Sponsored

Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 JLUR, no lift w/35" tires, 9k miles. I'm experiencing a somewhat soft brake pedal unless I pump it a second time, then the brakes feel very firm and responsive, as they should. On the second pump, the pedal travel is much less than the first attempt when coming to a stop and the brakes feel very good. I've bled them, thinking there may be some air trapped somewhere, but didn't see any improvement afterwards.

Is this a common thing for the Rubicon Unlimited? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a fix. Thanks in advance for any info.
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
No, that should not be common. I'd actually be surprised if it happens even rarely on something this new, nowadays. Hopefully I'm not off-base here, I guess you'll have to see if others chime in. This issue sure sounds like a bad MC or some other problem within your system. I'll try mine but I've never noticed any difference between first and second pump.

WreakingHavoc

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Psychiatric Nurse
I have a 2018 JLUR, no lift w/35" tires, 9k miles. I'm experiencing a somewhat soft brake pedal unless I pump it a second time, then the brakes feel very firm and responsive, as they should. On the second pump, the pedal travel is much less than the first attempt when coming to a stop and the brakes feel very good. I've bled them, thinking there may be some air trapped somewhere, but didn't see any improvement afterwards.

Is this a common thing for the Rubicon Unlimited? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a fix. Thanks in advance for any info.
I have mine in the dealer right now for the very same thing. 2019 JLUR 7000K. Will update when I pick it up.

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine has been like this since day 1. Second pedal press is solid and feels great! So im always pumping them when I use them.
I keep telling myself to take it in and let them bleed the brakes.
I was hoping a bleed would take care of mine as well, but I can't say I felt any improvement. That's not to say it won't help yours, so it may be worth trying.

Sponsored

WreakingHavoc

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Psychiatric Nurse
I was hoping a bleed would take care of mine as well, but I can't say I felt any improvement. That's not to say it won't help yours, so it may be worth trying.
Dealer just called, said they acknowledged what I was describing, bled brakes, checked houses, vacuum and lines. No change in breaks, "will notify me if there's a recall". So nothing done.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer just called, said they acknowledged what I was describing, bled brakes, checked houses, vacuum and lines. No change in breaks, "will notify me if there's a recall". So nothing done.

I'n gonna subscribe to this thread Duane. My '19 JL at first had the same phenomenon. It seemed to get better, but the pedal was very soft when I pulled into the garage the other day. It's been OK ever since, but I don't expect it to stay that way. Please let us know if the dealer contacts you.

The first thing I checked was the fluid of course, but let the matter lay as it was doing OK. But, I would think it's has to be in the master cylinder. Summtin' ain't rite........he says with his best southern accent. :)

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I had/have the same issue. Took it in nd and they said nothing was wrong. Claimed to have taken out three JLs off the lot to check and they all did the same thing.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I had/have the same issue. Took it in nd and they said nothing was wrong. Claimed to have taken out three JLs off the lot to check and they all did the same thing.

You've got to love the service guys. Just because they are all bad, that makes them all normal. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Whoa.......that's trippy. So how well does it stop in a panic stop situation, on the first pump? Makes me wonder how compromised your stopping distance is, damn.

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Following because I have the same situation on my 18" JLUR with 11,000 miles. Second pump is definitely firmer and I've made it routine to lightly pump my brakes twice, especially when I need to stop quickly. That said, when I've stood on my brakes to avoid some dummy turning in front of me twice in the last month, the brakes were solid. I haven't seen any TSB or recall or really any other owner with the same until now.

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I haven't noticed anything unusual in my 2019 but I'll pay more attention now and report back if I think there's an issue. I will say that I have noticed similar behavior in other non FCA vehicles I own though, if I pump on the brakes they tend to firm up. I never considered it abnormal behavior.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual

pumping brakes is never a good sign of properly functioning braking system and that will apply to all the cars and Jeeps out there

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
This is a total guess, but I do remember something in the manual about two hydraulic systems and there being pedal softness if one wasn’t working.

WreakingHavoc

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Psychiatric Nurse
Funny, they said same words to me, hmm?
Sponsored