Sponsored

Is a Mopar Extended Warranty on a 4xe a Good Investment?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xE
If you think about it we are putting 1/2 the miles plus on the gas engine than most Jeep owners.
What am I missing?
Sponsored

Getmadboy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
If you think about it we are putting 1/2 the miles plus on the gas engine than most Jeep owners.
What am I missing?
It depends on the actual usage of your 4xe. I plan on taking road trips in mine so I’ll use the gas engine a lot more than someone who never takes it on long trips and only uses it around the city

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
It can be good for all the non powertrain items. Even regular powertrain I think is 5 years.

But I was just thinking, is the climate control system covered under the battery warranty since it's critical to the hybrid functions? If so we'd get 8 or 10 depending on state.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
It can be good for all the non powertrain items. Even regular powertrain I think is 5 years.

But I was just thinking, is the climate control system covered under the battery warranty since it's critical to the hybrid functions? If so we'd get 8 or 10 depending on state.
Wouldn't they just deny a battery claim because you did not fix your a/c system?

I am on the fence of getting the extended warranty but I am interested what kind of logic jeep would be taking.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I got a better deal on my 4xe than originally anticipated, and the plan is to keep it for at least 10 years, so I went ahead and got the 8 year 100K Mopar warranty. I used this forum to negotiate the pricing with the dealer.

Sponsored

pyrowolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe Sahara
I used this forum to negotiate the pricing with the dealer.
I so wish I'd found this forum before I bought mine for exactly this reason.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Understand, extended warranties (or insurance of any kind) are money loosing propositions by nature, as the company offering them has to make money on them to cover costs, salaries, make profit etc... or they would not stay in business. So by definition, in general, they have to be money loosing propositions to the consumer.

That does not mean they are bad, just that you need to realize that. (and some have much larger profit margins then others) I always say if you can afford whatever the coverage is for by yourself then NEVER get them. However if the cost would be more then you could afford then research costs (shop around) and get the best deal.

For instance I can afford to get a new $1000 TV if my TV breaks, so I am not going to pay $20/month for a Best Buy extended warranty just in case it might break. But I have fire insurance for my home, at a couple hundred a year, as the cost of rebuilding my house, rental etc... would be hundreds of thousands, far more then I can afford. So make your decisions appropriately.

Me, I told them when buying my 4xe, "Don't even mention warranties, I will not get one." The lady ignored me and still tried to sell me one. I had to get the manager to stop her!

FLJeep1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
Good post above. Great logic.

You have to remember, the things that make the 4xe have a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. The rest of the Jeep is very similar to the other Wranglers.

The trans and starter are different.

So, with a 60,000 powertrain warranty, you go from there. How long are you going to own it? You can always add the warranty at 59,000 miles.

The rest of the electronics, ac, cooling system, etc are what you try and map out with a warranty.

At some point, a long term warranty becomes a pre paid maintenance plan.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Me, I told them when buying my 4xe, "Don't even mention warranties, I will not get one." The lady ignored me and still tried to sell me one. I had to get the manager to stop her!
What irritated me was the finance manager tried to tell me that if I "touched" anything on my Jeep the entire warranty was void. I have had other finance managers imply I needed a service plan to keep my warranty intact but they always backed down when I called them on it. Pisses me off when they just strait up lie to try and sell a product. Needless to say I did not buy it.

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
I plan to get a warranty (I am going to shop prices first) since the 4XE is new and I am sure it will have problems.

My 2014 Ram Sport has the lifetime warranty on it. They have put about $25k in parts/labor into it. Now they are starting to deny claims based on wear and tear (which is BS).

My 2018 Durango GT has the lifetime warranty on it. They replaced the radio for delaminating. That was about $3k.

Sponsored

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
I got an extended warranty. For 1k, it was worth to me as an insurance policy since this is first year model. I get both points of the debate since I never had one for my 4runner.
If you believe that you will not use the warranty but still want it just in case I recommend to get the one that is fully refundable if not used. Be aware that it is a bit more expensive. Cheers!

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...But I was just thinking, is the climate control system covered under the battery warranty since it's critical to the hybrid functions?...
That's how H_____i used to (still does?) do it. At under 10,000 miles and less than 1yr old, the H_____i owned by a customer's friend had a thermostat failure causing the engine to overheat and seize in short order on the highway. The $10 thermostat was covered but not the $10,000 (or whatever) for the engine because they argued the engine itself was not defective and was simply damaged by "something outside of the powertrain" (WHAT?) and damage isn't warranted. I didn't believe it until he showed us the docs he had for filing suit. I've had many Jeeps and some minor warranty work over the years but never heard of Jeep making a "stretch" like that.

Silvertoy

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Understand, extended warranties (or insurance of any kind) are money loosing propositions by nature, as the company offering them has to make money on them to cover costs, salaries, make profit etc... or they would not stay in business. So by definition, in general, they have to be money loosing propositions to the consumer.

That does not mean they are bad, just that you need to realize that. (and some have much larger profit margins then others) I always say if you can afford whatever the coverage is for by yourself then NEVER get them. However if the cost would be more then you could afford then research costs (shop around) and get the best deal.

For instance I can afford to get a new $1000 TV if my TV breaks, so I am not going to pay $20/month for a Best Buy extended warranty just in case it might break. But I have fire insurance for my home, at a couple hundred a year, as the cost of rebuilding my house, rental etc... would be hundreds of thousands, far more then I can afford. So make your decisions appropriately.

You may honestly be best served by taking the money you would have spent on an extended warranty, and placing it into a bank account just set aside for this purpose. If those that offered extended warranties anticipated that they could potentially lose money in the exchange, there wouldn't be extended warranties..

West1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
But the extended warranty includes more than just the power train (at least the top end warranty does). It covers the screens and electrical components. I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time so it might make sense for me. However, I agree with Silvertoy in the post above, you might come out just as good by putting the amount of the warranty in the bank.

However, if I had purchased an extended warranty on my current Wrangler it would have saved me a ton of money. Like any insurance product you may need it or you may not. It is a gamble either way.
Sponsored