Sponsored

Is idling or cooling off before turbo engine shut off still necessary?

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Definitely still a thing for us diesel folks, but for me it is less about time and more about temperature. I use a scan gauge 3 and basically wait until the Turbo is around 430ish degrees or less before shutting it down, which doesn't take long at all to cool off.
Scangauge 2 is what I used when I had EcoDiesel. Scangauge 3 must have come later. 400-425 was my cut off too. By the time I pulled into my garage, it would take no more than 20 seconds to get into the range. TRB and STM were my two must have XGauges in SG2.
Sponsored

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The biggest thing to note with the 2.0T is the electric coolant pumps, if it detects high temps after shut down, the coolant will continue to circulate and cool the turbo. Not perfect, but most owners do nothing but gas, go, and maybe an oil change.
In 1984 Audi put on those after run pump on the 5000 Turbo. They would run and even the radiator fan would cycle. Many complained of the constant noise. They literally would run for like 10 minutes. Thus on cars with older batteries, they would kill it.

Since then, the Germans love those after run pumps. They use them on many non turbo cars too. Also, in this day of age and the amount of turbo 4's out there used in things like SUV's or appliance cars, those people never cool down or even warm up. Let alone get regular oil changes or get the Blackstones or even care what goes in it. Yet they will rust out before they blow a turbo. According to the intranets, we need to really watch it with these turbo 4's. Old habits are hard to overcome.