Sponsored

Is Bronco worth the wait?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Not all JL Wranglers had steering problems but a lot sure did. I'd take a top that has defects over steering issues. While there aren't a lot on the road currently, there are Bronco's out there with zero problems other than a top that will eventually be replaced. Maybe Jeep should have fixed the wandering steering on the JL before releasing them? It's all perspective I guess.
I agree the JL has had it's fair share of initial OQ issues. In fairness most new vehicles do. Some car companies more than others. We all know where FCA products are on all QC surveys. Some early JLs had frame welds and steering issues. My '19 JLR did not have those issues but it had a few other issues. Some resolved and some not.
I like this idea but aren't thousands of vehicles awaiting a hard top rather than customers getting a soft top? I don't think thousands of customers would take their Bronco (I know I wouldn't) with this aftermarket soft top instead of getting a defective hard top. I'd rather take delivery with a defective hard top and wait on a replacement down the road. I don't personally agree with Ford's decision to hold all the hard tops now at this point with all of the waiting orders. It could be much more costly than 10-12 million when factoring in the cost of these tops AND the labor associated with installing and then eventually removing the soft tops.
I would not take delivery if I were a customer. Who knows how long a real solution will take. Webesto built a brand new factory from the ground up in MI just for the Bronco hard tops. They should have had good tops by now. There is more to the story. I can see Ford blaming Webesto and Webesto blaming Ford.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
ā€œIs it worth the waitā€? Not to this guy. Had my Two-door Bronco VIN since April, and my build delayed 5x since the latest debacle. I have lost faith that Ford can deliver, and Iā€™m signing the papers on a 2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Islander edition this morning.
Right there with ya. Tired of the delays and although I wasnā€™t in a position to need a vehicle, Iā€™m fortunate enough to be able to wait a bit. But not 2022 or 2023 for a bronco.
After I canceled Ford still sending me emails on delays. Happy I ordered a Jeep.

Bartholomew

First Name
Bartholomew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sounds like you should probably reserve further judgement until you actually see one in person. You previously thought they looked like garbage because you mistook it for the Bronco Sport and now its identical to a Wrangler in your view. It doesn't have the same dimensions or the same look other than also having a removable door and top. Sure there are certain similarities b but you could do this with any car manufacturer and say "how is an Audi S4 and a BMW M3 not the same!?!?!". Go look up side by side images and you'll see plenty of differences. Usually best to with hold judgement or a valid opinion on something until you find out more information.

731903.jpg

2021 Bronco 4-door vs Jeep Wrangler JLUR Rubicon 4-Door 2.jpg

2021 Bronco 4-door vs Jeep Wrangler JLUR Rubicon 4-Door 3.jpg
After waiting to see a couple in the wild, I can safely say IMO there is nothing special about the Bronco other than it is rare to see. The Rapid Red and Cyber Orange are great color options, but the other colors are lacking. The soft top doesn't fit at all. The hard top is better than the soft top, but again it fell short. The body looks like a Flex that was stung by a bee. The tech inside is amazing, but is out of place with the cheap looking plastic.

If you have one on order and are going to wait it out, I hope you love your rig and that it is a great match for you. If you don't have one on order, I'd recommend waiting a year or two for Ford to make some needed tweaks.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a video of the Bestop aftermarket softop.

I really like it. Looks a LOT more tight fitting than Ford's, and apparently comes with a regular removable rear curtain!

It took Bestop a few months to accomplish what Ford wasn't able to do after years of development.

Surprised they didnā€™t also try and partner with besttop.

I can see 4,000 Bronco owners lining up to replace their defective hardtops. As usual, well done @Bestop !
After waiting to see a couple in the wild, I can safely say IMO there is nothing special about the Bronco other than it is rare to see. The Rapid Red and Cyber Orange are great color options, but the other colors are lacking. The soft top doesn't fit at all. The hard top is better than the soft top, but again it fell short. The body looks like a Flex that was stung by a bee. The tech inside is amazing, but is out of place with the cheap looking plastic.

If you have one on order and are going to wait it out, I hope you love your rig and that it is a great match for you. If you don't have one on order, I'd recommend waiting a year or two for Ford to make some needed tweaks.
The interior is what did it for me.

Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Is Bronco worth the wait? FB_IMG_1570155469588

Wife's last jeep before the 2019 JLUR was a 2001 wj.
A friend of mine has a WJ too, those things are amazing, granted he couldn't do something in the mud I was doing.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The interior is what did it for me.
The interior did not do it for me. Ford could have done a lot better. The nail in the coffin was the recent news about the hard tops. That and unknown availability and potential parts shortages for service /warranty.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The interior did not do it for me. Ford could have done a lot better. The nail in the coffin was the recent news about the hard tops. That and unknown availability and potential parts shortages for service /warranty.
I get whole open air and no beam but that provides support mounts for the roof. plus the headliner is some cheap material. I cant believe I was going to trade my Jeep for a bronco...glad I woke up and am trading for a 392...much better choice.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I'm not sure I heard anywhere in the video or saw anything that equaled "Toyota Crawl Control electronic aids are clearly superior to Bronco's"....? This particular video has been my favorite comparison where its just 2 guys enjoying the vehicles for what they are without needlessly bashing either. I thought it mainly showed that they are both capable in their own right and again...you can not take the top/doors off the 4Runner while the Bronco seems to be just as good both on AND off road. I'd still have a 4Runner if a convertible option was available as it may be dated in most ways (engine/transmission/interior/styling) but is IMO the most proven reliable machine out of the three as a daily driver.
I say this as someone who went from a 4Runner Trail to a Rubicon and also have a Bronco reservation in place.
Did you watch the video? The Ford sat there and dug a hole without making forward progress until the rear locker was turned on. Even with the hole dug by the much larger tired Bronco going first the crawl control walked right through it. No locker, no sway bar disconnect. It looked planted while the Bronco looked like a turtle? The obstacle around the 11 minute mark.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get whole open air and no beam but that provides support mounts for the roof. plus the headliner is some cheap material. I cant believe I was going to trade my Jeep for a bronco...glad I woke up and am trading for a 392...much better choice.
Great choice. I think the 392 will be one of the most coveted Wranglers ever with EVs on the horizon.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I had a very early Bronco reservation. There were so many delays that we got tired of waiting. Then my wife saw our current Sarge Green Rubicon and she decided she had to have it. Iā€™m glad we cancelled our reservation after seeing the cluster f that Ford created. I was still thinking of waiting on the Bronco Warthog but I suspect it will have a $70K starting price. Also, after seeing the Bronco in person, Iā€™ve been largely unimpressed with several things. Mostly the interior, which wasnā€™t well thought out and looks cheap when compared to the Wrangler.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I had a very early Bronco reservation. There were so many delays that we got tired of waiting. Then my wife saw our current Sarge Green Rubicon and she decided she had to have it. Iā€™m glad we cancelled our reservation after seeing the cluster f that Ford created. I was still thinking of waiting on the Bronco Warthog but I suspect it will have a $70K starting price. Also, after seeing the Bronco in person, Iā€™ve been largely unimpressed with several things. Mostly the interior, which wasnā€™t well thought out and looks cheap when compared to the Wrangler.
My thoughts exactly. Everything time I hope on their forums and see the delays and makes me so glad I stuck with Jeep and cancelled my bronco order.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I think the next version (whatever Ford does to improve this initial release) will probably be worth looking at. The current release is just not impressive IMHO.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Bronco looks just like a FJ, so why wait - just order a FJ now šŸ¤£
FJ Cruiser is already out of production.

Then again, so is the Bronco... šŸ˜«
Sponsored