculation engaged. Within 5 minutes after that adjustment they we feeling much better. I need to look into window tint as I think that will help with interior temps. I use an ultimate folding heat shield from Autoheatshield in my front window and it really helps keep the Jeep cooler.

OP
OP
BeerMeBruh

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I did end up going with a JLUR instead of a Rebel. Felt like I'd get more of my money's worth since I don't have anything to tow.
Anyway, I'm planning on doing this now. I'm gonna head back to the dealer when I get a chance to order the insulation then I'm also gonna put a light tint on the front windshield.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
My Jeep is Crystal Granite (nearly Black) I have Black interior, I live in Phoenix where we have been stuck around 115 degrees for about the last month. I have had no issues cooling off my jeep. I do remote start and cool it off before I go anyplace, otherwise the steering wheel is to hot to touch. But honestly no issues. My soft top was another story.........Never again, I will take this top off but I wont own another soft top. I have had 4 of them. They make the hard top so nice now I was really impressed....

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
Find your local vehicle wrap guy. Have him do a white panel on the top. Stay back about 3 inches from the edges and it's not readily noticeable. I did this on a '15 JK with a black hardtop and it made a 30 degree difference in full sun on 95 degree day compared to another JK parked beside it.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I have a JK in Florida and JL in California which I take into Death Valley. Never had any issues with A/C. Plenty cool.

Sponsored

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Saw that you made your Jeep choice and are planning on some form of insulation. Personally, I'd recommend Hothead Headliners with Sound Assassin strips, as they are thicker than the Mopar version of headliners. I live in San Antonio, and it's been over 100 daily the last two weeks (until today). Installed my headliners back in the spring. Even before I installed them I never felt like my roof was crazy hot, but they definitely make a difference in cooling/heating speed in the cabin, as well as dramatically (for me) reduce overall noise. No matter what brand you go with they will definitely help in both areas.

IMG_20200216_174432.jpg

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I live in Queensland, Australia where our average year temp is 24c with summers in the high 30 Celsius and some times 40s. ( sorry u use Farenhiet temp readings so 20c is 68F ). We have a JL Sahara With hard top and have no issues with keeping the interior a comfortable temp. In fact the aircon works extra well and probably as good in not better than in our Grand Cherokee .

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm in Ohio, black hardtop, and never had any problems. I have swapped out the front panels for the Bestop Sunrider and it is a bit warmer but manageable.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Are the soft top windows tintable? Just curious. I had a hardtop with my YJ, but once I got the soft top the hard one collected dust. I have the top back/off every chance I get.
That said, the JL A/C works great, but the black soft top gets HOT. If you're parked in the sun, it will be toasty.
Rule #1 for me- find the shade. Any tree or large object that provides it becomes my best friend.

OP
OP
BeerMeBruh

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Saw that you made your Jeep choice and are planning on some form of insulation. Personally, I'd recommend Hothead Headliners with Sound Assassin strips, as they are thicker than the Mopar version of headliners. I live in San Antonio, and it's been over 100 daily the last two weeks (until today). Installed my headliners back in the spring. Even before I installed them I never felt like my roof was crazy hot, but they definitely make a difference in cooling/heating speed in the cabin, as well as dramatically (for me) reduce overall noise. No matter what brand you go with they will definitely help in both areas.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is it hard to keep your interior cool? IMG_20200216_174432
I like how clean that looks. Idk if I'm gonna do these or the Mopar ones cause I may be able to get the mopar ones for employee pricing
Sponsored