Sponsored

Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Curious, has anybody having this issue stood on their brake pedal in a panic stop? My thought would be that if the ABS still triggers, then you are probably getting enough pressure to stop and are OK. The difference being if you pumped once before hand and then panic stopped, perhaps the ABS would trigger a little higher up in the pedal travel.

Now, if the ABS does not trigger in a panic stop and it takes two pumps to make it trigger, then that’s a problem.

I only ask because I didn’t read that anyone tested the theory with a panic stop.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Curious, has anybody having this issue stood on their brake pedal in a panic stop? My thought would be that if the ABS still triggers, then you are probably getting enough pressure to stop and are OK. The difference being if you pumped once before hand and then panic stopped, perhaps the ABS would trigger a little higher up in the pedal travel.

Now, if the ABS does not trigger in a panic stop and it takes two pumps to make it trigger, then that’s a problem.

I only ask because I didn’t read that anyone tested the theory with a panic stop.
read 3 posts up.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
You've got to love the service guys. Just because they are all bad, that makes them all normal. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Reminds of the patient that comes in specifically for lower back pain. I inquire about other issues, like headaches. She says she "gets a few.' I say, 'how many?' She says: "oh, you know... just a few." Again, I say... 'well how many is that?' She says... "4-7 headaches per week." 'Holy cow lady, that's not normal' I say. She then says... "well, all of my friends get 4-7 headaches per week so I just thought that was normal."

Just because it's common, it doesn't make it normal.

Sounds like Jeep has quite a few screw ups going on, right?

crushinit

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and WK2
I feel the same way about my brakes. I also have a 2015 GC and feel much more comfortable with how those perform, even 4 years and 60k miles in.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
read 3 posts up.
He said he has to stand on the brakes in a panic stop to trigger the ABS. That’s what should happen. If this is happening without a second pump then I’d say yeah, it’s working properly. If the want here is touchier brakes, I wouldn’t want them.

Ever driven a Crown Victoria? You can accidentally sneeze on the brake pedal and trigger a nosediving ABS stop. Who wants that?

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
He said he has to stand on the brakes in a panic stop to trigger the ABS. That’s what should happen. If this is happening without a second pump then I’d say yeah, it’s working properly. If the want here is touchier brakes, I wouldn’t want them.

Ever driven a Crown Victoria? You can accidentally sneeze on the brake pedal and trigger a nosediving ABS stop. Who wants that?
That was my post.
Yea I get you, however it seems that every other vehicle I’ve driven these days have these touchy brakes and once you get used to the way the brakes behaves on the JL, it’s frustrating to drive other vehicles because as soon as you touch the brake pedal you jolt to a stop and makes me look like a bad driver.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was my post.
Yea I get you, however it seems that every other vehicle I’ve driven these days have these touchy brakes and once you get used to the way the brakes behaves on the JL, it’s frustrating to drive other vehicles because as soon as you touch the brake pedal you jolt to a stop and makes me look like a bad driver.
I gotcha. My van feels not unlike the Jeep but my wife’s Outback has that more stout, stronger “feel.”

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I have had the same issues with my Jk’s, and now with the JL.

It’s not a loss of braking, just longer pedal travel.

I attribute it to rear pad wear. When you hit the brakes the first time, the gap closes between the disc and rotor. The second pedal effort is firmer because the caliper has not ret fully returned to its original state—thus the shorter pedal travel.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. 2019 JLR built in January. Soft brake pedal on the first pump, 2nd pump it's way firmer with much more responsive braking. Took it in to the dealer a few months ago to have this addressed. Guess what the problem was? Nothing. Working as per normal. Yeah right.

Sponsored

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The second pump firmer pedal works on all cars, its normal function.

What is not normal is excessive soft pedal on first pump.

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
I called Teraflex and told them my $2400 brake kit doesn't really feel any better than OEM. I also told them I bleed the brakes twice after install. They recommended an ABS bleed. Anyone know where to do this???

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I called Teraflex and told them my $2400 brake kit doesn't really feel any better than OEM. I also told them I bleed the brakes twice after install. They recommended an ABS bleed. Anyone know where to do this???
Easy go in a dirt road and brake hard enough to trigger ABS 3-4 times.

This will make the ABS pump open and release air bubbles, then bleed brakes... let us know if it works.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Sounds like BS to me. They just don't want to return you the 2400 bucks LOL

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Sounds like BS to me. They just don't want to return you the 2400 bucks LOL
The brakes look huge. I believe it's 2 cylinders on each side so 4 total?? The OEM rears have 1 cylinder and the fronts have 2. The clamping force would almost have to be greater. They said the pads are from Dodge Ram (JK version) or Tundra for JL version.
Sponsored