Sponsored

Is fueling the Wrangler.. supposed to be really weird?

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Picked up my new Wrangler last week. Got gas for the first time today. This is the only time getting fuel has ever been an event.

First off, the filler neck is really floppy and loose. From some Googling apparently this is normal, but okay. The fuel nozzle didn't seem to want to go all the way in and it kept clicking off immediately unless I trickled the gas in. Heavy smell of gas fumes.

I figured out eventually I can go full flow if I support the full weight of the nozzle and tip up the filler neck a bit. It took about 15 gallons and indicated ~390 miles of range (with ~20mpg indicated) so it seems like it filled the tank just fine, assuming the Wrangler's fuel/range indicators keep a couple "ghost gallons" in the tank as a reserve like most cars do. 21.5 gallons at 20mpg would give a 430 mile range, minus 40 miles of "ghost gas."

Is this standard behavior? I've read of issues of people getting fuel tanks and such getting replaced because of fueling issues. Others say sometimes they have trouble getting gas somewhat randomly, but some gas stations/pumps specifically are troublesome. I'll obviously try a different gas station next time but this has been my go-to gas station for nearly 10 years with multiple cars and never had an issue.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Picked up my new Wrangler last week. Got gas for the first time today. This is the only time getting fuel has ever been an event.

First off, the filler neck is really floppy and loose. From some Googling apparently this is normal, but okay. The fuel nozzle didn't seem to want to go all the way in and it kept clicking off immediately unless I trickled the gas in. Heavy smell of gas fumes.

I figured out eventually I can go full flow if I support the full weight of the nozzle and tip up the filler neck a bit. It took about 15 gallons and indicated ~390 miles of range (with ~20mpg indicated) so it seems like it filled the tank just fine, assuming the Wrangler's fuel/range indicators keep a couple "ghost gallons" in the tank as a reserve like most cars do. 21.5 gallons at 20mpg would give a 430 mile range, minus 40 miles of "ghost gas."

Is this standard behavior? I've read of issues of people getting fuel tanks and such getting replaced because of fueling issues. Others say sometimes they have trouble getting gas somewhat randomly, but some gas stations/pumps specifically are troublesome. I'll obviously try a different gas station next time but this has been my go-to gas station for nearly 10 years with multiple cars and never had an issue.
Absolutely not. It might feel a bit different as fast as how deep the nozzle goes but otherwise I have never had an issue like you speak of. And in Wrangler fashion, I like to fill up as often as possible. Lol.
As for your mileage questions, use real world mileage and use the computer as a "best guess" if you follow that sort of thing.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Should not be loose. With that said, unless you put the nozzle fairly far in, you will not open the inner “flapper” valve (at least on mine) and you will have the fueling issue you describe. On mine you can feel a bit of resistance as you push the fuel nozzle in, push a bit further and you’re good to go.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Filling up for me is similar. If inserting the pump normal means having the bottom of the pump in the 6 o’clock position, I have to have it in the 2 or 3 o’clock position. Otherwise it keeps clicking off at most pumps. I typically put 17 gallons in. I think the most I’ve put in is 18.something if I drove for awhile on E.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Something is not right. When my 2015 JK was brand new I too had a similar issue. Dealer discovered a wad of paper in the filler tube…likely left by an unhappy worker during the manufacturing process. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Turaven

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
Should not be loose. With that said, unless you put the nozzle fairly far in, you will not open the inner “flapper” valve (at least on mine) and you will have the fueling issue you describe. On mine you can feel a bit of resistance as you push the fuel nozzle in, push a bit further and you’re good to go.
I'll try to keep an eye out for this flap next time.

Also I have a base model with the bare/exposed gas cap, no fuel door. Don't know if that would effect the flopping factor.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I haven’t had any of those issues, but I do have the fuel door so you might be onto something. I would have your dealer service department look at it.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Ours doesn't like the angle of the fuel nozzles. We can't insert one all the way in. If I hold it upwards slightly at the rear of the nozzle, I can fill at full speed just fine. It will click off regularly if I insert the nozzle as far as it will go and try to lock it on. Feels like the filler neck is completely wrong for the nozzles we have in Idaho.

REAWS6

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Rubicon 4xe
I am on my second JL and they have both been finicky about locking the nozzle and clicking them off before full. Just assumed it was a thing at this point!

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
I've run into that exact problem on many vehicles over the years. I would reserve judgement until you've tried a couple of different pumps or even gas stations. It could have been a hyper sensitive sensor on the station's end.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The intake tube has a little play, but shouldn’t feel loose.

Per the jumpy gas pump, that has more to do with the pump nozzle. It’s happened to me on certain gas stations with various vehicles.

Congrats on the new Jeep!

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
11k miles and I’ve never experienced nothing like that.

I’ve had extensive experience with other vehicles being hard to fuel and it was usually a problem with the fuel tank venting system. Kinked vent line, dirt plugged the vent cap, defective vapor canister, etc.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
The intake tube has a little play, but shouldn’t feel loose.

Per the jumpy gas pump, that has more to do with the pump nozzle. It’s happened to me on certain gas stations with various vehicles.

Congrats on the new Jeep!
Same here. Only happens to me at one particular station

Trini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

I only had an issue with pumping gas last week at Costco, and I told the attendant, as I believed it was an issue with the pump, not the jeep, as I've never had problems before. I had to angle the pump upwards and hold it there with both hands. So it may just be that specific pump, not the jeep.
Sponsored