Sponsored

Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
In my JK, top/doors off was definitely a deterrent for speeding....mainly because it couldn’t. Cruising at 70 required 5th gear, and any acceleration required 3rd. with a lot of throttle
The JL at least has the power to hold speed and accelerate like a normal vehicle with the extra drag, lol.

It’s definitely not like my Challenger, where you could creep up to 90 without even knowing, but it’s not uncomfortable at speed. It’s still requires you to ‘want’ to speed. Both in noise and required throttle input.

Gas mileage tanks hard above 70. Top/ doors on mine will do 20-22 mpg. At 75-80 is tanks to 16-18 mpg. There are highways here that are 75 mph, culture is to cruise at 5 over. When I get to those regions of higher speed limits, that gas needle really begins to move. But as far as wind noise, it’s no worse than any other convertible or T-top. About 80-82db according to my watch. 74-76db with top on.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Last summer I did a 200 mile drive with top open and tube doors on a 75 degree day. To answer the question, no. There was no reason to speed. I didn’t want the ride to end.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I find that this happens no matter the configuration. I tend to just....enjoy the drive. The Jeep is a no worries machine. Traffic. Red light. Rain with the top off. Skunk. meh. All just.....part of the experience. This is how you feel more "connected" with the world in a Jeep.
I agree with everything except the rain. At 50k I don’t want any water in my Jeep.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I'm hearing you there!
This may be my first Jeep but i love it more every time i drive out the garage :involve:
I think I’ll take exception to the skunk part-a skunk and an open Jeep would be a nasty combo (so says the man whose dog’s got into it with THREE skunks-dog thinks he won ‘cause the skunk’s are dead-wife and I don’t agree😳

Sponsored

OP
OP
Geez

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2019
I agree with everything except the rain. At 50k I don’t want any water in my Jeep.
I've not got caught in the rain (yet) but i know its a matter of time, and when that happens i'm not sure what i'll do;
1) become a lead-foot and find shelter
2) resign myself to my fate as you only get wet once

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I've not got caught in the rain (yet) but i know its a matter of time, and when that happens i'm not sure what i'll do;
1) become a lead-foot and find shelter
2) resign myself to my fate as you only get wet once
Stay moving and you’ll stay dry. I’ve had multiple convertibles and Jeeps. As long as you stay moving, the airflow over the windshield will keep you mostly dry, even with the doors off.

The exception is a torrential downpour. With the flat windshield, it creates a low pressure center, and you’ll get rain on the backside of the windshield. Confusing the first time you see it, because the wipers are doing something, but there is still rain drops in your way.

This is how I ran my JK from may until September. I left the drain plugs out and kept a towel stuffed in the seat to wipe off rain on the vinyl before hopping in, but once moving, even in rain, I was dry. I don’t do it with my JL, since the seats are cloth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding? 1A5hWybl

OP
OP
Geez

Geez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 2019
Very handy
Stay moving and you’ll stay dry. I’ve had multiple convertibles and Jeeps. As long as you stay moving, the airflow over the windshield will keep you mostly dry, even with the doors off.

The exception is a torrential downpour. With the flat windshield, it creates a low pressure center, and you’ll get rain on the backside of the windshield. Confusing the first time you see it, because the wipers are doing something, but there is still rain drops in your way.

This is how I ran my JK from may until September. I left the drain plugs out and kept a towel stuffed in the seat to wipe off rain on the vinyl before hopping in, but once moving, even in rain, I was dry. I don’t do it with my JL, since the seats are cloth.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is driving with the top down (or off) a deterrent for speeding? 1A5hWybl
Very handy to know, thank you :)

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Back in my early 20's I had a YJ when 55 MPH speed limits were a thing. Never got a speeding ticket because doing 55 MPH in a YJ with the top down felt like you were flying by the seat of your pants. All the thrills a young man needs.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks to guys like you I no longer have “fear” of tube doors on a day where there’s a small dark cloud and a 20% chance of rain. I remember so many times staring at the sky trying to make a decision to pull my doors. I’m ok with the roof dilemma (Sky One) but always worried about getting caught in wind blown sideways rain.
This pic really did it for me. It’s from one of our forum brothers who got a surprise snow storm overnight.......

3CF6F646-A3A2-493A-A693-50033B69D43F.png

Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
top down still 80 in the left lane.... doors off i do slow down because the wind does get kinda loud. but then again i ride and do 80 if im on the freeway. Either way im always over the speed limit by a handful or so......

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
I tend to agree with this sentiment. With my last sedan, I treated speed limits as a suggestion and not a requirement! In my first Wrangler and for the most part, I don't have an interest in speeding. I'm very content to do the speed limit, put it in cruise control occasionally, and just enjoy the ride. It's just a nicer riding experience with the top off.

Had mid-60s weather last week and just looked for excuses to cruise around town. Felt so relaxed at the end of the day. Even the wife was coming home from work stressed out and worked up and I just told her that we were going for a ride...while she was enjoying the open air experience, I told her to stick her hands up so she could feel the wind. The stress quickly melted away. We found a winner!

Now, my hat did blow off once. Remedy was to not slow down but rather, not wear a hat! 😄

Last edited:

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I think I’ll take exception to the skunk part-a skunk and an open Jeep would be a nasty combo
...yes, and a suitably-aged and bloated roadkill deer is even worse. On the flip side- drive past a U-pick strawberry farm at the appropriate time of year on a nice warm day. It don't get much better than that...

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I think in the jeep, it’s more of a chill driving machine. Granted i’m still an idiot where no one around but that’s not always. The trick if you’re in a rush to not speed and time the stop lights so that you don’t have to stop. Just leap frog coasting to each one. Or go over curbs and what not and find short cuts is an option too.
Sponsored