Sponsored

Is it better to Build and Price or buy off lot?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You will always get an equal or better deal buying off the lot than you would ordering. It's a myth that ordering will get you a better deal. Any of the dealers that sell well below invoice will do the same for a vehicle on the lot. They will sell it for even cheaper than their no haggle orders depending on the time of the month, how long the vehicle has been sitting and it's options(certain Jeeps are less attractive than others). If you order a vehicle they're not paying interest on it(which means they rather sell the vehicle they're paying interest on already sitting in their lot) and almost certainly you're not picking up on the 30/31st. Even if you were your sales price by that point is already agreed upon.

The same is true with the non-no haggle dealerships not mentioned on here. Almost all of them want to sell you a vehicle TODAY. Not 4 weeks from today. Buying off the lot is cheaper as long as you find your desired trim/options.
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The problem with financing through the dealer is they will hose you on the rate, that’s why they get a kickback from the financing company. Always obtain financing outside of the dealer and let them try to beat that rate. So many people are on this forum claiming they are getting smoking deals with ridiculous amount under even employee price and they usually are not even close. They get hosed on huge doc fees and financing rates two or three points higher than they would receive on the open market. At the end of the day, if you can get a price under invoice and a $99 doc fee with a finance rate under 3% @60 months you are doing great.
Ultimately you need to negotiate the best deal that you get from each dealer and compare them. This may include using a dealers financing, documents fees, etc. You can figure out how the interest adds to the cost. We don't have $99 document fees in my local area, so I am already looking at ~$500 .

Personally, I know what I can get for financing before hand so I am not at the mercy of the dealer finance department plan. I am good with numbers and I create excel spreadsheets to do this one figure out the total cost and monthly payment (I also have a great memory)

Last edited:

KingBlotto

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon, Audi Q7, Chapparal 227ssx
The dealer I’m buying from is in your backyard. They’ve been incredibly professional and prompt. They told me point blank I’ll save more building. Be sure to sign up for tread lightly.

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
The dealer I’m buying from is in your backyard. They’ve been incredibly professional and prompt. They told me point blank I’ll save more building. Be sure to sign up for tread lightly.
Which one is that?

Sponsored

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Buying off the lot will get a better deal, however, getting one being delivered is a better route... you get the benefit of getting a car on their lot which they have $0 into and never spent a day on their lot... that’s what I did. I got ~22% off MSRP and since I was patient and willing to drive a couple hours got an awesome deal. I did walk away from a few deals though. And... the dealer knows someone buying a Rubicon must have a Rubicon... a Sport S buyer may buy something else so rebates and incentives are better.

To your question about Rubicon or build, I decided to build, but that was also why I decided to get a Jeep as I wanted something to keep me busy. To get the Rubicon look - $1200 mopar lift (eBay OEM from Jeep, install yourself), $800 for Rubicon takeoff wheels, $1250 for tires, and $500 for a bumper. For me... $34k and I had the look - yep, $10k less than a Rubicon. I don’t have the axles, don’t have a few other things, but I’m perfectly happy. Now, I spent more on other stuff that I wanted, but this really wouldn’t have been on a Rubicon anyway. I stuck with 34” tires so didn’t have to do massive axle changes or gear changes. Plus, if you were really big into off roading - you would be changing all the Rubicon suspension anyway, just like LiteBrite/NorthRidge 4x4 and their Gladiator builds. And... I love the projects!

Just my opinion though.

jseneca64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2017 GMC Acadia All-Terrain, 2018 Honda Accord
I ordered my Rubicon from Koons in Vienna, VA. Best deal I could find within a reasonable drive from South Jersey. Beat every other deal by $2400.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
People saying you can't a deal below invoice because of x, y, or z are likely just upset because they got burned by a sales person and don't want to admit it.

I walked into the closest dealer to my house outside Chicago. Ordered a JLURD for 3% under invoice, no trade, no additional purchases, cash on delivery. TTL and doc at state mandated levels.

Another 3-5% wasn't worth flying to Koons and driving back to IL. My time was too valuable.

There is value to the dealer selling a vehicle the day it's delivered because they don't burn any of that holdback on finance payments. This reduces their working capital employed.
Sponsored