Sponsored

Is it common to have to pump the brakes twice to get a solid pedal?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
This is a total guess, but I do remember something in the manual about two hydraulic systems and there being pedal softness if one wasn’t working.
Ok, I found it on page 502 of the current online version:

“Your vehicle is equipped with dual hydraulic brake sys- tems. If either of the two hydraulic systems loses normal capability, the remaining system will still function. How- ever, there will be some loss of overall braking effective- ness. You may notice increased pedal travel during appli- cation, greater pedal force required to slow or stop, and potential activation of the Brake Warning Light.”

If find odd the fact that Brake Warning Light would only potentially activate if one of the hydraulic systems malfunctioned.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ok, I found it on page 502 of the current online version:

“Your vehicle is equipped with dual hydraulic brake sys- tems. If either of the two hydraulic systems loses normal capability, the remaining system will still function. How- ever, there will be some loss of overall braking effective- ness. You may notice increased pedal travel during appli- cation, greater pedal force required to slow or stop, and potential activation of the Brake Warning Light.”

If find odd the fact that Brake Warning Light would only potentially activate if one of the hydraulic systems malfunctioned.
Thank you for finding that in the manual! I definitely have increased pedal travel and force required, but nothing with the brake warning light. Hopefully it is something like that causing the soft pedal and extra travel.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Are some of us forgetting about the electric vacuum pump? I have driven numerous JLs (yes and JL”U/R’s”) if we are talking about the pedal at start up or parking lots or creeping at a red light this is normal. HOWEVER if you’re talking about a travel distance of it seeming like it’s falling before the gas pedal and then having to pump it again, then no that’s NOT normal....

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I have a 2018 JLUR, no lift w/35" tires, 9k miles. I'm experiencing a somewhat soft brake pedal unless I pump it a second time, then the brakes feel very firm and responsive, as they should. On the second pump, the pedal travel is much less than the first attempt when coming to a stop and the brakes feel very good. I've bled them, thinking there may be some air trapped somewhere, but didn't see any improvement afterwards.

Is this a common thing for the Rubicon Unlimited? Just curious if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a fix. Thanks in advance for any info.
Nearly the same Jeep. Not normal. Dealership warranty repair trip should be in your future.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Thank you for finding that in the manual! I definitely have increased pedal travel and force required, but nothing with the brake warning light. Hopefully it is something like that causing the soft pedal and extra travel.
Yeah, according to the manual the light may not activate. Anyway I’m just guessing, but maybe a test of each hydraulic system would be informative.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
Could you be experiencing the feature called “advanced brake assist”?

OP
OP
Ribs33

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Could you be experiencing the feature called “advanced brake assist”?
I wondered about that as well, but after seeing several members replying that the spongy pedal and excessive travel isn't normal, I'm leaning towards having some other kind of issue. After I pump the brakes a second time, the pedal feels awesome and has plenty of stopping power. If I don't pump the pedal, I have about 50% more travel then when I pump them, and have to apply quite a bit of pressure to stop.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
You've got to love the service guys. Just because they are all bad, that makes them all normal. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
Funny, they said same words to me, hmm?
I have come to the conclusion that FCA techs rend to be dumber than a bag of rocks. The only way something will get fixed is if there is a code telling then exactly what to do.

Jackpunx

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Following. Same issues her . 2018 jlu rub . I took it in and got them to change the master cylinder.. nothing changed. I also (previous) bleed the brakes , changed the fluid etc. Now they feel like they have air again. They did offer to change the booster .. but I ran out of time and figured I better do some investing before I gave them my jeep back.
Any updates I'll share

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
If I pump my Jeep's brakes, it stops more aggressively however I have never felt like the brakes were lacking in stopping power and are light years better than previous model's brakes. Also, adding larger tires can have a very drastic effect on the braking of a Jeep, especially on the lower models with a single piston caliper. Something to remember is that with how a Jeep is designed, it will never be a sports car or even an econo-box so there will be very different characteristics to it than most other vehicles on the road. Brakes, steering, worn out bushings/parts having the potential of death wobble, cracks on the windshield because of it being so relatively upright and flat, etc... are all things that seem to be the most complained about features of a Jeep (and have been previously when people get so interested in each new model) but are inherent natures when a vehicle is designed in such an aggressive way and become more accentuated when lifted with bigger tires. However most of those can normally can be corrected. There will always be the "but I paid $50k for a new vehicle which shouldn't have this" crowd but these things aren't anything new and the "$50k" crowd should have done more research of whether this was an acceptable trade-off for the look they wanted.

Sponsored

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
My brakes have been really soft for a while. Had my friend drive it and he immediately said they need to be bleed. We did. Not sure it helped much. I never considered it to be a warranty problem since I have 38" tires. I figured the spongy feel is my fault for putting bigger tires on. So I broke down and bought the Teraflex Delta brake kit. It was not cheap. I've only taken it out once and sadly the brakes still feel spongy. I really hope I didn't just blow $2400......ughhhh

And now I'm worried if I take it in to dealer any work will be on me since brakes have been modified. Wrangler has 3500 miles on it. This my first FCA product. I've been die hard Ford my whole life. When I get in my F150 after driving Wrangler for a few days the wheels lock up completely. I have to relearn my braking skills completely. Night and day difference between the two!

PHOTO_20190810_093634.jpg

PHOTO_20190810_093704.jpg

PHOTO_20190810_080615.jpg

PHOTO_20190810_080634.jpg

PHOTO_20190810_073130.jpg

PHOTO_20190810_093557.jpg

Al13

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I have come to the conclusion that FCA techs rend to be dumber than a bag of rocks. The only way something will get fixed is if there is a code telling then exactly what to do.
They are not mechanics but parts replacers. Replace parts until if lucky the problem is fixed.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Same for me, mine felt noticeably soft and spongy compared to other vehicles I’ve driven, unless I pump it a few times, I literally have to stand on my brake pedal to stop in an emergency situation. I constantly overshoot during a quick red light transition from yellow, because I just couldn’t stop in time. Took it to the dealer for diagnose and they told me it’s normal. I however, have changed brake pad to Powerstop z36 since and it has helped me in terms of stopping distance though, but the pedal still feels mushy.

Last edited:

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I can tell you what a vacuum problem feels like. It's not soft. It's a back force that pushes the pedal back at you in a modulating manner.
I experienced this from a bad and undersized vacuum back flow valve when I installed my Brake Buddy Stealth supplemental braking system.
The booster also uses very large silicone hardener vacuum lines.
Other than that I've seen no problem