Sponsored

Is idling or cooling off before turbo engine shut off still necessary?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I did not know this I will check it out
I forgot to add that the cool down mode enabled by the Tazer is specifically meant for being used off road if or when engine temps start peaking after some heavy working. When I made my opinion about it not being necessary, I should've specified during normal daily driving. Unless you just got done trying to keep up with a buddy that just did a hemi swap, or something of the like.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
'02 TT 225 Roadster
'07 A4 Quattro
'16 Ecoboost Mustang
'17 Benz C300
'15 RR Sport 5.0 Supercharged
'15 RR Diesel

No one in the family, or I, ever needed to let it sit and chill, so think your Jeep's fine.

Remember, the 80's are over, unless you're Jack Howitzer

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Does anyone know if there's a product for turbo timer?

I live up the mountain so im assuming the engine is working hard, and don't want to have to wait 3 minutes everytime I come home.

I have the turbo diesel (2021).

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The 80s and 90s are over, there's no need for that anymore
Yes. Yet those legacy things keep coming back. I remember back in the day when I forst started working on turbo cars (i.e. 1976 930 Turbo). Yes, turbos failed. As we seen more (worked on Porsche and Audi) there were more failures. Then, over time, they started to go down. Seems that technology has progressed and items have got better. Who knew that would happen.

Also, I never hear about the coffee grounds found in the turbo drain line or oil pan. I'm guessing nobody knows what I'm talking about because they never worked on those early turbo cars and how they became known as not reliable, always break and need super special attention.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Yes. Yet those legacy things keep coming back. I remember back in the day when I forst started working on turbo cars (i.e. 1976 930 Turbo). Yes, turbos failed. As we seen more (worked on Porsche and Audi) there were more failures. Then, over time, they started to go down. Seems that technology has progressed and items have got better. Who knew that would happen.

Also, I never hear about the coffee grounds found in the turbo drain line or oil pan. I'm guessing nobody knows what I'm talking about because they never worked on those early turbo cars and how they became known as not reliable, always break and need super special attention.
How far we’ve come. Also used to be more unique and special too

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
The 80s and 90s are over, there's no need for that anymore
I started this thread for the 2.0L before EcoDiesel was introduced for the JL Wrangler. But the owners manual for the EcoDiesel explicitly states idle time for various situations. EcoDiesel's turbo technology apparently has gone back to the future.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I started this thread for the 2.0L before EcoDiesel was introduced for the JL Wrangler. But the owners manual for the EcoDiesel explicitly states idle time for various situations. EcoDiesel's turbo technology apparently has gone back to the future.
I would assume the largest difference between the two is the type of oil.

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
Definitely still a thing for us diesel folks, but for me it is less about time and more about temperature. I use a scan gauge 3 and basically wait until the Turbo is around 430ish degrees or less before shutting it down, which doesn't take long at all to cool off.

Sponsored

NWJeepr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR
Cooldown listed in the owner's manual provided with the 2.0 turbo and does not say cooldown is exclusive to the diesel only, so I will assume that applies to the turbo gas motor as well.

While newer turbos do have a coolant pump that runs while the engine is off, I'm not aware that they also have an oil pump to continue lubricating as the turbo spins down or to even cool hot oil left in the turbo. IMO, you can't do harm by letting the engine idle for a minute or two after being pushed, but it may be beneficial and appears to be recommended.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Definitely still a thing for us diesel folks, but for me it is less about time and more about temperature. I use a scan gauge 3 and basically wait until the Turbo is around 430ish degrees or less before shutting it down, which doesn't take long at all to cool off.
I hope Jeep learns from the Europeans. They fire up diesels and drive off. They also just shut them down right away. Maybe not 100% but I'd say 99% of them do. So I wonder what special things they do which allow that? Then there's the ESS. So diesels shut down at a stop light and if the temp is too high, they have some sort of thing that keeps those turbos from grenading themselves.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
The biggest thing to note with the 2.0T is the electric coolant pumps, if it detects high temps after shut down, the coolant will continue to circulate and cool the turbo. Not perfect, but most owners do nothing but gas, go, and maybe an oil change.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
My last car from a decade ago was turbocharged and the manual said to let it warm up until there was one bar on the oil temp (usually just a few minutes, which coincided with the RPM settling down to idle) and that it should cool down for at least a minute after parking. Did that religiously and everything was still running great even after a decade of daily driving and 100k miles.

Might be unnecessary with some vehicles, but I've been keeping the same general habit even with my naturally aspirated v6. Let it settle to idle which only takes about a minute or less and then let it cool down for another minute.

An extra few minutes a day is a very small price to pay if it helps at all with the engine's longevity. Everyone else I know just starts theirs up and immediately drives off, so maybe that works too 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored