Sponsored

Is idling or cooling off before turbo engine shut off still necessary?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
In the 80s or even 90s, it was recommended that after driving at highway speeds or driving under load, not to shut off the engine quickly too but to dive the last 2 miles or so like grandma, and/or idle for 30 - 60 seconds to prevent oil coking.
Does this sound advice still hold true for a 2020 2.0L (no etorque) or does not apply for modern stock turbo engines?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
There is nothing in the manual to take such a precaution. Not that I read the manual cover to cover but I did search the pdf document with various search words, and found no instructions regarding this.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've yet to research the details of our turbos, but they do have their own liquid cooling circuit. I would imagine, and hope, that circuit prioritizes the bearing on the impellar shaft, rather than relying on just the cooling capacity of engine oil. Also, if you're running full synthetic than coking shouldn't be an issue. If I had just got off the road and was high revving the engine and driving very sporty, I'd still want to idle it down for the peace of mind. I personally don't drive my Jeep like that, but I have the habit of not killing it until after i unbelt, raise windows, radio volume down, grab my phone and open the door.

My previous vehicle was a 2016 nissan juke with a turbocharged 1.6L I4. I ran full synthetic, but it relied on engine oil cooling only and I let it idle for a minute or so. As above, peace of mind and killing it was the last thing before walking away.

To sum it up, I don't think its necessary to idle down our specific turbos, but peace of mind is well worth a minute.

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You basically answered your own question in your following posts. There's absolutely no reason to be concerned about idling down or "oil cooking" in a modern turbocharged engine, no matter how hard you drive it. You'd just be wasting gas.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I've yet to research the details of our turbos, but they do have their own liquid cooling circuit. I would imagine, and hope, that circuit prioritizes the bearing on the impellar shaft, rather than relying on just the cooling capacity of engine oil. Also, if you're running full synthetic than coking shouldn't be an issue. If I had just got off the road and was high revving the engine and driving very sporty, I'd still want to idle it down for the peace of mind. I personally don't drive my Jeep like that, but I have the habit of not killing it until after i unbelt, raise windows, radio volume down, grab my phone and open the door.

My previous vehicle was a 2016 nissan juke with a turbocharged 1.6L I4. I ran full synthetic, but it relied on engine oil cooling only and I let it idle for a minute or so. As above, peace of mind and killing it was the last thing before walking away.

To sum it up, I don't think its necessary to idle down our specific turbos, but peace of mind is well worth a minute.
Ha - before my Jeeps, I also had a Nissan Juke 2015 (Nismo RS manual shift) till 2017. It was a fun and perky car. Too bad they discontinued from 2018. :)

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
Well I can corner the market in turbo timers for the Jeeps :like:

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I thought most modern turbos continue to circulate oil after shutoff. At least that's the way our MINIs and GTI work.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ha - before my Jeeps, I also had a Nissan Juke 2015 (Nismo RS manual shift) till 2017. It was a fun and perky car. Too bad they discontinued from 2018. :)
Definitely a playful car and was a tank in the snow with the right tires. Have you seen the limited edition jukes with the gtr drivetrain? Wow!

They never pushed them in the US market and there seemed to be more people that disliked their unique look. Now they've been replaced with the Kick. New boring front end and the whole vehicle is watered down. Nissan did retain the juke drive train for some other models. The RS trim.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well I can corner the market in turbo timers for the Jeeps :like:
The tazer has an option that enables a cool down mode, but keeps the engine running on either a timer or until it reaches a target temp.

Between the cooling circuit and the recommended full synthetic, I'm not sure if idling down is even needed anymore.

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
The turbo is liquid-cooled, and an electric circulating pump runs after the engine is shut off to lower the temp (this pump can be heard if parked in a quiet garage). This isn’t the 20th century anymore, no need to idle for five minutes before shutting off the turbo engine.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
In the 80s or even 90s, it was recommended that after driving at highway speeds or driving under load, not to shut off the engine quickly too but to dive the last 2 miles or so like grandma, and/or idle for 30 - 60 seconds to prevent oil coking.
Does this sound advice still hold true for a 2020 2.0L (no etorque) or does not apply for modern stock turbo engines?
The 80s and 90s are over, there's no need for that anymore

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
The tazer has an option that enables a cool down mode, but keeps the engine running on either a timer or until it reaches a target temp.

Between the cooling circuit and the recommended full synthetic, I'm not sure if idling down is even needed anymore.
Yeah i was just being sarcastic

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase

I did not know this I will check it out
Sponsored