Sponsored

Is FCA Looking to Get More Women Interested in Wranglers?

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Bob: We can both agree that FCA remains true to the core purchaser of the rig and isn't likely to incorporate a "flower holder" (said void of editorial, I speak simply of what the market wants) into the JL as a standard feature, like what was seen in the VW Beetle. But that said, you can bet FCA did considerable market research about what features to offer both as standard and upgrade.

FCA walks a fine line as it incorporates features into a rig originally focused on just off road capability, and not lose that tradition, while it steps into today's market of features. Ironically, many of the Easter eggs you refer to had intention on showcasing that tradition to its core no less than other markets might find them cutsy.

The reality is as FCA seeks to position the Wrangler in part as a vehicle that SUV buyers (e.g. Ford Explorer) might consider, it's forced to provide some of the features found in these rigs to do so, all while remaining reasonably price competitive while throwing considerable portions of that price into off road capabilities the competition doesn't have. It's a fine line to walk.

Additionally, the classic buyer often faces his own need to sell the purchase to his (dare I say more sensible) better half, who remembers that greater priority exists in taking their kids places, than "Moab." So indirectly, some of the sale needs to be to her as well through creature comforts that marketing focus groups with women reveal.

Speaking of which, we need look no further than here for evidence that the vastly male dominated replies to this post
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-jl-u-had-but-doesnt.2325/page-8#post-408826
suggest us guys wanting the bells in whistles no less, if not more, from power to A/C seats. So your not alone in willingness to accept, dare I say embrace those features.

For that reason, and my belief that both genders buy things they want, not crap, I'm hesitate to call it any gender's crap -- although I do appreciate where you were coming from. If my wife referred to some accessory I bought for my rig as "guy crap" I would be more apt to agree than be offended.
Basically a translation of what I said for the politically correct. ;)

With the exception of, "better half" -- a myth perpetrated buy males playing dumb in order to get what they want, a trait they may have learned from females. :) And I am not hesitant in calling any genders stuff crap. lol
Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
All I can say is that of the dozens of my friends who've owed Wranglers over the years ~80% have been women. And they don't baby their rigs.

P.S. My 2018 JLUR is my first Wrangler.
Not sure how long "over the years" means but if where talking JK 4 door that would make sense. The cute yet capable 4 door covers a lot of bases. And women drivers never baby any vehicle. lol

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Basically a translation of what I said for the politically correct. ;)

With the exception of, "better half" -- a myth perpetrated buy males playing dumb in order to get what they want, a trait they may have learned from females. :) And I am not hesitant in calling any genders stuff crap. lol
Bob: you describe the historic incorporation of features into the rig as it being "chickified."

Again, below would suggest that guys (as do you and I) are not only receptive to, but perhaps desirous of not only such features, but want a whole lot more.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-jl-u-had-but-doesnt.2325/page-8#post-408826

I'm glad you'll "call a spade a spade," for any gender. That's fair. FWIW, and it may be little, I've heard either gender that's married use the term "my better half." YMMV.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Bob: you describe the historic incorporation of features into the rig as it being "chickified."

Again, below would suggest that guys (as do you and I) are not only receptive to, but perhaps desirous of not only such features, but want a whole lot more.

I'm glad you'll "call a spade a spade," for any gender. That's fair. FWIW, and it may be little, I've heard either gender that's married use the term "my better half." YMMV.
No I did not describe the historic features of jeep as chic-a-fied. I did say the jeep is more capable than ever along with the added chicafication. Paraphrasing here. There is a difference in what I am saying and what you are NOW saying. I agree with your old post unless I misunderstood it.

I also said I liked it despite or even because of chicafication. Guys are sooo sensitive these days!! ;)

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
No I did not describe the historic features of jeep as chic-a-fied. I did say the jeep is more capable than ever along with the added chicafication. Paraphrasing here. There is a difference in what I am saying and what you are NOW saying. I agree with your old post unless I misunderstood it.

I also said I liked it despite or even because of chicafication. Guys are sooo sensitive these days!! ;)
I think you misunderstood.

I agree. You didn't describe the original Wrangler's as "chicafied." In fact anything but was how I'd took your thoughts. You did though described the incorporation of creature comfort features into it over time as chicafield.

That's what I mean when I said that you described the historic incorporation of features (i.e. the incorporation of features over time), not the historic Wrangler, into the rig as it being "chickified."

It's not some PC (politically correct) bone you've bruised for me, it's just that if guys are liking these features and want even more stock/options, I'm not sure the creature comforts have a gender, and if they do, it might be "manified."

I'll give you this. To the extent that FCA smartly put some features into the rig considered commonly liked features among women--if not also men--(and we've seen that Wrangler women are super diverse) realizing it is they who often green light their hubbies into purchase, then more power to FCA having a good pulse on their marketplace.

Peace brother.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I think you misunderstood.

I agree. You didn't describe the original Wrangler's as "chicafied." In fact anything but was how I'd took your thoughts. You did though described the incorporation of creature comfort features into it over time as chicafield.

That's what I mean when I said that you described the historic incorporation of features (i.e. the incorporation of features over time), not the historic Wrangler, into the rig as it being "chickified."

It's not some PC (politically correct) bone you've bruised for me, it's just that if guys are liking these features and want even more stock/options, I'm not sure the creature comforts have a gender, and if they do, it might be "manified."

I'll give you this. To the extent that FCA smartly put some features into the rig considered commonly liked features among women--if not also men--(and we've seen that Wrangler women are super diverse) realizing it is they who often green light their hubbies into purchase, then more power to FCA having a good pulse on their marketplace.

Peace brother.
I dont refer to a JK as historic, It was the beginning of chicafication. I look at anything prior as historic and lacking the kind of comfort most girl-ez and old men like me would like.lol Unless of course AC in my TJ could be considered foof-e. I was yelled at for using my AC in my TJ while doing the rubicon so maybe. haha.

I'm just having fun on this subject.

So question, who mall crawls more, men or women? ;)

Another: Are the wives stopping their husbands from putting lift kits on bigger tires? My answer is, she's trying. I get a lot of "I love it just the way it is, dont ruin it!" I have to agree, it is my biggest fear. lol

hai5rockin

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, MOAB 19
I'd say that when I first saw the color "bikini" I immediately thought FCA was targeting the female audience. I mean, most men don't wear Bikini's although, many of them like to see females wear them. Either way, it seems to me that the term "bikini" is definitely targeting my gender. Totally agree with you on this.

I wouldn't buy a Teal-looking Jeep because I don't like Teal. I like green, and so that's why I got the Mojito. I also am a bit different from the stereotype of a female that wants a "mall-crawler". Before I bought my Jeep and joined this forum, I had never heard of that term before (I HATE the mall and I'm not a social media junkie that lives for the "what's in" internet lingo; I got better things to do).

I bought a Wrangler because:

#1 I love animals and nature so naturally, a Wrangler is all about that and is capable of being in the wilderness!
#2 I wanted a vehicle that can withstand flood waters in my city and off-road on property that my family owns.
#3 I wanted to own something different from the many clones being driven on the roads, as that's how I've always been...I love being odd, and am extremely comfortable being different.

So just to reply to some of the other comments I'm seeing around these forums about the "misconceptions" of why females are buying Jeep Wranglers, for me it could not be further from the truth...
mic drop. well done!

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Really? The name when I first saw it reminded me of something WWII related. Something old school from the 40's/50's. I never once thought of gender in the least or even the article of clothing....UNTIL I saw that "barbie" Maria's Jeep. THAT right there put the thought into your and probably a lot of other guys heads.

I think people put too much thought into names and vehicles and just have to assign them to a gender.

I'm interested in seeing what this new color will look like, just as I was to see a pumpkin, hellayella, and mojito colors. I have zero interest in buying one as I like my choice. But I can at least appreciate a color no matter the gender that drive it.

And THIS cracked me up the most

Well maybe the first sign that they’re trying to attract more female buyers should’ve been that the JL color options include .... 50 shades of gray

(I couldn’t resist)
:cwl: Why? Because Jeep ALREADY does! Ha ha!!!

okie dokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I'd say that when I first saw the color "bikini" I immediately thought FCA was targeting the female audience. I mean, most men don't wear Bikini's although, many of them like to see females wear them. Either way, it seems to me that the term "bikini" is definitely targeting my gender. Totally agree with you on this.

I wouldn't buy a Teal-looking Jeep because I don't like Teal. I like green, and so that's why I got the Mojito. I also am a bit different from the stereotype of a female that wants a "mall-crawler". Before I bought my Jeep and joined this forum, I had never heard of that term before (I HATE the mall and I'm not a social media junkie that lives for the "what's in" internet lingo; I got better things to do).

I bought a Wrangler because:

#1 I love animals and nature so naturally, a Wrangler is all about that and is capable of being in the wilderness!
#2 I wanted a vehicle that can withstand flood waters in my city and off-road on property that my family owns.
#3 I wanted to own something different from the many clones being driven on the roads, as that's how I've always been...I love being odd, and am extremely comfortable being different.

So just to reply to some of the other comments I'm seeing around these forums about the "misconceptions" of why females are buying Jeep Wranglers, for me it could not be further from the truth...

+1

I had a 97TJ in my 20s I was too broke to do much with but simply loved Jeep Life.
(Have been rained on more times than I can count, taken the hard top off by myself plenty ...let's just say where there is a will there is a way.) LOVED my Jeep and drove it till the wheels fell off.
Always missed it.

When the JL came out it was time.

I'm not much into the idea of boulder/rock climbing but I cant wait to continue my tour of the National Parks! Great Smokeys are up next!

As for those knuckleheads on here thinking we wimmen folk would buy that monstrous bikini color go kick rocks...srsly.

Sponsored

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
I had thick, beautiful, long brown wavy hair before my kids sucked the life out of me. I cut it off because it was always in a ponytail, so I was trying to force myself to do something with it. Now I just have permanent Jeep hair, so I guess goals achieved or something. :headbang:
20210901_124234.jpg

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
My daughter "can't wait to get" hers. She wants an all-white Sahara. She has another 1.5 years though, and then we still have to find one for the right price....
My daughter wants the same all white Jeep. One more year of college left for her then?
Sponsored