Sponsored

Is having rear defroster coming off a regular occurance with Wranlgers?

resolute123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranlger JL Sport S
Hello,

I'm relatively new to owning Wranglers and I have a Sport S Unlimited 2018 JL. I've had my rear defroster tab come off the 3rd time. 1st time the dealership said they had to replace entire window but it was under warranty. Second time they were able to fix it. Third time the dealership say they cannot fix it and must replace the entire window again. That's over S1000 for the replacement!

No rough terrain use, only repeated opening and closing daily because I keep my dog in the back of my Jeep.

Is this a common occurance with Wranglers and one of the quirks you have to accept?
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Jeep Wrangler JL Is having rear defroster coming off a regular occurance with Wranlgers? 1603577251829

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
I found the above in another thread.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
do you take your hard top off, and if so where do you store it? I've heard storage issues can cause issues with the defroster.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Mine came off, many months ago, and was repaired. But came loose before I left the dealership. I will let them try again, then demand a new window.

OP
OP

resolute123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wranlger JL Sport S
do you take your hard top off, and if so where do you store it? I've heard storage issues can cause issues with the defroster.
Never took off my top. Thanks for your response.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Happened on my JK. I fixed it with a soldering iron and heat gun. They also make a super glue product for these. If it is under warranty, I suggest take it to the dealer

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think the real problem is that the connector doesn’t make good contact causi the connection to overheat and melting the solder.
I repaired mine with the permatex kit and it held for a little over a year. This time I used the frost fighter silver epoxy (looks like Arctic Silver heat sinc epoxy) and added 3 layers of Un coated aluminum foil to tighten up the connection. The connector still got warm but not hot...that was 2 months ago and I have not used it since.

I think that they have been trying to solve the wrong problem.

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I think the real problem is that the connector doesn’t make good contact causi the connection to overheat and melting the solder.
I repaired mine with the permatex kit and it held for a little over a year. This time I used the frost fighter silver epoxy (looks like Arctic Silver heat sinc epoxy) and added 3 layers of Un coated aluminum foil to tighten up the connection. The connector still got warm but not hot...that was 2 months ago and I have not used it since.

I think that they have been trying to solve the wrong problem.
i noticed mine today, going to the dealer on Monday.

FE7E8912-7148-401D-B3E1-E4B9796B2BBE.jpeg
Sponsored