Sponsored

Is anything water resistant/proof on the inside?

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Looking to go topless but the weather can change pretty quickly where I live. How does the interior hold up to water/rain? Mostly worried about the dashboard, touchscreen, speakers, etc
Sponsored

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looking to go topless but the weather can change pretty quickly where I live. How does the interior hold up to water/rain? Mostly worried about the dashboard, touchscreen, speakers, etc
I believe everything is “weather proof” or water resistant aka it can take a drizzle/light rain but no way can it handle a flood.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Should hold up to rain ok, but no “underwater “ type stuff. I’ve had no trouble with the infotainment system on my Harley, and it’s seen plenty of rain. I’d assume that it’s a similar sealed unit.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure it’s nice and all, but something inside me just wants to go in a corner and weep when I hear about an ‘infotainment system’ on a bike.
To be honest, if it had been an option on the tri- glide I wouldn’t have ordered it. I’ve only used the clock and occasionally the radio. Scared me to death the first time I got low on gas and it started giving me directions to a gas station without the unit even being on.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Is it possible Dan that you are viewing this problem from the wrong perspective?

What I mean to say by that is that unaware of which top you use, solutions like Bestop's Sunrider, in place of Freedom Panels may more than cost justify the damage to the rig's internals from water. It's extremely easy to put this top back on.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
My salesman said the seats are even covered in a quick-dry fabric. I'll probably find out before spring is over. :)

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
My JK was in several down pours over the years with the top off and one time had about 2 inches of water in the floorboard and I never had a problem with the standard radio or the speakers. Although when I went to trade it in, they couldn’t get the CD out of the radio!! I hope the new owner like Ben Folds!

thehaf

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited; 1995 Mitsubishi J-55 import
Occupation
Network Admin
Vehicle Showcase
iirc the JLs went through a 24-48 hour "weather" test where a sprinkler was ran over an open jeep for the duration. Everything held up without issue. I'll see if I can find the article I got that info from.

Sponsored

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Following this, was wondering the same after almost getting caught in a downpour out of nowhere yesterday!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The touchscreen will act a little squirrelly until you wipe it down. I think it somehow senses moisture in your fingertips to work normally, so raindrops can confuse it. Once you wipe it off, seems fine.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Light dusting of rain caused infotainment screen to stop accepting any touch for entire drive of 30 min after it stopped raining even after wiping it down at home in my garage. Came back an hour later and it worked.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Dan: suggestion...follow this principle.

A preexisting drop of water already in the cabin is about the only thing I can say for certain is water resistant/proof on the inside. Worse case scenario: it just combines with other water sources and grows.

This isn't to say that FCA hasn't tried to make the Wrangler interior more marine tolerant than other vehicles, or that people haven't reported practically taking the rig underwater with no long term damage, just that limited guarantees exist and YMMV.

Princess Fiona

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR (2.0T That's Right) , 2014 GMC Sierra
Occupation
Telcom Tech Support
Vehicle Showcase
Texas, June of 2020. Doors off, top off for a lovely after drive. Went into a store to P/U some items
heard the rain on the metal roof
.too late.

30 minutes or so have over 2 inches of rain in the floor. You can see the water dripping from the hanging floor mats.

Took Fiona home and totally undressed her
..loads of fun but not really that bad.

Only thing today is one of the under dash speakers is having a little ‘cracking’ when I turn it up.

Wet1.jpg

Wet2.jpg

Wet3.jpg

Wet4.jpg

IMG_0781.JPG
Sponsored