Sponsored

Is fueling the Wrangler.. supposed to be really weird?

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Mine has a few issues. My dealer says it's normal.
Jeep Wrangler JL Is fueling the Wrangler.. supposed to be really weird? burning clothes
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
No issues with loose filler neck, or any problem being able to put the nozzle in completely. But, every once and a while I have run into sensitive pumps, that have to fill at half speed, or it shuts off.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I typically use the same station, and like stovetop burners and coffee cups, I have a favorite pump, tho I've used them all because my station is always full up because they are always .10/gallon cheaper than the other stations along that road.

I've found both my JLs to be a bit finicky on fillups. The primary thing I've noticed is overruns when trying to top them off. A practice I don't really do anymore.

I was burned once when my Hella was brand new, the pump shut off and as I drove away I only had 3/4 tank, thus the urge to top it off. On my Hydro, I pretty much now know how much it's gonna take based on where the guage is.

On the filler neck, by loose, is this what you speak of? Kinda freaked me out at first, hang the nozzle and it droops down a bit.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
People shit on Jersey all the time but here we just say fill- er up and give the guy my card/cash.
Great in rain/snow/pajamas. 🗽

Sponsored

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
I typically use the same station, and like stovetop burners and coffee cups, I have a favorite pump, tho I've used them all because my station is always full up because they are always .10/gallon cheaper than the other stations along that road.

I've found both my JLs to be a bit finicky on fillups. The primary thing I've noticed is overruns when trying to top them off. A practice I don't really do anymore.

I was burned once when my Hella was brand new, the pump shut off and as I drove away I only had 3/4 tank, thus the urge to top it off. On my Hydro, I pretty much now know how much it's gonna take based on where the guage is.

On the filler neck, by loose, is this what you speak of? Kinda freaked me out at first, hang the nozzle and it droops down a bit.

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. When I let my hand off the nozzle it drooped down noticeably, as opposed to being completely stationary in every other vehicle ever.

I did flop it around today by hand to test it and it seems pretty similar. My whole "fuel bezel" for lack of a better term moves around a bit. The circle that would be around the fuel door if it existed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Even more of a problem when you squeeze in so to speak that extra gas is...... that you risk, thanks to excessive gas input, that the extra gas flows into/saturates the Evaporative Control Canister Filter/a charcoal filter.

Saturating that Evaporative Control Canister Filter is not a positive thing and should be avoided.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Even more of a problem when you squeeze in so to speak that extra gas is...... that you risk, thanks to excessive gas input, that the extra gas flows into/saturates the Evaporative Control Canister Filter/a charcoal filter.

Saturating that Evaporative Control Canister Filter is not a positive thing and should be avoided.
Yes, I recently learned that as well. 🙂

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
The intake tube has a little play, but shouldn’t feel loose.

Per the jumpy gas pump, that has more to do with the pump nozzle. It’s happened to me on certain gas stations with various vehicles.

Congrats on the new Jeep!

As Aldo said, the filler tube has some play, not as rigid as other vehicles I have owned.

I've had issues with nozzles shutting off when the pump was inserted too far, tends to be more of a problem in colder weather for me (South Florida, so colder being under 60 degrees F), but it does seem to be dependent on the pump more so, or the station in general.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
I’ve had this occur at only one gas station and it does it everytime. At all other gas stations it is perfectly fine

Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
I have a 2022 Sahara and I have not had any issues with fueling my Jeep. It seems like every vehicle I have ever owned. Maybe I just out of habit, I do it the "right" way. Never noticed anything feeling loose or anything. After starting I just stand there with the fueling handle locked until it gets almost full. That doesn't sound normal to me. If you know anybody else with a newer Jeep go to the gas station with them and try pumping their gas. Or if you see another Jeeper pull up at a gas station say excuse me and explain your question and see if they will let you pump their gas...

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
This is pretty much my experience as well, although never had any back flow or gas spill.
Will admit, from my experience with gas lines in the 70s (showing my age:)), I still have the bad habit of trying to get that extra gallon or so in the tank (yes I know the issues doing that). If you don't try to still fuel after the nozzle kicks off (or at worst round it up to the nearest dollar) I've never had a gas spill.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Mine has felt like it's stuck in a couple of times and took some effort to pull out (there's some low hanging fruit), but other than that, it's felt no different than any other car (I've had only cars) I've ever had.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Lol, I have the same issue with an old Italian car, takes 20 minutes to fill a 26 gallon tank….excruciating as people love to come over and ask questions while I’m all hunched over.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Lol, I have the same issue with an old Italian car, takes 20 minutes to fill a 26 gallon tank.

...excruciating as people love to come over and ask questions while I’m all hunched over.
The same thing sometimes occurs when I'm refueling the sidecar. I just point to the helmet and mumble "earplugs".

Granted, if you do that when standing next to a car, folks will ask questions about you, and not to you. ;)
Sponsored