Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
If I read the words “buttery smooth” again, I think I will gouge my eyes out with blunt sticks…🤣
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it certainly isn't your father's Crown Victoria, but I find the Wrangler perfectly acceptible as a daily driver. My Wrangler isn't my only vehicle, as I also have a '20 Ford Ranger. But, I find myself jumping in the Jeep to run an errand for the CEO of my humble empire. Heck, she even like riding in the Jeep as much as I do, and she has a Mustang of her own.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I did not find my 2020 JLUR with updated steering box to be "acceptable" for daily driving. Everyone has different levels of tolerance for what is "ok".

Undesirable gas mileage combined with vague steering is not conducive for daily driving.

However, it was definitely cool while I had it.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
I use my '18 JLU Sport S 3.6 as a daily driver and as a long distance trip vehicle. I like the way it functions as both. I traded in a '13 Dodge Durango for the Wrangler because I missed having a 4-wheel drive and because the of the JL improvements. I liked the Durango, but the Wrangler is more fun. I've kept the original radial tires for the highway driving and ride quality. There is wind noise at speed, but it's not overly obnoxious. In my opinion, it's a great daily driver.

Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
JLU is my daily driver with 2” spacer lift, 35” MT tires, and 17” wheels. With all the aftermarket stuffthe weight has gone up to 4800 lbs. I drive at 60 mph on the freeway during the commute. I have the V6 automatic and it is sufficient when I need to pass another vehicle.

The noise, floaty steering, lateral g-forces, doesn’t bother me at all. But the JL makes my plain Jane V6 Toyota Highlander (minivan in a 4 door disguise) feel like a BMW grand touring sedan in comparison.

JLU satisfies my lizard brain. Highlander satisfies my rational mind and is easieron the wallet.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Look, I'm just gonna be honest: I love my JLU, but my "commute" is literally 10 blocks in a small town.

If you say you're driving 50ish minutes on the daily (at least), I would strongly recommend against a wrangler. Go with a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee if you want to stay Jeep, but I just wouldn't recommend in good faith a JLU as a daily driver for someone who is doing more than a dozen miles each way.

The hardtop is not noisy, per say, but moreso than a typical SUV without a doubt. The steering is fine in my opinion, but if you've never really owned a wrangler you want to make sure you do an extended test drive. But the biggest thing for a longer commute is the seats. They're just not up to snuff for longer sessions.

All my opinion. Take it or leave it, but keep in mind what forum you're on and generally who will be responding to you.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Even if I had a longer commute (currently about 45 miles round trip), I would still take my Wrangler any day over a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. These are very different types of vehicles.

Maybe I'm weird but I like driving my Jeep. It drives better than my last JK and a hell of a lot better than the CJ5 I had in college. :LOL:

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
70 mile (round trip) per day commute. 60/40 Highway/City. Nice commute, rides just fine. 2020 JLUR almost 39k miles. No issues.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
My take: the JL's been one of the best daily drivers i've own, especially the 2DR. It's short and nimble, its handling is pretty impressive for what it is, it goes everywhere and anywhere (especially if you live in a snowy region during the winter, like mine) and the consumption is pretty good for a V6 (I got the Pentastar).

Now, is it the best daily driver out there? Surely not. There are sweet SUVs out there that are going to make point A-point B-back to point A for a fraction of the price, with way better mileage and for very good resale value.

If road noise is a deal breaker for you, forget about the Wrangler. Even with a hard top. It's noisy, you'll hear wind buffeting and you'll not like it. If a cushy feeling on the road is also what you're looking for, the Wrangler ain't for you. I mean, you have to understand what you're getting yourself into: it's a convertible 4X4, body-on-frame off-roader and that's why it's been designed.

Now, if gas mileage, resale value and comfort is what you're aiming for, especially if you're not going off-road, Subies, Mazdas and Toyotas are probably what you should look for.

Let's take an hybrid Rav4, for example. I'm not talking about the plug-in one, you'd have to wait for 15 to 18 months. I'm talking about the well-tested hybrid system from Toyota. You'd save gas money from day 1, you could expect incredible resale value, you have AWD and it's a pretty comfortable ride. Plus, it's one of the most reliable vehicle you can buy, all categories in. That's a winner and a very safe bet. If you need something a tad bigger, you could also have a look at the hybrid Venza or the hybrid Highlander.

Fun? No. Not at all. It's boring as f***. But from what I read, fun doesn't seem to be at the top of your priority list (I might be wrong). Note: don't expect deals from Toyota: they'll sell the car to somebody else if you don't buy it to the asked price, simple as that. So be prepared.

What about a Mazda CX-5? It's a bullet-proof engine that tops the reliability list, with a simple 6-speed automatic transmission. Handling is superb and it can be a fun drive if you grab the turbo one. The actual model is outgoing pretty soon so you could fetch a pretty good deal on one of these (and with the actual market that's totally bonkers, grabbing an end of the line model might be a good idea if you're aiming for a deal).

Last but not least, a Subie Forester. You got symmetrical AWD, it's roomy as f*** and you get pretty good gas mileage for such a large vehicle. I might be wrong, but the actual Forester is getting a tad older. So again, you might get a good deal on one of these if you play your cards right.

That'd be my first three picks considering what seems to be your priorities.

Deals on Wranglers? HAHAHAHA!...You can foh'get'about'it, man...You'll have none. Zero. Nothing. Nada. BUT. If you get one, remember the resale value will remain high as f*** for a loooooooong time. The first Wrangler's always the toughest on your wallet. Then, you'll have a laugh in 5-6 years when you'll trade it for a new one and see it's still worth 70-75% of its original price or so.

Have a good shopping spree!

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Since I haven’t noticed it on this thread, when you test drive remember that the dealership has the tires rock hard ( mine were at 47 lbs)

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
It's the high point of my day, driving it to work and then driving it home :).
The only times I would describe driving to work as the high point of my day driving was when me ex still lived with me. Good times indeed.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So I’m in the market for a new SUV. I’ve had grand Cherokee’s growing up when I was in my teens, and then owning a couple of Toyotas, so I’ve had my fair share of vehicles but never owned a wrangler!!!

I’m looking for a new SUV. How are the new four-door wrangler JL‘s with a simple V6 automatic? Are they a good daily driver? I’m not worried about miles per gallon but I just moved so I’m father away from work which is about 50 to 55 minutes each way. So I do a lot of daily driving on the highway all the time. How is the JL wrangler for a daily driver? I know it’s not gonna be buttery smooth but to anyone that does like 70% Highway 30% in the woods, how do you like your vehicle?

Is the road noise that bothered some with the hardtop? Is there anything else I should look for when buying one? Probably just looking at a simple sport S cause dont really wanna spend 50k right now haha. Thanks guys
I drove my Jeep back and forth to work 25 miles on the highway each way as an option to my SS Camaro. I think it's a terrible DD, especially on the highway. The only reason you'd put up with the rough ride, high noise level and yellow school bus handling, is because it can do some incredible off-road things. We bend over backward to put up with all the crappy stuff about a jeep because it does things other vehicles can't do. If you aren't planning on really taking advantage of those niche characteristics, you'll likely hate it in a short amount of time. I think you'll be much happier in something like a 4Runner or a well kept FJ Cruiser.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I understand where you’re coming from. What I really meant to say is I don’t mind spending money on gas but I’m not looking for a vehicle that’s 10 miles per gallon lol. And I’ve been seeing that wrangler stock get between 16 and 20 which I’m already getting 15mpg in my truck now so it wouldn’t be much difference. I was thinking about getting a cheap car for a daily driver but I don’t know if I can justify myself being happy and a small car when im a bigger guy lmao
Closer to that first number, for a Rubicon anyway.
Sponsored