Sponsored

Is it better to Build and Price or buy off lot?

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
So I have been doing A LOT of searching on for my first Wrangler, mainly because I have time because I don't need one (just a strong want) so I have been searching around for deals, the forums, etc

Well, turns out, I want a Rubicon... even though I said I would NEVER get it because I will never go extreme off roading or anything like that

BUT, I want the Rubicon looks (wheels, tires, hood, suspension, etc) everything and after reading the forums here, everyone suggests just buying the Rubicon cause it is going to cost more doing it on your own.

So, it will be tough for me to get a huge down payment up front but worth it in the long run

So with that said, do you generally get a better deal/price with Building and Pricing or buying off the lot?

I have only ever bought off the lot before and know how the discounts work, etc but how does the build and price work? If I go to the online tool and build a Rubicon for 45k, does that mean I absolutely have top pay that or can I still get 7-8% off Invoice with my dealer of choosing?

Sorry for long post!

I appreciate all the help
Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
You will be able to get 6-8% below invoice from one of the few handful of recommended dealers on this forum, no questions asked. That will be on a new order and you will have to wait 6-12+ weeks for delivery.

Buying of the lot you will most likely pay somewhere between invoice and MSRP, depending on your local market and what games your dealer is willing to play. Good luck with your purchase.

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
You will be able to get 6-8% below invoice from one of the few handful of recommended dealers on this forum, no questions asked. That will be on a new order and you will have to wait 6-12+ weeks for delivery.

Buying of the lot you will most likely pay somewhere between invoice and MSRP, depending on your local market and what games your dealer is willing to play. Good luck with your purchase.
Thank you! So 6-8% off invoice is roughly 11-13% off MSRP, is that a good judgement?

Also, do you build it before talking to the dealer or do you build it at the dealer, etc

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Thank you! So 6-8% off invoice is roughly 11-13% off MSRP, is that a good judgement?

Also, do you build it before talking to the dealer or do you build it at the dealer, etc
build it and send the copy to the dealership. Definitely way to go. Worth the wait. I am paying the same price for a 2021 Rubicon ordered as dealerships want for sports on their lots.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase

Keep in mind this is a handful of dealers that I believe are on this forum. Many fly out then drive their new Jeep home.

They'd probably laugh at me if I printed that off and brought it into a Colorado dealer.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
After almost two years of reading this forum I ordered a fully loaded Rubicon from Koons at 8% under invoice. Best way to go is factory order from Koons as they are the only dealer left that doesn’t penalize you for using your own financing. Craig there is great to work with.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I got a great deal buying off the lot, but there were a number of factors that affected that.

Perhaps biggest among was that I wasn't very picky about options, in fact I didn't even intend to get a Rubicon but wound up with one. I was looking for a Willys or Sport S w/ LSD. I bought a 2019 that had been on the lot for almost a year, from a smaller dealership, in mid-April 2020(beginning of CoVID right before the plant shut down) when sales and economy were at a very questionable state. FCA was also offering employee-pricing so that helped.

Because of that, not only did I get a good deal, I wound up with a number of options that are nice to have but I wouldn't have bothered ordering. If you're flexible with what you want, I'd say look around and see what the dealers are willing to do on something on the lot. If you can't find anything, you can always order.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
Don’t worry about % off for comparison purposes. The only thing that matters is the “out the door” price. Having a dealer give you a high percentage off and then tack on a $899 doc fee is just a shell game.

Ask them what you will pay cash, out the door with all fees and BS. That way you are comparing apples to apples.

$500+/- of invoice is attainable without shell games by any dealer without travel.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I purchased a 2020 Rubicon in Nov 2019 (different market than today) off the lot in Houston (where I lived at the time) for 5.xx% off invoice.... roughly 10% off MSRP. I also got a fair price for my trade, paid cash, and paid a $250-ish doc fee,

i like to buy off the lot. Others don’t. Either approach is correct.

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
I got a great deal buying off the lot, but there were a number of factors that affected that.

Perhaps biggest among was that I wasn't very picky about options, in fact I didn't even intend to get a Rubicon but wound up with one. I was looking for a Willys or Sport S w/ LSD. I bought a 2019 that had been on the lot for almost a year, from a smaller dealership, in mid-April 2020(beginning of CoVID right before the plant shut down) when sales and economy were at a very questionable state. FCA was also offering employee-pricing so that helped.

Because of that, not only did I get a good deal, I wound up with a number of options that are nice to have but I wouldn't have bothered ordering. If you're flexible with what you want, I'd say look around and see what the dealers are willing to do on something on the lot. If you can't find anything, you can always order.
Thanks for the help from everyone!

For this, I am flexible. In fact, I am okay with just getting the color I want and heated seats and installing everything I want afterwards (I have never wanted to do this before).

I feel like I get a better DEAL with just a sport with what I want and then upgrading tires, wheels, hood, etc after

But everyone here says dont do that lol

Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
I've been going back and forth with the Sport/Rubicon dilemma, although on a Gladiator. I could live with the Rubicon as is. Maybe go with 35's after the 33's wear out. If I got a Sport, I'd want to lift it and put on at least 33's or 35's. I think it looks out of proportion with the stock wheels/tires. Adding those items would probably get me within a couple of grand of the Rubicon. So to me, I think biting the bullet for the Rubicon is worth it.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Don’t worry about % off for comparison purposes. The only thing that matters is the “out the door” price. Having a dealer give you a high percentage off and then tack on a $899 doc fee is just a shell game.

Ask them what you will pay cash, out the door with all fees and BS. That way you are comparing apples to apples.
I would not tell the dealer to give you cash price just to get a apple to apples comparison. Dealers usually make money of financing, so a cash price can be the worst deal, especially if you have no intention of paying cash.

Ultimately the total price is what someone should be calculating and comparing. I don't know how well versed the out of state dealers are with every state's fees and taxes, so one may want to there research in advance.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
I would not tell the dealer to give you cash price just to get a apple to apples comparison. Dealers usually make money of financing, so a cash price can be the worst deal, especially if you have no intention of paying cash.

Ultimately the total price is what someone should be calculating and comparing. I don't know how well versed the out of state dealers are with every state's fees and taxes, so one may want to there research in advance.
The problem with financing through the dealer is they will hose you on the rate, that’s why they get a kickback from the financing company. Always obtain financing outside of the dealer and let them try to beat that rate. So many people are on this forum claiming they are getting smoking deals with ridiculous amount under even employee price and they usually are not even close. They get hosed on huge doc fees and financing rates two or three points higher than they would receive on the open market. At the end of the day, if you can get a price under invoice and a $99 doc fee with a finance rate under 3% @60 months you are doing great.

WhiskeyChick24

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
So I have been doing A LOT of searching on for my first Wrangler, mainly because I have time because I don't need one (just a strong want) so I have been searching around for deals, the forums, etc

Well, turns out, I want a Rubicon... even though I said I would NEVER get it because I will never go extreme off roading or anything like that

BUT, I want the Rubicon looks (wheels, tires, hood, suspension, etc) everything and after reading the forums here, everyone suggests just buying the Rubicon cause it is going to cost more doing it on your own.

So, it will be tough for me to get a huge down payment up front but worth it in the long run

So with that said, do you generally get a better deal/price with Building and Pricing or buying off the lot?

I have only ever bought off the lot before and know how the discounts work, etc but how does the build and price work? If I go to the online tool and build a Rubicon for 45k, does that mean I absolutely have top pay that or can I still get 7-8% off Invoice with my dealer of choosing?

Sorry for long post!

I appreciate all the help
Have you considered the Willys trim? The looks of the Rubicon without the heavy duty off road stuff you don’t necessarily need. I just ordered my very first Wrangler (the 2021 Willys) last week. Delivery is 12-14 weeks or so, but like you - mine is all want. Not AT ALL a need. So I don’t mind the wait. I also used a third party negotiator who got me $1K off MSRP and free delivery to Pittsburgh from the dealer in OH. The only thing I added was the Tech package for the larger screen, and the 3-piece hard too. I chose the Willys over the Willys Sport because I wanted the power windows and doors. Oh...and I went manual to save a few bucks that way. Check out the Willys if you haven’t already. May be able to save yourself quite a few grand. :like:

OP
OP
Yolobaggins

Yolobaggins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav4
Have you considered the Willys trim? The looks of the Rubicon without the heavy duty off road stuff you don’t necessarily need. I just ordered my very first Wrangler (the 2021 Willys) last week. Delivery is 12-14 weeks or so, but like you - mine is all want. Not AT ALL a need. So I don’t mind the wait. I also used a third party negotiator who got me $1K off MSRP and free delivery to Pittsburgh from the dealer in OH. The only thing I added was the Tech package for the larger screen, and the 3-piece hard too. I chose the Willys over the Willys Sport because I wanted the power windows and doors. Oh...and I went manual to save a few bucks that way. Check out the Willys if you haven’t already. May be able to save yourself quite a few grand. :like:
Thanks for your response!

I have looked at the Willys, I do like the look but from what I read from a lot of people, its just meh? Not really good for daily driving? I could be wrong

Plus, how easy is it to sell tires and buy new ones immediately after buying a car? I would want to sell the M/T Tires for KO2s
Sponsored