First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Hi guys, new to this forum and new to wranglers in general. My wife after 10 years has finally been medically cleared to get her license again (heart issues) and I want to get her the dream vehicle she’s always wanted, a wrangler.

For her, I know she’ll be happy with any model, just for the fact she can finally drive again and own one of those is more then enough for her. But I rather go all out and get her a loaded up model.

The debate comes down to a Sahara or a rubicon. I’m in Bc Canada, it seems most used Sahara’s are low to mid 50’s where the rubicon’s are almost all in the $60k+ range. Is the Rubicon worth the $8-$10k price hike?

The jeep will generally spend a lot of time on the pavement for the day to day errands, but here in BC, we do have a ton of trails out here and it’s definitely something we want to start exploring. How much we can only speculate at this point but it won’t be anything too extreme.

I haven’t gotten a chance to drive a rubicon yet but I have tried a couple Sahara’s and she loves the way they drive.

Any insights will be helpful. Hopefully in the next few weeks, we’ll have one in our driveway. The only thing holding us right now is waiting for the insurance company to process the medical clearance paperwork and we are home free

UPDATE!!

She found her perfect jeep, fell in love with it instantly. Beautiful ocean blue metallic Sahara with the sky slider roof. She’s absolutely in love, she gets her license on Monday but she couldn’t pass up on this. First thing on her to do list is replace the steps with some rubicon sliders, next will be likely some rubicon wheels and tires. Either they or something custom but for now she’s in love! Thanks again everyone for the help and input that led me to finding her dream jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? FA70B7CC-F794-464A-BF41-84F986D81B7D
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 7B9757DA-583B-47D0-B740-4DA463F60D7F
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 3558F9BF-2D56-4C52-A183-4A64D3E65369
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 5DFE6896-9A45-4BCC-B029-F3825527802E
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? E7BB200E-34F7-4A56-B4D3-77801403D01A
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 8C4F0C3E-73A2-4623-A9BE-99B0003C27D8
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 5C6C63EC-940F-4359-9C35-ED5B8D57EE72
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 0D227197-7061-445C-A9F6-DDAE2FD898B6
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 3D43BC46-9373-4125-8266-BE0ACDBA729C
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 73FE8321-E171-4D5B-85CB-D38D21EB2D14
Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 091EC00E-2966-4806-AE5F-E2635FDB314D

Update May 2022:

New fuel rims were delivered today, picking up some take off Falken wildpeak at3w from a local jeep gladiator owner and should have those one this week. I also got some take off rubicon springs and shocks that will be going on soon as well.
11B9D4F9-473B-4763-A575-51C443B8CFE3.jpeg

Installed:
DDE7641E-D296-42FE-97B9-3D16252E8D3B.jpeg
83B34C91-E027-4C17-B0B5-1561DFF00CC3.jpeg
0CB20B3E-67BB-45A4-AA76-A2F499F84AFA.jpeg
8A9D3374-80B4-4A00-A2C9-7DFC85ECA777.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
Rubicon is only worth it if you'd be doing those mods anyway--if you'd be changing out the axles, gears, putting in lockers...those are expensive mods. If you wouldn't be doing that stuff, maybe just a lift and larger tires, bumpers..., then you'll be happier with other trims.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Rubi will have stiffer suspension/taller, lockers in rear and front, auto sway bar disconnect, taller fender flares, larger spare tire carrier, 33" tires on 17" wheels, Dana 44 front and rear axles, larger gear ratio.......and a red dash! (except if you get tan leather seats- then it's a gray dash).

Sahara is marketed as a classy-urban Wrangler- still a great Jeep, but not as many hard-core features. It comes with 18" wheels instead of 17" for one....others can chime in here.

I would look at model comparisons on the Jeep website for some details- but the Rubi details listed here are the main advantages. If added later to a Sahara or Sport models, the cost could be twice of what the difference is in stock.

TallDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR-XR
Yes. It’s worth the price hike, 100%

What you need to figure out is if it’s worth it to you. Only you can determine that.

Objectively speaking the difference in equipment is absolutely worth the price over another model.

Go drive them back to back if you can.

Research the features and compare what it is you want versus need and where your budget falls.

Sponsored

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Rubicon because I simply don't have the time nor equipment to do upgrades myself nor the time to invest in leaving my Wrangler with a shop for upgrades. It's my daily driver but I do enjoy taking it off-road whenever I can, so I wanted to be able to do that right off of the lot.

I have no desire to lift it but might want larger tires. The Rubi comes lifted when compared to a Sahara and can support 35" tires without a lift (albeit with some rubbing if you're truly hitting the rocks). So, it was ideal for me. I just added a winch because I often hit the trails without other rigs and want to be able to pull myself out (of most situations) if I get stuck. The winch just gives me a little extra confidence to try things I might have otherwise avoided.

OP
OP
1BadManVan

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
I’ve got most of the specs memorized that way lol, obviously real world experience from others is very valuable. The specs definitely sound impressive on paper. Unfortunately being new to the wrangler world, I don’t know yet how often we will utilize the capabilities yet. I hope we do and gets us out the door more with the kids.

10 years ago, we had a Jeep Liberty and we loved to take it up some old logging roads and off the beaten path, just very limited to how far we could go obviously lol, only thing we did was put on some larger all terrain tires.

I know for sure the first thing I would want to do on the Sahara is get rid of the stock street tires and get some larger ones. My apprehension there is I know it has a weaker front axle compared to the rubicon, plus taller gearing.

Im personally leaning more towards the rubicon because I don’t see us doing any extreme builds in the future and this model is atleast well equipped to take it out on the trail right off lot.

My apprehension on that is obviously the price, almost $70k after taxes for a used one is way up there lol. And the comfort as a daily driver vs a sahara. You’re saying it’s a bit stiffer suspension, obviously the more aggressive tire on it them also play a factor, but I would be adding that to the sahara anyways.

OP
OP
1BadManVan

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Congrats on your better half being able to drive again!

Can always make the Rubicon cheaper by going with a 2 door.
We have 3 kids, 4 door is a must. We have my 3 row Durango as well, so while the jeep won’t be the main family hauler, she will be taking the kids out and about when im working

OP
OP
1BadManVan

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
I went with the Rubicon because I simply don't have the time nor equipment to do upgrades myself nor the time to invest in leaving my Wrangler with a shop for upgrades. It's my daily driver but I do enjoy taking it off-road whenever I can, so I wanted to be able to do that right off of the lot.

I have no desire to lift it but might want larger tires. The Rubi comes lifted when compared to a Sahara and can support 35" tires without a lift (albeit with some rubbing if you're truly hitting the rocks). So, it was ideal for me. I just added a winch because I often hit the trails without other rigs and want to be able to pull myself out (of most situations) if I get stuck. The winch just gives me a little extra confidence to try things I might have otherwise avoided.
Exactly my thinking when it comes to the Rubicon. And I’m in the same boat when it comes to the time or ability to build up a jeep myself. It would definitely be a shop doing the work which gets expensive quick

Sholmberg0311

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Occupation
Adult baby sitter
At the end of the day like others have said "is it worth it for you" . I traded my 18 Sahara for a 21 JLUR because everything I wanted to do to the Sahara I am now in Rubicon territory, so it made sense for me to purchase a Rubicon. Plus the Rubicon is just bad ass right off the lot. Just my 2 cents. Good luck .

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Sounds like for your use a Sahara would be fine. I have a Sport and it can go anywhere I want it to. Rubi's are awesome, but you don't need one for most trails.

OP
OP
1BadManVan

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
At the end of the day like others have said "is it worth it for you" . I traded my 18 Sahara for a 21 JLUR because everything I wanted to do to the Sahara I am now in Rubicon territory, so it made sense for me to purchase a Rubicon. Plus the Rubicon is just bad ass right off the lot. Just my 2 cents. Good luck .
Appreciate the input. It’s the struggle of figuring out what is right for us having never owned one and you don’t exactly have a 90 day return policy on them lol. Besides a few short test drives, I’m putting my trust in the very large wrangler cummunity.

But the general consensus is, if you’re not planning to build one up yourself and still want to off road, then get a rubicon. If you plan to do your own mods and build it yourself then just get the sahara or sport

SoCal JLUS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Clubs

Chiming in as a Sahara owner. IMO, if you do not plan on hardcore rock crawling, a Sahara with Rubi takeoffs (wheels and tires) go a long way in making the Jeep look more aggressive. I have switched out both front and rear bumpers (Would have done it even with the Rubicon) for steel and have gone on many fun yet moderate trails. No desire to go extreme rock crawling. While I sometimes wonder what lockers feel like, I am very happy with my Sahara and my adventures. Not sure why a Sahara is sometimes looked down upon by some (in other threads), but it is very capable. The drive on the road is also great! Just my opinion.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 20211002_112233~2

Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 20211123_155004

Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 20220117_114121

Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? IMG_4117.JPG

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate the input. It’s the struggle of figuring out what is right for us having never owned one and you don’t exactly have a 90 day return policy on them lol. Besides a few short test drives, I’m putting my trust in the very large wrangler cummunity.

But the general consensus is, if you’re not planning to build one up yourself and still want to off road, then get a rubicon. If you plan to do your own mods and build it yourself then just get the sahara or sport
Another thing to keep in mind is what type of off-roading you want to use it for. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me with, "It's my daily driver, it has to make it back home," and will avoid anything risky.

With that said, a Sahara is still a very capable ORV. I did a Jeep Adventure Academy last year in Llano, TX with two stock Sports in the crowd and there was only one obstacle they had to use the bypass for. And that was climbing out of this creek; they just didn't have the clearance for it. Everything else, they breezed right through with the MOABs, Saharas, and Rubis.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is a Rubicon worth the price hike? 1644272531072
Sponsored