sandy.h

sandy.h

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
Will this solve your issues? Maybe. Regardless, it's a necessary first step. I'm shocked of no reports at your end of the dealer not testing the batteries.

I replaced the aux battery two days ago. However, twice today I got into my jeep and tried to start it and engine doesn’t turn on. (Twice out of the seven times I’ve started my jeep today) Electronics turn on though, and it goes into “run” and stays stuck in run. Won’t let me shut the jeep off completely. Messages on the dash are:

“Service Electronic Stability Control”
and
“Service transmission. Continue in D. Do not shift or turn engine off until you have reached desired location. You may not be able to shift again until serviced.”

If I wait about five minutes without touching anything, the messages disappear and it shows the speed. I press the stop/start button and engine turns on. These are problems that have happened before but it could happen once then won’t happen again for months. I’m wondering if I could have messed up when installing the new aux battery (I did it myself and it was quite difficult). I thought it might be a blown N3 fuse but I’m assuming if that was the case, the engine won’t turn over at all.

One more thing I forgot to note though! After I replaced the aux battery, the jeep would turn on, engine on, dash and display would turn on. Then all of a sudden dash and display turn off, but jeep is still on and running. When I replaced the aux battery I took the PDC apart, I thought maybe some fuses got messed up, they were all good. I then proceeded to tighten the four bolts holding the PDC together. Tried starting it again and it worked fine. Took it for a ride, no problems. Now two days later, we got problems!
Sponsored

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Check your battery terminals and grounds. Also, you should replace both batteries together. One bad one can kill the other. Have the main battery load tested, replace if bad. Also check and/or replace your fob battery.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Check your battery terminals and grounds. Also, you should replace both batteries together. One bad one can kill the other. Have the main battery load tested, replace if bad. Also check and/or replace your fob battery.
Replacing or not replacing the fob battery will not change anything related to the OP's problem. But it's a good idea to do it annually.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I replaced the aux battery two days ago. However, twice today I got into my jeep and tried to start it and engine doesn’t turn on. (Twice out of the seven times I’ve started my jeep today) Electronics turn on though, and it goes into “run” and stays stuck in run. Won’t let me shut the jeep off completely. Messages on the dash are:

“Service Electronic Stability Control”
and
“Service transmission. Continue in D. Do not shift or turn engine off until you have reached desired location. You may not be able to shift again until serviced.”

If I wait about five minutes without touching anything, the messages disappear and it shows the speed. I press the stop/start button and engine turns on. These are problems that have happened before but it could happen once then won’t happen again for months. I’m wondering if I could have messed up when installing the new aux battery (I did it myself and it was quite difficult). I thought it might be a blown N3 fuse but I’m assuming if that was the case, the engine won’t turn over at all.

One more thing I forgot to note though! After I replaced the aux battery, the jeep would turn on, engine on, dash and display would turn on. Then all of a sudden dash and display turn off, but jeep is still on and running. When I replaced the aux battery I took the PDC apart, I thought maybe some fuses got messed up, they were all good. I then proceeded to tighten the four bolts holding the PDC together. Tried starting it again and it worked fine. Took it for a ride, no problems. Now two days later, we got problems!

Hi Again Sandy:

I'd like to make a suggestion.

The next time you take the 2018 in for service at the dealer find out from them if TSB 18-092-19 has been downloaded to the vehicle. Some 2018's have this, the older 2018's sometimes don't. All 2019's and later do.

In addition to other functionality, TSB 18-092-19 allows a JL to crank if its ESS/Aux battery is dead but its main battery has current. In such a case the first crank attempt will fail, but subsequent ones will succeed provided the main battery has ample power.

If successful, the ESS off light will come on in the dash, and all subsequent cranks will work on the first try only against the main battery (provided it has ample current).

This behavior will revert back to the factory cranking method after the first crank that an energized ESS/Aux battery is reintroduced, if at all .

If you don't have TSB 18-092-19 a dead ESS/Aux battery can strand you.
Sponsored