Sponsored

Is it hard to keep your interior cool?

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Ok this is kind of an odd question, so I've been in the market for a Rubicon or a Rebel and I've been really torn between the two but lately I've been leaning a bit more to the Rubicon.

A friend of mine had one and he says the Jeep always felt like an oven (had a hard top) that was impossible to cool down the interior even with the A/C on full blast. This would be my first Jeep and he didn't have the Jeep for a long time so idk if he's just being dramatic about it or if there's some truth to that. I live in Arizona where our Summers like to push above 110°.....
Sponsored

Hava-Jeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Huntington Beach, CA / Lake Havasu City, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon,
Occupation
Retired
Ok this is kind of an odd question, so I've been in the market for a Rubicon or a Rebel and I've been really torn between the two but lately I've been leaning a bit more to the Rubicon.

A friend of mine had one and he says the Jeep always felt like an oven (had a hard top) that was impossible to cool down the interior even with the A/C on full blast. This would be my first Jeep and he didn't have the Jeep for a long time so idk if he's just being dramatic about it or if there's some truth to that. I live in Arizona where our Summers like to push above 110°.....
I have a body colored hard top and factory headliner. I’ve been told that it will stay cooler than the black. That being said, I don’t bring my Jeep to Arizona during the summer months.

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
Factory hardtop here. Bought it without the factory headliner and noticed it was warmer than I liked in summer. Added the factory headliner, which was easy to do and noticed a difference immediately. Plus it reduced cabin noise, too. AC has no problem cooling the cabin down in 100 degree heat. It does help to open the cabin up and let that hot air out first. That quick flush of air speeds the cooling considerably. There are other options for headliners that work equally well, too.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Mine is OK in Ohio - soft or hard top - but for you in AZ, I'd recommend getting a color-matched hard top in a light body color and buying some aftermarket headliners - I think the HotHead ones are way cheaper than the MOPAR ones and probably just as good.

But I can attest that the A/C on MAX is very very capable. It's ice cold and I never need it full blast for more than a couple minutes. YMMV in the desert heat and sun.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeerMeBruh

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Factory hardtop here. Bought it without the factory headliner and noticed it was warmer than I liked in summer. Added the factory headliner, which was easy to do and noticed a difference immediately. Plus it reduced cabin noise, too. AC has no problem cooling the cabin down in 100 degree heat. It does help to open the cabin up and let that hot air out first. That quick flush of air speeds the cooling considerably. There are other options for headliners that work equally well, too.
What did that run you cost wise?
I was wondering if something like this was possible cause i like OEM stuff haha. I'll probably get the Rubicon then if this is feasible.

gunny71

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2door stingray rubicon 2012 Jk 2door sport
I live in Texas and routinely see Temps over 100 in the summer. No problems at all with AC cooling it down and keeping it cold. Just put a soft top on and no issues with it either.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My A/C system is powerful but because dark colors are hotter than light, I optioned white and white top. Hothead liners helped but I also changed the color of some of the black interior plastic exposed to sun. I use a windshield cover, also makes a big difference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it hard to keep your interior cool? JL interior 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Is it hard to keep your interior cool? JL interior 2

I have yet to recover the seats to match.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeerMeBruh

BeerMeBruh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
My A/C system is powerful but because dark colors are hotter than light, I optioned white and white top. Hothead liners helped but I also changed the color of some of the black interior plastic exposed to sun. I use a windshield cover, also makes a big difference.

I have yet to recover the seats to match.
I like that, very clean. These headliner ideas are pushing me more towards the Rubicon now.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I wanna say when we got ours it was $525....but the aftermarket versions weren't available when we got ours either.

**EDIT** BTW, a few friends here in Phx have JKs with the black hard top, no insulation.....they get hotter in the summer inside and don't cool off well even with the A/C at max. Most of them have gotten the insulation panels for that reason.

That seems like our experience with both of our JK's. Now we get the super fighter jet sounding JL fan to keep us cool. LOL