Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I've rarely run my dash camera with the volume up for me to hear an electronic voice tell me what it's doing.

Working silently behind the scenes, ready on a moment's notice to show facts to law enforcement in the event of an accident/incident is my idea of its ideal operation. To my way of thinking, the proverb that "children should best be seen, but not heard, unless when called upon" really best applies to dash cameras, not kids.

With the volume up on the device though the other day the camera told me it was going into "parking mode" while I was sitting at a long traffic light with ESS engaged.

My dash camera is by design hooked up to two power sources: one where power is always on, and another where power is on only when so too is the vehicle. For the latter I tapped some wires near the sun visor. When only the "power is always on" source has juice, (e.g. the vehicle is parked) the dash camera goes into "parking mode," knowing to shut itself off if vehicle batteries' voltage drops below a use selected 12.X threshold.

..behaviors nothing new to dash cam owners.

Who would have thought the that those visor wires would also be excluded from power during ESS events.

I guess this is an extension of the vehicle's design of the "garage door opener not working when the rig's off so you can't break into the home vis a vis the JL," to include ESS events as well. ;)

Food for thought.

Critics: feel free to enter with "so you can't put the rig in park in your driveway (disengaging ESS) before pressing the garage door opener buttons!" :LOL:
Sponsored