First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
retired
Not sure how warm or cold a hard top is, but I can tell you that our soft top is plenty warm. Heat was set for 62 and we weren't cold with today's high of 34. I know I will hear from some of you northerner's that 34 isn't cold so bring it on, I can take it :). For those of you in the real cold.....how has your soft top worked out. We are contemplating a move to Maine in a few years to be back with family but most people there run hard tops.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Didn't notice any temperature differences between hard and soft top. The only difference is in the wind noise which is slightly more with soft top.

Sponsored

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
I had 2 Jeeps with the premium soft top and 2 with hard top and can't say I noticed any dramatic difference between either during the cold winter months. Perhaps because of the remote start and heated seats.....:clap:

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Jeep has come a long way improving the creature comforts of the modern Wrangler.The soft top is no exception.But when time,and the wear and tear of everyday use are factored in.The soft-top can not compete.Short term when everything is optimal...yes.Long term ....no.The ease of the open air experience the soft-top provides does come at a cost. If you live in a warm climate,can afford both,or only play with your Jeep ....that's a different story. I have known folks who drove daily and didn't even own a top, but they are about as rare as the people who ride a motorcycle year round.

Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
IMO heat retention is whats important and the hard top will do a better job at that.

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
I notice a *slight* difference in my TJ with the soft top vs hard top in colder weather. The BIGGEST challenge, though, is cleaning the rear window. Can't scrap it, and it can't be defrosted/use the wiper (of course).

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
We ordered my wife's JLU with the dual top group, which comes with the upgraded twill top. I'd wager it's as quiet on the road as the hard top (possibly quieter), and probably retains the heat better because of the built-in headliner vs. the hard top. However, we do put the hard top on for winter, because of the potential weight of wet snow on the top.

My JL has just a base soft top, and it's been fine through three NJ winters (I know, not stupid cold, but cold enough). There are three bows in the top so it stays stiff, even with snow weight on it. I try to keep the rear windows wiped down with Plexus after riding through slushy/salted roads, but it's definitely not as clear as when it was new. The side windows are still looking good though.