Sponsored

Is hood flutter a thing?

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
I just happened upon someone commenting about hood flutter after altering the side vents. I was going to install the new Morimoto side lights where the vent are, but now I'm not so sure I should. No sense in creating a problem.

What say you?
I say stick some tape over the fender vents, and see what happens?

I just quoted a dude and asked him a question in this link https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/under-hood-heat.78513/page-9#post-2288783 , who claims to have run his Jeep in a wind tunnel of sorts with fog, and he noted certain observations, of where the fog was exiting from...take a gander.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
Your latches are not adjusted properly. No hood flutter in my 2020 Rubicon at 80mph…in wind. My 2015 JK was terrible…though daystar latches helped some.
Hmm…maybe worth a call to the trustworthy dealership then.
I had a 2021 4xE Rubi while I waited on my V6 that did the same thing but never as bad as the new V6 already is.

Then again…how would do a diy adjustment?

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My hood has fluttered from day one. Passing a semi at 85-ish on the interstate does it. Meeting a semi going the opposite direction at 65-ish does it.

Took it the dealership and they claimed that there was nothing that they could do about it.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
My hood has fluttered from day one. Passing a semi at 85-ish on the interstate does it. Meeting a semi going the opposite direction at 65-ish does it.

Took it the dealership and they claimed that there was nothing that they could do about it.
Of all people here I fully trust that you may be experiencing this issue but I just don’t see how? There’s literally nothing to allow up and down fluttering I could ever see. There’s no give of any sort in the latches. Surely something else is going wrong. ???…

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I don't see any way that they can. Vent lamps
Usually not a fan of decals and other random doo-dads in that location, but that actually looks really good!

And I agree with @Jeep Dude , block off your vents before you bother installing anything and see if it makes any difference.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Of all people here I fully trust that you may be experiencing this issue but I just don’t see how? There’s literally nothing to allow up and down fluttering I could ever see. There’s no give of any sort in the latches. Surely something else is going wrong. ???…
Hell if I know how it's happening. It is, however, really disturbing when it does.

I plan on taking it to a different dealer to have a few things resolved. Hopefully I'll have better luck with them.

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
Hell if I know how it's happening. It is, however, really disturbing when it does.

I plan on taking it to a different dealer to have a few things resolved. Hopefully I'll have better luck with them.
The local Jeep shop near me (NOT a dealership) says it the heat causing the plastic in the latches to stretch. Correct? Dunno…but I will say my Jeeo has already done a lot of 45min to 2hr highway trips… so I guess it’s a possibility…

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link

I'm guessing it has to be an adjustment in the latches. For me, my daily commute is part highway at 70-75mph and the hood is solid as a rock. I did, however have to adjust the position of my tailgate latch point because it wasn't in the right position (too far inward making the gate hard to latch without slamming it). A quarter-inch adjustment and it latches perfectly. Hope your issue is that easy to fix.

Jeep Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
duuuude
When I first read the title to this thread, I thought people were talking about cowl shake, and I was like WTF are these people talking about lol.

Now for my 2 cents (with inflation adjusted, make it $2 bucks plz)

The JL hood is SOLID, as in Mercedes circa 1970 solid.

It latches down solid too, so anybody on here with a hood that is fluttering, this is IMHO, a serious defect, that should be rectified ASAP.

The hood fluttering on ANY modern day car should not be normal!

Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Zero hood flutter in crazy winds up and down the 395 in Cali.
I looked for it and nada.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Maybe mixing up some flexing with fluttering

Either way, that's not right... Yeah, I'd want that fixed too.
Sponsored