Sponsored

Is FCA Looking to Get More Women Interested in Wranglers?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
You too, huh... The same thing happens to me when I drive the 911... I get approached by swarms of......older......men. :(
Must be a regional thing… Maybe NC has more older males?? lol!Nothing special about Porsche here. Here in the Chicago area the 911 hardly ever turns heads... unless my wife is driving. Then it's younger teenage males if they notice. lol.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
You too, huh... The same thing happens to me when I drive the 911... I get approached by swarms of......older......men. :(
Like my S2000, if I was a creeper who liked teenage boys it would be perfect. It appears to be invisible to women. But I get comments from all sorts of people on my Jeep, I think A) because it's a flashy color (red) and B) because it is very non-pretentious and approachable. No one thinks you are a jerk for driving a $45k (or more!) Wrangler, but they'd think you were a jerk for driving a $32k base BMW 320i.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Only vehicles that turn my head are: Jeep Wranglers, SRTs (of any sort), motorcycles...and doesn't matter the gender behind the wheel/tank. I see any of them riding around, my attention is caught! :involve:

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
They started marketing Jeeps to women when they added 2 more doors to it.

That's really a valid point, if subtle (I don't know your tone.) Guys wanted their Wrangler, their better halves said (accurately) "no way can we swing you having 2 vehciles: your Wrangler for fun, and a sedan for the kids, and still put away money for the kid's college fund," and a rig that could meet dad's and the family's needs was born that outpaced the 2 door in sales in the JK era.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I doubt “bikini” was a female move. Color names are so stupid anyway. Bikini was a group of islands before it was a bathing suit.

Proving further: Punk’n is selling to whom, assuming you go by name? Degenerates?

44AFC839-5C37-449D-A8E4-701EA9F72939.jpeg
I always thought, maybe incorrectly, that the Punk'n name was meant solely as a funny "play" on the orange color of a pumpkin. But with so many people in the market, I am sure enough of them saw it the way you did as a nod to some (slightly) radical lifestyle aspects, consistent with "punk" the lifestyle/notion/culture.

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I always thought, maybe incorrectly, that the Punk'n name was meant solely as a funny "play" on the orange color of a pumpkin. But with so many people in the market, I am sure enough of them saw it the way you did as a nod to some (slightly) radical lifestyle aspects, consistent with "punk" the lifestyle/notion/culture.
Oh, I knew the play. I just meant that everything can be torn apart for ulterior interpretations. The world we live in.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Wow thanks for this! Had no clue...learn something new everyday :) :like:
Yep, a big part of American history, actually. Cooresponds to WW2, so I’m guessing that’s more in Jeep’s thinking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_Atoll

That said, the irony is that the native translation of the word is basically “place for coconuts”. So you can bring the conversation full circle with that, lol!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Must be a regional thing… Maybe NC has more older males?? lol!Nothing special about Porsche here. Here in the Chicago area the 911 hardly ever turns heads... unless my wife is driving. Then it's younger teenage males if they notice. lol.
I'd agree... nothing special about it.... but it's a d*ck-magnet.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd agree... nothing special about it.... but it's a d*ck-magnet.
I am attract to them. lol. Nothing special status wise but definitely special driving wise. Honestly I really love the way the 911s drive with the exception of the front end lift under power. The steering can feel a little light under power. Other then that it is among one of my most favorite cars to drive Super confidence inspiring to drive. Easy to drive fast, makes me look like a better driver then I really am. lol. I think not too many people notice 911s because it's not as exotic looking? Or they are fairly common compared to F-cars. I also think each generation is less and less interested in cars. Most kids today don't care about a drivers license or a first car. All they want is a the latest iPhone so they can use the Uber app. lol. Or there are less enthusiast. That's a problem with the automotive industry.

Sponsored

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Honestly I really love the way the 911s drive with the exception of the front end lift under power. The steering can feel a little light under power. Other then that it is among one of my most favorite cars to drive Super confidence inspiring to drive. Easy to drive fast, makes me look like a better driver then I really am.
The 911 has no business handling the way it does from an engineering point of view. It's the only sports car that has the engine outside the wheelbase. Think about all that rear weight and energy as you fling it through the canyons and the confidence may dwindle a bit. It has ever since this has been brought to my attention. Still one of my favorite cars despite this obvious flaw.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
I belong to a few all female Jeep groups on Facebook--each with 10,000+ members. Yes, there is some member overlap (i.e. me), but there are multiple women who only post in one. So based on my random sampling, aside from women who have wrapped their Jeeps in Tiffany blue, none of them ever refer to their specific Jeep color name (whether they own a CJ or a JL or anything in between).

I have admittedly bought more than one car in my life with a color that I hated, but the name of the color was never the reason I hated it. Those cars were always used though. I assume that when most people purchase a new car, they buy something visually appealing to them. Of course, I say that as someone driving a Jeep in a color I never even considered owning before I saw it in person. :giggle:

At any rate, aside from enthusiasts, most people won't know the specific color name of someone else's car. Unless a man is incredibly insecure, I can't imagine he would be so fragile that he would avoid buying a color he likes based solely on the name.

To answer your original point though, the bright colors and unique names are probably meant to catch the eye of women, but it could also be a throwback to the muscle car days. Even the new Dodge Challenger was released in purple, wasn't it?
I am not part of that female focus group. I think I would have liked bikini blue (robin egg, Yas Marina ish whatever someone calls it) on the right vehicle. Love the shade on BMWs (google Yas Marina BMW M) love it on some older Audi S models, I don’t think I love it on the Wrangler. That said I am thinking that color on an unlimited. On a 4 door not my fav. On a two door I’d do a hell of a lot more colors than I’d do on the 4. In the 2 door, for me bring on Gecko, Chief, Bikini (made myself lol), etc. - one exception... I have never really cared for that purple color that came out a few years ago.. have said this 101 times, taste is subjective. My favorite Mexican restaurants are not the best on the planet - I like them, they make me happy. Same goes with the color of vehicle you get. They are all the same price, get what makes you happy :)
And no, I would not pick or not pick a car color because of the mfg’s name for the shade.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 911 has no business handling the way it does from an engineering point of view. It's the only sports car that has the engine outside the wheelbase. Think about all that rear weight and energy as you fling it through the canyons and the confidence may dwindle a bit. It has ever since this has been brought to my attention. Still one of my favorite cars despite this obvious flaw.
I owned several 911s from the air-cooled to modern. In the older air cooled 911s you had to get back on the gas to prevent oversteer, not lift. It was very counterintuitive. Modern 911s are engineering marvels. All of the modern electronics completely mask and almost defy physics. All the weight back there does help with traction though. lol. The Cayman seems to address the whole engine placement argument. lol.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I am not part of that female focus group. I think I would have liked bikini blue (robin egg, Yas Marina ish whatever someone calls it) on the right vehicle. Love the shade on BMWs (google Yas Marina BMW M) love it on some older Audi S models, I don’t think I love it on the Wrangler. That said I am thinking that color on an unlimited. On a 4 door not my fav. On a two door I’d do a hell of a lot more colors than I’d do on the 4. In the 2 door, for me bring on Gecko, Chief, Bikini (made myself lol), etc. - one exception... I have never really cared for that purple color that came out a few years ago.. have said this 101 times, taste is subjective. My favorite Mexican restaurants are not the best on the planet - I like them, they make me happy. Same goes with the color of vehicle you get. They are all the same price, get what makes you happy :)
And no, I would not pick or not pick a car color because of the mfg’s name for the shade.
BMW had a beautiful turquoise shade on the X3 a year or so ago. They may still use it, but I don't really follow BMW. I just remember loving the color because I am turquoise obsessed. My glasses are turquoise. My nose piercing is turquoise. My kitchen and gym are turquoise. I want my hair to be turquoise, but up until about a month or so ago, it was purple like the 2018 JK Jeep. :rock:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase