Sponsored

Is a Wrangler really what I'm looking for?

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3, Wrangler Rubicon TJ
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
So it seems like a Wrangler is the vehicle for me. More specifically, it looks like an 03/04 TJ.

They're in my price range and a nice one can be had for about 12k. Checked with USAA and, amazingly, are willing to finance me up to $18,750 at $402/mo for 60mo.

I don't need that much, so I figure if I find the right one, I'll only need $15k at most. Figure find one around $13k and offer them $12k out the door with check in hand and bam. Done son.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
take it from me... ditch the bmw and the sports cars, get the jeep. Here is my story starts 40 years ago, I am an engineering geologist I got out of school and was driving my school car a 68 ford fairline fast back 500. The thing had a big enough trunck so mafia hit men loved it. Seriously you could easily sleep back there. But being young and naive about about cars I assumed I need a truck so I brought a datsun king cab ( thatis what nissans were called then) with wide tires. Wide tires can go anywhere right? Uh nope, I spent several days on differing occaisons stuck in the mud, tire fell through a hole in a wooden bridge on a creek crossing, buried in sand etc. I learned the hard way what an open diffenetial means I also later learned that the old toyota trucks had 4x4 with open diffs on both ends ( so really more like a 2x2) but that is a story for another day . Finally after loosing enough work to make it hurt, my cheap boss would pay not me if I got stuck on his time). I bought a jeep cj7 golden eagle. I loved that thing so much I had dreams about it. back then girls loved it too. Still do I think. Anyway that was the end of my stuck days except for the toyotas and thebegining of my jeep days. I often had 2 work cars a sports car 2 vettes and a 94 vioer named obsidian, but if it came down to just 1 vehicle. it was always a jeep. Call me biased, but i find it hard to take another geologist seriously if they show up to a drilling site grading or pretty much any other site I work at in a street car, nice though they may be. If you are studying engineering geology then you may have seen me I was on the opening show of the season1998 called Thunder on the Mountain on the discovery channel. it was about landslides and avalanches. That is my old cj7 golden eagle and my current jku rubicon.

jeep golden eagle5.jpg

jp-2.jpg

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
The advice that I would give to my kids (I have one in his 4th year of college and another who graduated 3 years ago) is to finish school first. Buy 4 winter tires on steel wheels from Tire Rack. Way cheaper to make repairs on your current car than to buy (or finance) a new JL.

Sponsored

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
If the other side of your blue baby looks as good, keep it. Expensive to store, maintain and insure but it's a classic that will only go up in value. I wish I still had my first love. Keep it and go buy the cheapest new 2 dr Wrangler you can find.

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
Hi folks - first post here. :)

I'm also a commuting student to a residential University who will never close despite the weather and work as a Library Assistant at another college who favors 2hr delays over closings
Dude, I live in Athens and used to live in Parkersburg. You see how many Wranglers drive around here, and there's a reason for it.

(I also worked at both OU and WVU/P so I feel you on the delay over closing thing!)

OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
Dude, I live in Athens and used to live in Parkersburg. You see how many Wranglers drive around here, and there's a reason for it.

(I also worked at both OU and WVU/P so I feel you on the delay over closing thing!)
You're quite right - since I've started looking for one, I'm seeing them everywhere. I was just making sure it was a vehicle that would fit my needs and not be a status symbol (looking at you 4-door Wranglers... lol).

Reactions: CRC
OP
OP

CybrSlydr

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oil and Gas Admin
Back from the dead!

So, I ended up getting a Wrangler! Not a JL, but a 2006 Rubicon.

20180312_164526-jpg.jpg

Found it in Dallas, TX. So Monday morning, my brother and I flew out from Pittsburgh Intl and then spent the next day and a half driving it 1100mi home to Ohio.

Stopping for dinner.

20180312_202616-jpg.jpg

At the Wrangler's natural environment - a gas station!

20180313_080629_1520948716043-jpg.jpg

Crossing the Mighty Mississippi going into Memphis.

20180313_095011-jpg.jpg

20180313_094944-jpg.jpg

Another fillup in TN.

20180313_140117-jpg.jpg

Kentucky Welcome Center.

20180313_142224-jpg.jpg

Sitting in the driveway at home after the 1100+ mile journey.

20180313_231113-jpg.jpg

I was lucky that my brother was on Spring Break this week so we could both go. I don't think I'd have made it back in a day and a half if I was by myself. I've done it before, but this time was just... longer for some reason. lol

Jeep performed admirably - seats are ridiculously comfortable. I'd say we avg'd 16MPG - got REALLY windy for the second half of the trip. Big difference in fuel consumption between 65mph and 75!

Just thought you folks would enjoy a little closure to this saga - thanks for your help!