Sponsored

Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I called Teraflex and told them my $2400 brake kit doesn't really feel any better than OEM. I also told them I bleed the brakes twice after install. They recommended an ABS bleed. Anyone know where to do this???
When the dealer bled mine, they did the ABS too. They said they did seem to find any air bubbles. I doubt it will help yours.
Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates on this issue?
Judging form the lack of responses, I would guess that new Jeep owners now realize and accept that Jeeps do not drive and handle like their previous vehicle and have gotten used to the brakes on the JL, which are not as unsafe as they previously tried to poject to others.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Judging form the lack of responses, I would guess that new Jeep owners now realize and accept that Jeeps do not drive and handle like their previous vehicle and have gotten used to the brakes on the JL, which are not as unsafe as they previously tried to poject to others.
No not really, I still feel that my brakes are unsafe and currently on vacation so just taking a break from fighting with stealerships in trying to resolve the issues.

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This thread has nothing to do with "projecting" on others that Jeeps are unsafe and don't handle like other vehicles. This is about some of us not getting a solid pedal until pumping the brakes once. I've driven more Jeeps than just mine to know something is not right, somewhere, just not sure where.

You may want to post your theory in one of the loose steering or death wobble threads.

Sponsored

leolo222

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This thread has nothing to do with "projecting" on others that Jeeps are unsafe and don't handle like other vehicles. This is about some of us not getting a solid pedal until pumping the brakes once. I've driven more Jeeps than just mine to know something is not right, somewhere, just not sure where.

You may want to post your theory in one of the loose steering or death wobble threads.
Have no idea if this is related or not, just another place to look I guess. My 2019 Sahara has a firm enough brake pedal that I haven't noticed anything feeling soft. My other vehicle is a 2012 Ram 1500 that recently did have a soft pedal that I would have to pump once for a normal firm brake pedal feel. I drove around for longer than I probably should have like that until finally checking it out. It ended up being a rear caliper that was stuck. Replaced that and all is normal again.
Maybe you have a caliper that is stuck??

VegasJeepJL

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Have no idea if this is related or not, just another place to look I guess. My 2019 Sahara has a firm enough brake pedal that I haven't noticed anything feeling soft. My other vehicle is a 2012 Ram 1500 that recently did have a soft pedal that I would have to pump once for a normal firm brake pedal feel. I drove around for longer than I probably should have like that until finally checking it out. It ended up being a rear caliper that was stuck. Replaced that and all is normal again.
Maybe you have a caliper that is stuck??
Take it in - I had the same thing and they started with a brake bleed with no effect.
Turned out to be brake master cylinder was failing - 26 days in the shop waiting on parts - it sucks but at least the jeep feels safe again.
Don't ignore this!

Good luck!

rayzjeep

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
I have the soft pedal too and thought it was normal until I drove my friends 2020 JL. I about locked up the tires multiple times when driving his because of how firm the pedal was. Haven't gotten around to taking it in because of the dealer BS as they'll say it's my 37" tires or lift or something I did.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
I have an appointment tomorrow with my local Jeep dealership, I'll post the aftermath.

Brakes have bothered me for awhile, I figure I'd better go in now while it's under warranty. 17K miles on it, no mods so I don't have to worry about warranty issues.

Can't believe I'm saying it but my brakes (on first pump) feel worse than my old Ram 1500 that I traded in for it.

Pads have plenty of life on them (up front anyway). Haven't checked the rear.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I have an appointment tomorrow with my local Jeep dealership, I'll post the aftermath.

Brakes have bothered me for awhile, I figure I'd better go in now while it's under warranty. 17K miles on it, no mods so I don't have to worry about warranty issues.

Can't believe I'm saying it but my brakes (on first pump) feel worse than my old Ram 1500 that I traded in for it.

Pads have plenty of life on them (up front anyway). Haven't checked the rear.
Thanks, keep us updated.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Just got back from the dealership, they had to order a new master cylinder.

Once installed, I'll update with how effective it is.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I had a master cylinder fail on a new Acura a number of years ago - exact same symptoms described here.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Thanks for sharing. I’ve honestly never even heard of that but appears to be a relatively common issue.
Sponsored