Sponsored

Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I have a 2018 JLUR, no lift w/35" tires, 9k miles. I'm experiencing a somewhat soft brake pedal unless I pump it a second time, then the brakes feel very firm and responsive, as they should. On the second pump, the pedal travel is much less than the first attempt when coming to a stop and the brakes feel very good. I've bled them, thinking there may be some air trapped somewhere, but didn't see any improvement afterwards.

Is this a common thing for the Rubicon Unlimited? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a fix. Thanks in advance for any info.
if you ever went through a driving school you would know well that it is not normal , how is the floor? are there any large holes?
Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Thanks for sharing. Iā€™ve honestly never even heard of that but appears to be a relatively common issue.
Kind of a bummer, but I didn't buy another FCA product thinking it was going to be Toyota-reliable. I'm just glad I'm still under warranty.

Bummer is that I was going to install my under-hood ARB compressor. But that's on hold until the MC is replaced. Don't want the tech to have to in an even tighter environment, nor do I want to risk the dealership giving me shit about mods and warranty.

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Alcon is the way to go. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Super heavy, fully armored rig on 39's with a rooftop tent and it'll still put your face into the dash and lock up all four if you get on them.

It's the route I'm going once I am ready.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Kind of a bummer, but I didn't buy another FCA product thinking it was going to be Toyota-reliable. I'm just glad I'm still under warranty.

Bummer is that I was going to install my under-hood ARB compressor. But that's on hold until the MC is replaced. Don't want the tech to have to in an even tighter environment, nor do I want to risk the dealership giving me shit about mods and warranty.
UPDATE:
Had my Master Cylinder replaced by dealership, I definitely notice an improvement. I don't have to pump the brake to get it to bite, it's a nice even feel without that feeling of the pedal falling away to the floor as you seen objects in front of you nearing at a speed way faster then you were expecting.

Tech notes said there was a small leak and the fluid was very dark. Not sure WHY, it's only got 17k on it, but it seems to be better now.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Well it looks like I found the correct thread - I am having the same issue with a 2021 Rubicon Diesel.
What I think is to much travel in the brake pedal before I notice engagement. After 2 different dealers told "its a jeep thing" I have just been learning how to deal with it. It is my first jeep and I was comparing it to my other vehicles which are not jeeps. My wife drove it for the first time today an there was panic in her eyes the first time she hit the brakes. Guess I will try and find another dealer to look at it. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I should look for to help identify if I have an issue or is this just how these things drive. I really enjoy driving this thing it is a blast, but the brakes have me concerned

Thanks

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Add another one to the list.
Has anyone upgraded to braided brake lines? The feel reminds me of older sports cars where the rubber brake lines are expanding under pedal pressure.

BlackberryFarm

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU
Add another one to the list.
Has anyone upgraded to braided brake lines? The feel reminds me of older sports cars where the rubber brake lines are expanding under pedal pressure.
This is my 4th wrangler, 1st JLRU. Very familiar with vehicles. vehicle had 18,000 miles when I purchased it. I noticed the soft brake pedal when I first started driving it. here's the symptons:

soft pedal, seems to go close to the floor when pressed.
can pump brakes and pedal has less travel, however if I hold a continuous press, it goes to the floor. Brake pedal does not push back up if A/C or some electrical drain or vacuum ceases.

Car stops, but too long of a distance. ABS does not kick in with a normal brake press. ABS will kick in if emergency (hard) press.

Took it to dealer and explained the symptoms. they kept it all day. long story short - service manager stated they agreed with soft pedal but could not find any mechanical parts problem. They stated they spoke with Chrysler/FCA regional rep. He was told by rep that with the "new" (read - JL) wrangler, there is a "check valve" in the system that helps alleviate "Air" within the system. ???

My question - why would there be "air" in the system? Why a valve to help alleviate the "air" - sounds like a problem within the system. if there truly is a valve... then that implies there is a known issue with air. doesn't make logical or engineering sense.

So, time to do my investigation of a "serious safety problem". Brake boosters help make pedal easier to use, so generally a bad booster results in a "hard" pedal. There's no leaking of brake fluid anywhere (tires/wheels, brake lines, booster, master cylinder etc.) do not see any Hose issues, although I'll check any "ballooning" of the hoses.

just thought I'd put out the response from the dealer in case someone else has had a similar response.

I'll post my progress. (forgive my title no avatar etc.) I'll get around to it... :)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This is my 4th wrangler, 1st JLRU. Very familiar with vehicles. vehicle had 18,000 miles when I purchased it. I noticed the soft brake pedal when I first started driving it. here's the symptons:

soft pedal, seems to go close to the floor when pressed.
can pump brakes and pedal has less travel, however if I hold a continuous press, it goes to the floor. Brake pedal does not push back up if A/C or some electrical drain or vacuum ceases.

Car stops, but too long of a distance. ABS does not kick in with a normal brake press. ABS will kick in if emergency (hard) press.

Took it to dealer and explained the symptoms. they kept it all day. long story short - service manager stated they agreed with soft pedal but could not find any mechanical parts problem. They stated they spoke with Chrysler/FCA regional rep. He was told by rep that with the "new" (read - JL) wrangler, there is a "check valve" in the system that helps alleviate "Air" within the system. ???

My question - why would there be "air" in the system? Why a valve to help alleviate the "air" - sounds like a problem within the system. if there truly is a valve... then that implies there is a known issue with air. doesn't make logical or engineering sense.

So, time to do my investigation of a "serious safety problem". Brake boosters help make pedal easier to use, so generally a bad booster results in a "hard" pedal. There's no leaking of brake fluid anywhere (tires/wheels, brake lines, booster, master cylinder etc.) do not see any Hose issues, although I'll check any "ballooning" of the hoses.

just thought I'd put out the response from the dealer in case someone else has had a similar response.

I'll post my progress. (forgive my title no avatar etc.) I'll get around to it... :)
unless they removed the brake lines from the master cylinder and pressure tested it, they did not even attempt a diagnosis.

Jhayhurst

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport Snazzberry Pearl Manual
Occupation
Special Education teacher/Offensive Line Coach
Same issue here with 2021 JLU and only 5,000 miles. Taking it in Saturday and will report back.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
I finally got a tech to drive mine and agree something aint rite! Asked for their top level tech to be the one who does the final diagnosis. That was 3 weeks ago and I now have an appointment for 7 am 10/4.

Sponsored

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just scanned the thread, but the OP issue is probably from caliper piston knockback or a weak brake booster.

I used to do time trials with my 2015 mustang and the brakes would do that sometimes. Relatively common practice to give your brakes a slight nudge before diving into a hard braking zone to make sure the pistons are ready to go.

First time it happened I almost wet myself LOL

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Same issue here with 2021 JLU and only 5,000 miles. Taking it in Saturday and will report back.
I finally got a tech to drive mine and agree something aint rite! Asked for their top level tech to be the one who does the final diagnosis. That was 3 weeks ago and I now have an appointment for 7 am 10/4.
Please let us know how your appointments go! If either of you need assistance, our team is in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Jhayhurst

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys Sport Snazzberry Pearl Manual
Occupation
Special Education teacher/Offensive Line Coach
Please let us know how your appointments go! If either of you need assistance, our team is in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kate, but we were late getting out of the office and I had to cancel my appointment. I'll get scheduled again soon.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kate, but we were late getting out of the office and I had to cancel my appointment. I'll get scheduled again soon.
Thanks for the update. We're in private message when you get a new one set.

Kate
Jeep Cares

james@15

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JL Sahara
On my 2018 JLU Sahara, the brake pedal just recently became spongy/soft. I notice this driving on the highway in traffic. Its a bit scary when traffic comes to a halt in front of you and you expect your vehicle to stop quickly. I have not tried pumping twice, though maybe that is a good idea. Im taking it in to the dealer soon as I can. I have no mods at 26K. Doesn't seem like pads or rotors should be worn already, especially since most of 26K is highway. Also I am not doing a comparison between other vehicles. My jeep does not stop the way it did a month or two ago.
Sponsored