Sponsored

Is anyone having trouble with their radio?

Andie13

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2door Wrangler Sport
I've only had my 2018 Jeep for a few months but the radio is starting to act weird. Sometimes when I turn it on there's no sound and I have to turn it off and back on for it to work. Other times the volume seems to fade up and down ( I don't have the automatic audio change with speed option on.) Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing something?
Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Which stereo do you have? I have the 5" and it is always acting up. The clock cannot keep time (it is slow and has to be reset once a week), radio volume cannot be adjusted for the first 10 seconds after you start the Jeep, so if you leave the volume high when you shut it off, you will have the same volume that cannot be lowered for the first 10 seconds, radio does not come on, does not have sound, continues to play after the Jeep is shut off and I have exited the vehicle, not recognizing a "media device".

Every day is a new experience with the factory radio.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Which stereo do you have? I have the 5" and it is always acting up. The clock cannot keep time (it is slow and has to be reset once a week), radio volume cannot be adjusted for the first 10 seconds after you start the Jeep, so if you leave the volume high when you shut it off, you will have the same volume that cannot be lowered for the first 10 seconds, radio does not come on, does not have sound, continues to play after the Jeep is shut off and I have exited the vehicle, not recognizing a "media device".

Every day is a new experience with the factory radio.
If your 5" radio isn't keeping the correct time, it doesn't have the latest firmware installed. Updated firmware might fix your other issue too, except the startup delay, it will still have that.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

If your 5" radio isn't keeping the correct time, it doesn't have the latest firmware installed. Updated firmware might fix your other issue too, except the startup delay, it will still have that.
Ah, the dealership told me there was nothing wrong with it. I will check into the firmware update. Thanks!

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
There is no firmware update for the 5” radio. The clock problem is a known issue and was never resolved prior to them discontinuing the 5” in JLs.

@Andie13 your best bet is to find a 7” or 8.4” in the member marketplace and ditch the 5” junk.
Either of those will require the add-on sat/gps antenna and cable if you want Sirius or nav to function. Both are very easy installs with numerous write ups on this forum.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/audio-video-communications-electronics.131/

The 5” was unsupported from launch.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no firmware update for the 5” radio. The clock problem is a known issue and was never resolved prior to them discontinuing the 5” in JLs.

@Andie13 your best bet is to find a 7” or 8.4” in the member marketplace and ditch the 5” junk.
Either of those will require the add-on sat/gps antenna and cable if you want Sirius or nav to function. Both are very easy installs with numerous write ups on this forum.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/audio-video-communications-electronics.131/

The 5” was unsupported from launch.
There is a firmware update for the 5" and mine keeps accurate time. I've actually had it installed twice, the second time was after I swapped out my original for a 5" with SiriusXM. The upgrade files have to be on a USB and you upgrade from the USB.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a firmware update for the 5" and mine keeps accurate time. I've actually had it installed twice, the second time was after I swapped out my original for a 5" with SiriusXM. The upgrade files have to be on a USB and you upgrade from the USB.
Besides keeping accurate time, the latest firmware does a better job shuffling the songs it plays on a USB. Before the update, shuffling seemed to choose from a narrow selection and it would frequently play the same songs over again, now it's shuffling from a wider selection.

HelmsJeep

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2DR/Softop/Manual
Besides keeping accurate time, the latest firmware does a better job shuffling the songs it plays on a USB. Before the update, shuffling seemed to choose from a narrow selection and it would frequently play the same songs over again, now it's shuffling from a wider selection.
Can the firmware update be downloaded from anywhere? Mine’s jacked up

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
When was this released? As far as I’m aware you get updates through the Uconnect site or over the air.
I have a MY ‘18 Sport S, just plugged in my VIN and was shown “there is no update available” Not that it matters, I got rid of the 5” long ago.

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure when it was released, but it was posted/discussed at the time. It doesn't show up on the Uconnect site. Here's the write up dated 3/5/21.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is anyone having trouble with their radio? radio firmware upgrade

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
The basic radio is junk. I’m just waiting for a cheap upgrade option to come to market.

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
Look. We found the only person with a working 5 inch radio. Congrats.

the radio is straight trash. FCA finally admitted it too, sucks for me that they didn’t realize it in my model year.

if Jeep really cared they would warranty out all the 5 inch radios with their issues for a radio that actually works.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look. We found the only person with a working 5 inch radio. Congrats.

the radio is straight trash. FCA finally admitted it too, sucks for me that they didn’t realize it in my model year.

if Jeep really cared they would warranty out all the 5 inch radios with their issues for a radio that actually works.
There's at least 2 of us with a working 5 inch radio and I have 3 working 5 inch radios.
Sponsored