Sponsored

Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm new to this thread and I have to confirm that my JL needs a second pump in order to stop in any reasonable amount of time. I will tell you I am researching this issue as my wife was just in an accident in July where in a panic stop situation there was no ABS engagement and rear-ended another car. The Jeep had to have a full frame replacement and still has awful brakes, in a panic stop situation it flat out will not stop unless receives a second pump of the brakes.
Sponsored

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Please let us know how your appointments go! If either of you need assistance, our team is in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Appointment was earlier today here are the results so far.
Diagnoses is a bad Master Cylinder - had to order one not sure how long it will take. Hopefully that is the only issue and the part comes in quickly. Will update ya all when I have more information.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
On my 2018 JLU Sahara, the brake pedal just recently became spongy/soft. I notice this driving on the highway in traffic. Its a bit scary when traffic comes to a halt in front of you and you expect your vehicle to stop quickly. I have not tried pumping twice, though maybe that is a good idea. Im taking it in to the dealer soon as I can. I have no mods at 26K. Doesn't seem like pads or rotors should be worn already, especially since most of 26K is highway. Also I am not doing a comparison between other vehicles. My jeep does not stop the way it did a month or two ago.
Hi, james@15. Let us know when you're able to get to the dealer, we are happy to discuss with you further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

So I'm new to this thread and I have to confirm that my JL needs a second pump in order to stop in any reasonable amount of time. I will tell you I am researching this issue as my wife was just in an accident in July where in a panic stop situation there was no ABS engagement and rear-ended another car. The Jeep had to have a full frame replacement and still has awful brakes, in a panic stop situation it flat out will not stop unless receives a second pump of the brakes.
We're sorry to hear you're experiencing concerns as well, MyJlU. We're in private message when you get an appointment set.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Diagnoses is a bad Master Cylinder - had to order one not sure how long it will take. Hopefully that is the only issue and the part comes in quickly. Will update ya all when I have more information.
Thank you for letting us know, Saddle Tramp. If you are seeing an extended delay for delivery, please let us know and we will dig in further.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Received a call today that my parts are in and I have an appointment next Wednesday 10/13.
Hoping for a quick fix

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I have a 2021 2dr Rubicon with 8500 miles. My brakes failed and almost t-boned another car. Once I finally got it to stop and took back off the brakes acted normally again. wtf ?

Sponsored

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please let us know how your appointments go! If either of you need assistance, our team is in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Here is an update - had a new master Cylinder installed today and there is no difference in the brakes at all. Even the tech was surprised. He agrees that something is not right, Chrysler claims it is normal. They are advancing up to something I think they called STAR. I find it hard to believe that anyone would consider these brakes normal. Hopefully they will come up wit a solution or this thing will be up for sale shortly.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Received a call today that my parts are in and I have an appointment next Wednesday 10/13.
Hoping for a quick fix

what you list isnā€™t surprising, they donā€™t diagnose problems anymore. They take a test drive then guess, load the parts cannon, and fire away. A master cylinder is very easy to test and would be 100% accurate.

james@15

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JL Sahara
I finally have an update. My dealer had my jeep for 8 days. First day test drive the mechanic said he could feel something was off and would investigate the next day. Next day he could not reproduce and I was told this and that it was functioning as designed. I bitched pretty good and the service manager agreed to test drive. Then I was told again functioning as designed. More bitching, the mechanic drove it home and I was told he recreated finally. Antilock module was replaced at a cost to me. I was out of regular warranty in March but not powertrain type of warranty. Update: Part number: 68438390AA Description: "Control Anti"

Jeep cares or anyone can you comment on if this should have been a warrantied part or not??? When I got my paperwork from the dealer it said Warranty but they called me the next day and said I owed $$$$$$ .

Keep in mind I do not know if they simply said hey lets throw a part at this guy and get him to shut up or if they really thought this was the issue. The pedal now feels like it is softer than previously. I do not know yet if the issue is repaired.

Another possible related issue. My engine stop/start does not function very well any longer. The dealer swore up and down it is working as designed, though it does not work the same as it used to. Further, the loaner they gave me, a jeep compass, the engine stop start worked much much much better than on my jeep. Same technology but the dealer told me its not an accurate comparison. I wonder if these guys believe what they are saying or not. I sure don't. Is anyone else who is having brake issues seeing issues with engine stop/start as well?

I have had two close calls, nearly rear ended two different cars when traffic suddenly stopped in front of me. I could feel the pedal go to the floor in these situations and I was lucky to have stopped in time. I really hope this fixes it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I finally have an update. My dealer had my jeep for 8 days. First day test drive the mechanic said he could feel something was off and would investigate the next day. Next day he could not reproduce and I was told this and that it was functioning as designed. I bitched pretty good and the service manager agreed to test drive. Then I was told again functioning as designed. More bitching, the mechanic drove it home and I was told he recreated finally. Antilock module was replaced at a cost to me. I was out of regular warranty in March but not powertrain type of warranty. Update: Part number: 68438390AA Description: "Control Anti"

Jeep cares or anyone can you comment on if this should have been a warrantied part or not??? When I got my paperwork from the dealer it said Warranty but they called me the next day and said I owed $$$$$$ .

Keep in mind I do not know if they simply said hey lets throw a part at this guy and get him to shut up or if they really thought this was the issue. The pedal now feels like it is softer than previously. I do not know yet if the issue is repaired.

Another possible related issue. My engine stop/start does not function very well any longer. The dealer swore up and down it is working as designed, though it does not work the same as it used to. Further, the loaner they gave me, a jeep compass, the engine stop start worked much much much better than on my jeep. Same technology but the dealer told me its not an accurate comparison. I wonder if these guys believe what they are saying or not. I sure don't. Is anyone else who is having brake issues seeing issues with engine stop/start as well?

I have had two close calls, nearly rear ended two different cars when traffic suddenly stopped in front of me. I could feel the pedal go to the floor in these situations and I was lucky to have stopped in time. I really hope this fixes it.
That part would only be covered by the 3 year, 36k mile warranty.

ESS problems could be related. We had a Cherokee in yesterday with a bad brake booster that was causing ESS faults. Itā€™s a complex vehicle for sure.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hey, james@15! We see you sent a private message as well, so we will continue to work with you there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Five Seasons

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2009 BMW 135i, 2002 Honda S2000,
Just adding my own experience to this thread. When I bought my jeep the pedal feel was plus in my book which is why I am exceptionally disappointed by the feel after only 40,000 km. The breaks are spongy and require a double pump to restore a responsive feel. In desperation I replaced the pads to no avail. I then bled the system and finally replaced the master cylinder. All to have the same mushy break feel at the end of it. I have given up on fixing it. Hopefully someone in this thread has a magic fix.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Just adding my own experience to this thread. When I bought my jeep the pedal feel was plus in my book which is why I am exceptionally disappointed by the feel after only 40,000 km. The breaks are spongy and require a double pump to restore a responsive feel. In desperation I replaced the pads to no avail. I then bled the system and finally replaced the master cylinder. All to have the same mushy break feel at the end of it. I have given up on fixing it. Hopefully someone in this thread has a magic fix.
Did you not bother to test anything? The brake system is fairly complicated, replacing parts and random isnā€™t going to help anything. Itā€™s going to be a problem with vacuum assist.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
I have a 2021, 2-door Wrangler Rubicon, with a December, 2020 production date. It now has 19,000 miles.

For the last couple of months, I have had a noticeably low brake pedal, intermittent issue. Many times I get a low brake pedal when applying the brakes, and after just one pump, the brake pedal is again at a normal height.

Went to the dealer today, and they re-flashed the computer. Mechanic said it was a mandatory computer flash update, and had something to do with the emission system.

The brake pedal feel and height are now perfect! Like brand new, with a nice high, firm brake pedal. I have no idea if the computer re-flash did something to the brake pedal height/feel/firmness or not, but the brakes sure work well now.

Anybody with a low brake pedal, or a soft brake pedal, may want to take it to the dealer and see if there is some sort of computer re-flash, or computer update. It worked for me.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I have a 2021, 2-door Wrangler Rubicon, with a December, 2020 production date. It now has 19,000 miles.

For the last couple of months, I have had a noticeably low brake pedal, intermittent issue. Many times I get a low brake pedal when applying the brakes, and after just one pump, the brake pedal is again at a normal height.

Went to the dealer today, and they re-flashed the computer. Mechanic said it was a mandatory computer flash update, and had something to do with the emission system.

The brake pedal feel and height are now perfect! Like brand new, with a nice high, firm brake pedal. I have no idea if the computer re-flash did something to the brake pedal height/feel/firmness or not, but the brakes sure work well now.

Anybody with a low brake pedal, or a soft brake pedal, may want to take it to the dealer and see if there is some sort of computer re-flash, or computer update. It worked for me.
Considering that the brake pedal is entirely and solely connected to a hydraulic mechanical system, no, it didnā€™t fix anything.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering that the brake pedal is entirely and solely connected to a hydraulic mechanical system, no, it didnā€™t fix anything.
I have no idea excatly how the Jeeps Brakes are configured. But I had a Polaris Sling Shot with an intermittent brake fade ( drop to the floor) No one could figure it out. Replaced every component in the hydrolic system with no changes. Turned out to be a bad wheel sensor (intermittent failure) it was sending bad data to the ECU for the ABS.
Sponsored