Sponsored

Is blind spot monitoring worthwhile on the 2 door JL?

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still working on my first Jeep
I'm curious is anyone with a 2 door JL regrets not getting the safety package? If I was getting a JLU, I wouldn't hesitate, but I'm set on getting a 2 door. On the short 2 door test drives I've done, I didn't really have any issues without it. I did enjoy having it on a JLU I rented for a weekend.
Sponsored

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Ordered my JLR with blind spot monitoring (BSM).
Also installed the little round blind spot mirrors on both sides of the Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is blind spot monitoring worthwhile on the 2 door JL? Potts Nov 21 Passenger Sid

The BSM is a nice to have safety feature for the Hwy.
The little round mirrors also help on the Hwy and can help when wheeling.

Biggest advantage to the BSM is its ability to see motorcycles on the hwy.
On my 2012 Mustang, it just has the factory round little mirrors.
There has been more than one occasion when driving the Mustang where a motorcycle was hiding in my blind spot and I really had to look hard to see them (I use the triple check method).
On the JLR, the BSM does a good job of seeing motorcycles in my blind spot.

Last I checked, it was possible to order the BSM which gives you rear LEDs. If one is going to lift the Jeep, gut the fenders, and take out the factory turn signals, it may make more financial sense to not get the LED package and add the BSM option. Then add front LED headlights later.

My $0.015 worth, the BSM is a good safety feature to have on a JL. Just wish the rear taillights did not stick out so far. Trail damage to the rear taillights can be $$.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
I have 2 SUVs with BSM, my JLU doesn't have it and I do not feel like I am missing anything. You can easily see out and dont feel like there's a blind spot (mirrors positioned in such a way where you dont see any of your sides).
Back up sensors - I just look at my screen while backing up, all the beeping is redundant (hate it on my Explorer when backing up with trailer or a bin carrier).

Only thing worth having is LED pack (looks much better ..day or night...and iliminate far better), and proximity key - maybe because all other cars of mine have it and its a habit of not using a key fob.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I like the BSM, it keeps you from leaning forward in the seat to make sure no one’s beside you when changing lanes. The one slight thing I’m not crazy about is if you’re in the right lane on a 3 lane highway and there’s a car 2 lanes over in the left, the mirror light comes on sometimes. Now if you want to move over you still have to lean forward in your seat to confirm that it’s picking up the car 2 lanes over and not someone beside you. I have to admit, you wouldn’t have that problem with spot mirrors.
As far as a 2 door Jeep, I believe every vehicle has a blind spot. Even a stupid smart car. If it’s in your budget I’d say get the feature. It is a nice extra safety.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I am pleased with mine. I would like to see the markers repeated on the front dash so that I would know about a vehicle without having to turn to look at the mirror. If the turn signal is off then only the light flashes. Otherwise, very pleased.

Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
I've seen BSM not work accurately in poor weather conditions so I always look, even if the BSM shows clear. I trust tech like this about as much as I trust everything I see on-line as being fact based ;)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have BSM on my Sahara and on my Fiat 124 Spider, which is built by Mazda. The BSM on my Jeep works perfectly; the BSM on my Spider is absolute crap: it lights up 90% of the time I’m driving, even when there’s no one there. The Spider has terrible blind spots with the top up, so I wish the thing was more reliable.

The only issue I have with BSM on the Jeep is that it disables itself the moment when I engage 4WD and the shaking starts on the trail. It is weird: it never disables itself at the exact same moment; sometimes disables itself right away; other times after half an hour or longer. So it’s hard to tell what prompts it to disengage: 4WD mode or the shaking. But it always comes back on after I disengage 4WD and restart the engine.

The Safety Group includes BSM, backup sensors and rear LEDs. IMO it is worth it as a package when you consider everything you get; I don’t know if just the BSM alone would be worth it.

JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
I'm curious is anyone with a 2 door JL regrets not getting the safety package? If I was getting a JLU, I wouldn't hesitate, but I'm set on getting a 2 door. On the short 2 door test drives I've done, I didn't really have any issues without it. I did enjoy having it on a JLU I rented for a weekend.
I would say yes - with the Blind Spot, you also get the LED taillights.

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
BSM is nice to have, but really if you adjust your mirrors this way, it removes most of your blind spots. When I'm sitting back in my seat, i don't see any part of the jeep in my mirror.

But i still recommend doing a shoulder check as good practice.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
i ordered mine without the BSM on purpose. i prefer a little less frills on the jeep. I added the little round mirrors.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Do I regret it? No. Do I find it useful? No, not very. Even so, I’d rather have it than not.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Blind spot monitoring is old technology and becoming standard on much lower priced vehicles. I've never had it but certainly driven vehicles with it. Wife has a GC with it. I did get it on my JLU and glad I now have the feature. Shame on FCA for it even being an option.

OP
OP
omenlabs

omenlabs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still working on my first Jeep
I have BSM on my Sahara and on my Fiat 124 Spider, which is built by Mazda. The BSM on my Jeep works perfectly; the BSM on my Spider is absolute crap: it lights up 90% of the time I’m driving, even when there’s no one there. The Spider has terrible blind spots with the top up, so I wish the thing was more reliable.
Did about 400 miles in my Miata ND this weekend. The big blind spot with the top up was definitely in the back of my mind when I asked this question. Glad to hear the Jeep system works well.

Ordered my JLR with blind spot monitoring (BSM).
Also installed the little round blind spot mirrors on both sides of the Jeep.

The BSM is a nice to have safety feature for the Hwy.
The little round mirrors also help on the Hwy and can help when wheeling.

Biggest advantage to the BSM is its ability to see motorcycles on the hwy.
Those small mirrors are cool. They seem like a nice add on, especially with plenty of space on the Jeep mirrors. Between my motorcycle and Miata I find it comforting when I see a BSM light in someone else's mirror.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be adding this option.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
If you adjust your mirrors correctly, you don't need blind spot nannies. On my JLU, both mirrors are adjusted all the way out. I can see cars in other lanes way behind me through the rearview. Cars behind but closer are in the side mirrors. And, just as the taillights of the car leave the side mirror, I can see with my eyes the hood of the car alongside my jeep.
Driving_Article_Infographic_Combined_1440x675.jpg

https://www.itstactical.com/wp-cont...ing_Article_Infographic_Combined_1440x675.jpg

TLDR - if you can see the side of your jeep in your side mirrors, adjust them out. You don't need to see your own vehicle!
Sponsored