Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I have a 2018 JLUR, no lift w/35" tires, 9k miles. I'm experiencing a somewhat soft brake pedal unless I pump it a second time, then the brakes feel very firm and responsive, as they should. On the second pump, the pedal travel is much less than the first attempt when coming to a stop and the brakes feel very good. I've bled them, thinking there may be some air trapped somewhere, but didn't see any improvement afterwards.

Is this a common thing for the Rubicon Unlimited? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a fix. Thanks in advance for any info.
if you ever went through a driving school you would know well that it is not normal , how is the floor? are there any large holes?

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Thanks for sharing. I’ve honestly never even heard of that but appears to be a relatively common issue.
Kind of a bummer, but I didn't buy another FCA product thinking it was going to be Toyota-reliable. I'm just glad I'm still under warranty.

Bummer is that I was going to install my under-hood ARB compressor. But that's on hold until the MC is replaced. Don't want the tech to have to in an even tighter environment, nor do I want to risk the dealership giving me shit about mods and warranty.

overcrawler

First Name
Joshua
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Alcon is the way to go. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Super heavy, fully armored rig on 39's with a rooftop tent and it'll still put your face into the dash and lock up all four if you get on them.

It's the route I'm going once I am ready.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Kind of a bummer, but I didn't buy another FCA product thinking it was going to be Toyota-reliable. I'm just glad I'm still under warranty.

Bummer is that I was going to install my under-hood ARB compressor. But that's on hold until the MC is replaced. Don't want the tech to have to in an even tighter environment, nor do I want to risk the dealership giving me shit about mods and warranty.
UPDATE:
Had my Master Cylinder replaced by dealership, I definitely notice an improvement. I don't have to pump the brake to get it to bite, it's a nice even feel without that feeling of the pedal falling away to the floor as you seen objects in front of you nearing at a speed way faster then you were expecting.

Tech notes said there was a small leak and the fluid was very dark. Not sure WHY, it's only got 17k on it, but it seems to be better now.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement