Sponsored

Is every Jeep dealership in the North East impossible to work with on used Jeeps?

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
In my hunt for a used 2018 JL, I have called multiple dealerships. What I am finding is that Jeep dealerships in specific have the biggest heads in the game. Every time I call, I speak to a manager (or so they say) and they say there is no wiggle room on a deal.

Basically, in my most recent search, I found a used JL, that the dealership has listed at $39K that is their courtesy vehicle. I called and asked if there is wiggle room. They say no, but drive in your car to see if we can do better on the trade in. They basically refuse to work with you.

My favorite is that a dealership less then 10 miles from them have NEW 2018 Sahara's listed at $41K with the same package. It just boggles my mind the attitudes and the big heads these dealerships have over these cars.

Sorry to vent, but after losing out yesterday on the Jeep I wanted, I am pretty exhausted with this search and these dealers. Specifically dealers from Jeep.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Heard that, just haven't seen any used Sahara's that I wanted there unfortunately.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Wranglers don't drop in value much and dealers don't wiggle too much on used vehicles. That's where they make a lot of money to make up low margins on new vehicles. The overwhelming majority of Wrangler buyers pay MSRP or close to MSRP. What you see on this forum isn't the norm for most Jeep owners. When you consider what most people pay and the fact Wranglers retain their value it's not a surprise used ones aren't far off from 5-8% below invoice on a new one. Quite frankly what people ask on here and facebook are far more laughable than what I've seen dealers ask on used JLs.

This is one of the few vehicles worth buying brand new because of this. Save up some money and splurge once you can on a brand new one at one of the dealerships recommended on here selling below invoice. Almost all of the orders taking 4 weeks to come in, that's not a long time to wait.

Sponsored

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
Reason why they do this is because the market allows for it. I am in the same boat as you. I can't see purchasing a used Jeep with 8k miles on it for 4k off of MSRP.

I do predict that used JL prices will go down once all of the leases start returning.

Everyone I know on Long Island who has a Jeep keeps telling me 'call my buddy at NNNN dealer, he will hook you up' only to call and find the person who referred me is being ripped off. This is why I say our market allows for it. There is enough wealth here that most people don't seem to care.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
In my hunt for a used 2018 JL, I have called multiple dealerships. What I am finding is that Jeep dealerships in specific have the biggest heads in the game. Every time I call, I speak to a manager (or so they say) and they say there is no wiggle room on a deal.

Basically, in my most recent search, I found a used JL, that the dealership has listed at $39K that is their courtesy vehicle. I called and asked if there is wiggle room. They say no, but drive in your car to see if we can do better on the trade in. They basically refuse to work with you.

My favorite is that a dealership less then 10 miles from them have NEW 2018 Sahara's listed at $41K with the same package. It just boggles my mind the attitudes and the big heads these dealerships have over these cars.

Sorry to vent, but after losing out yesterday on the Jeep I wanted, I am pretty exhausted with this search and these dealers. Specifically dealers from Jeep.
I started out this spring looking for a used JK. I quickly realized that a newer used JK (even though the JL was available) didn’t cost too much less than a new JL. I have a friend whose family owns a Jeep dealership. I saw a used one online and asked him about it. It was gone already. His quote was, “Dude used Wranglers last about a day on the lot.”

In June I wound up getting a very good deal on an ‘18 leftover JL.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
You need to look around, at least 7~10 dealerships for what you want. Then list the lowest prices at dealership A, call the next dealership B and see if they would drop more than dealership A. Drive to the dealership that gives you the best deal in the phone, then negotiate in person, right before you are ready to shake hands, call the other dealership in front of them and ask the other dealership to drop their price. That's how you will get the best deal, it works for me.

But also remember, if there are not many options for what you are looking for it means the market offer is low and demand is high so you really don't have much room to negotiate. For that difference in price, I would just buy a new one, also why would someone sell their vehicle from last year? that's basically new... it happens but it is so rare, you'd have more options if you look for a new one or wait till next year.

JL's are selling in huge numbers, which is not a good thing when you are looking for one... there is an incredible demand for these jeeps.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
We purchased our first new vehicle in 13 years. The automobile purchasing experience is one of the worst things I can think of to do. Your experience is why we still have our 2004 Tahoe, 275,000 miles and our 2005 Silverado Duramax, 387,000.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer is fantastic: Capitol in Willimantic, CT

Sponsored

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security

Hey,
I would say contact the guys at Budget of Harrisburg. They have a few businesses and one of them is Leasing Jeeps and Trucks for 1 Year. After the lease concludes the customers take another one and they sell the Yr old Jeeps. They worked with me and I bought my JL from them. They are straight shooters too.

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0

You never should ask if they have wiggle room. Make your offer and keep it lower than your target number. They should make a counter offer. Walk away , they will call in a day or so and make another offer. There is a game to be played and you have to learn how to play it. I just ordered a new Wrangler that stickered out at 52,185. They offered to knock 500 bucks off that. I told them I would pay 47k. 5 days later after much back and forth, they sold me the jeep for 48,873. I thought that was a decent deal.
When the salesman and I first sat down and specked out the jeep he said they would only knock 500 off the vehicle because it was ordered. Point is , they are all full of shit. In year area , there is tons of competition so you should be able to get the price you are after. Money talks. Make an offer ,leave your phone number. They will call.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Wranglers don't drop in value much and dealers don't wiggle too much on used vehicles. That's where they make a lot of money to make up low margins on new vehicles. The overwhelming majority of Wrangler buyers pay MSRP or close to MSRP. What you see on this forum isn't the norm for most Jeep owners. When you consider what most people pay and the fact Wranglers retain their value it's not a surprise used ones aren't far off from 5-8% below invoice on a new one. Quite frankly what people ask on here and facebook are far more laughable than what I've seen dealers ask on used JLs.

This is one of the few vehicles worth buying brand new because of this. Save up some money and splurge once you can on a brand new one at one of the dealerships recommended on here selling below invoice. Almost all of the orders taking 4 weeks to come in, that's not a long time to wait.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy. The thing is, I am noticing that Jeep dealers pretty much say screw you. Meanwhile, I have spoken to 4 separate dealerships (Chevy, 2 BMW and Dodge) and all of those guys wanted to get rid of trade ins they got. They were all willing to work with me. We didn't agree on price, but they were willing to wiggle.

I think I am just defeated knowing, I first have to find the car I want again, then negotiate the car again. I don't even feel like the figure I am offering is offensive. I am literally like $1,000 of where we settle in at, and they act like that $1K is the grand canyon of prices.

Also, kind of hurts that I lost 2 cars within a day of getting them, and those cars were sitting with the dealerships for like a month and I some how missed them. It's pretty exhausting.

I started out this spring looking for a used JK. I quickly realized that a newer used JK (even though the JL was available) didn’t cost too much less than a new JL. I have a friend whose family owns a Jeep dealership. I saw a used one online and asked him about it. It was gone already. His quote was, “Dude used Wranglers last about a day on the lot.”

In June I wound up getting a very good deal on an ‘18 leftover JL.
What did you end up paying, and what extras did it have? I am looking to be at like $36 or $36.5K.

You need to look around, at least 7~10 dealerships for what you want. Then list the lowest prices at dealership A, call the next dealership B and see if they would drop more than dealership A. Drive to the dealership that gives you the best deal in the phone, then negotiate in person, right before you are ready to shake hands, call the other dealership in front of them and ask the other dealership to drop their price. That's how you will get the best deal, it works for me.

But also remember, if there are not many options for what you are looking for it means the market offer is low and demand is high so you really don't have much room to negotiate. For that difference in price, I would just buy a new one, also why would someone sell their vehicle from last year? that's basically new... it happens but it is so rare, you'd have more options if you look for a new one or wait till next year.

JL's are selling in huge numbers, which is not a good thing when you are looking for one... there is an incredible demand for these jeeps.
So this is what I always do. This has worked for all my wife's cars. But with Jeep, specifically at Jeep dealerships, they don't give a damn. I literally had a "manager" on the phone, where I said, here is the link to THE EXACT car you have at $1,000 less. She said, nope, I have no wiggle room. Then she said something about her manager. Meanwhile I asked to speak to the main manager at the shop, as I was ready to buy today.

I can't wait for her phone call at the end of the month when that car is sitting there and she asks me if I still want it. I am highly debating if I want to be a complete jerk to her. I think I will keep it simple and tell her that I don't want to work with her and would like to work with the final manager that makes the finalized decisions.

I think with it being mid month, none of these guys care. Especially at Jeep.

In terms of the huge numbers JL are selling at, I was reading two separate articles that there are JLs sitting on many lots. I know that for sure because I have 10 dealerships calling me for new JLs, and I told all of them, if they don't do -8% of invoice, I will just work on a group buy from here. But even then the -8% for the spec vehicle I want is still like $7K over the price of used.

With that savings, I want to lift the Jeep and do other fun things with it. That's why I am suffering through the used buying process.

Hey,
I would say contact the guys at Budget of Harrisburg. They have a few businesses and one of them is Leasing Jeeps and Trucks for 1 Year. After the lease concludes the customers take another one and they sell the Yr old Jeeps. They worked with me and I bought my JL from them. They are straight shooters too.
Thanks for the tip, I will reach out to them to see what they have.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Try Cooper Jeep in Richfield Springs, NY 13439, they have several 2018 Saharas, deeply discounted, no Gimmicks, very easy to deal with. Ask for Kevin Royce . 315-858-1350. MSRP $48,420 , sale price $39,995 for examp!e. A manual Sport, list $42,600 sale $36,600.
Small dealership, no games that I see others complain about. Easy to reach from NYS Thruway

IMG_20190912_122114562_HDR_resized.jpg

IMG_20190912_122046925_HDR_resized.jpg

OP
OP

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
You never should ask if they have wiggle room. Make your offer and keep it lower than your target number. They should make a counter offer. Walk away , they will call in a day or so and make another offer. There is a game to be played and you have to learn how to play it. I just ordered a new Wrangler that stickered out at 52,185. They offered to knock 500 bucks off that. I told them I would pay 47k. 5 days later after much back and forth, they sold me the jeep for 48,873. I thought that was a decent deal.
When the salesman and I first sat down and specked out the jeep he said they would only knock 500 off the vehicle because it was ordered. Point is , they are all full of shit. In year area , there is tons of competition so you should be able to get the price you are after. Money talks. Make an offer ,leave your phone number. They will call.
Yeah, I am trying to do this on the phone. With my wife's cars, I never had an issue doing this on the phone. Going in person is ideal, but some of these dealerships are 2 hours away. So doing the in and and out game doesn't work so well, especially on used. For new, I do this all the time as it's really easy to work the dealerships off each other on the same models.

For a used JL that is most likely a trade in and not an expired lease, this is harder to do. Especially when I also have it narrowed down to a color I want.
Sponsored