Sponsored

Is AEV generally considered best of breed quality?

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I was just bit by the wrangler bug a few weeks ago (always wanted one, but recently went into an acute case of “I NEED IT NOW”). A buddy of mine bought a 2015 fully kitted out with the AEV350 package and it’s just a BAD ASS jeep from all aspects.

So -I went out and ordered my JLUR just 2 days ago (10/30/2018) and now I’m in D1 status..... and deep into newbie land here trying to figure out if there’s anything else I should look into.

AEV seems to be premium products (albeit at a premium price) and to me, they look beautiful too.

So, I humbly ask you experts - are AEV products considered top notch? Or are they middle of the road? Should I be looking at other products (Bumpers, wheels, etc.)?

I think I know the first question: Are you going just for looks, are you going to actually use your Rubicon for what it was designed for.

My answer: I want both, a badass looking jeep (I’m all about going without bling/chrome, etc.) and my buddy and I are going to start wheeling as soon as mine arrives.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ezun

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase

Hold24

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 392
I agree with the last two posts. Ive had there equipment on my jk's over the years. I have a hard time buying anything else..

MEGAS

First Name
Megas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
AEV is the top for fit, function, durability and looks. They put more design time into their products so that you aren't sacrificing anything when you install their product. It improves on your vehicle and their stuff is designed for true overlanding where you are not close to any shop to fix the failure of a lesser product. I look at all the new SEMA product and I'm pretty sure that AEV was the only company to fix the rear licence plate issue by incorporating it into their product instead of just tacking it onto the spare. They were not the first to market with product due to all the testing and refinement but in my opinion they showed up with the best.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ezun

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all! I’m going to leave the thread running to see any other thoughts, but you’ve confirmed my initial impression.

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
excellent customer service too. i had 2 Pintler wheels develop cracks on my JK. there was a bad batch a few years ago. they replaced all 5 of my wheels at no charge. they stand behind their products.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
AEV does engineer and produce some nice products. Are they the best of the best. Honestly, that's purely subjective and wholly depends on who you talk to and the type of off roading the that is being done with their products.

AEV has traditionally carved out their niche in overland travel. If this is primarily looking for, you can't really go wrong. Understand however, there are companies out there that operate in this arena that make products that are as good or better (again subjective) than the offerings from AEV.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 2" spacer lift on my Jk that has been there for about 60k miles and countless off road trips. It has performed flawlessly. My humble opinion is that AEV is one of the top aftermarket outfitters in the marketplace. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
As a person who's owned AEV... AEV was king, a decade ago. However, they have failed to keep up with other modern vendors who have superior solutions now and as a company they lack agility... you see that in their inability to come to market with JL products.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ezun

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
As a person who's owned AEV... AEV was king, a decade ago. However, they have failed to keep up with other modern vendors who have superior solutions now and as a company they lack agility... you see that in their inability to come to market with JL products.
Interesting... what vendors would you list with superior solutions? I’d love to look at them. My primary things right now are bumpers, but I’m sure I’m going to want a lot more over the coming months.

Thanks for your help!

porkchop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR / Billet / Teraflex ST2 / Icon Shocks
AEV had plenty of new JL products at the SEMA show recently.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think they were any quicker when the JK came out.

Lacked agility? That company is bigger and has higher value than ever. They've grown tremendously. They offer a range of products way beyond Jeep accessories. They were hugely successful with conversions, including engines and the Brute and have expanded into pickup trucks. The Chevy Bison is a HUGE deal for them, turning AEV into an OEM supplier with their own name on the parts/models. Thier logo is sewn into the seats on the Bison, from the factory, and their parts for the truck can be ordered with the truck as a factory option. Not sure how a company can grow like that and be accused of lacking agility. I'd take their success any day, especially as an investor.

Prediction: When their JL stuff comes out, they'll be among the best sellers, right out of the gate.

OP
OP
Ezun

Ezun

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Vehicle Showcase
I certainly love the looks and quality of their products. The make the best looking bumpers in the industry (I know that’s a very personal thing).

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
AEV is a top shelf brand, both the aesthetics and quality show it.

They had JLs at the SEMA show with their new JL products on them, unfortunately they won't have product ready to ship until Spring 2019.

AEV-3.jpg

Here is the "shorty" version of their JL bumper

aev-1.jpg

The full width version

aev-2.jpg

The rear JL bumper is similar to the AEV JK rear bumper in looks. The swing away part looks to be the exact same as the JK.
Sponsored