Is a JL wrangler a good daily driver???

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
My last did was a Tesla Model 3….that thing was awesome (insanely fast, sports car handling, reasonably quiet)….not so good at rock crawling however 😳😳. Love my Jeep.
Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
So I’m in the market for a new SUV. I’ve had grand Cherokee’s growing up when I was in my teens, and then owning a couple of Toyotas, so I’ve had my fair share of vehicles but never owned a wrangler!!!

I’m looking for a new SUV. How are the new four-door wrangler JL‘s with a simple V6 automatic? Are they a good daily driver? I’m not worried about miles per gallon but I just moved so I’m father away from work which is about 50 to 55 minutes each way. So I do a lot of daily driving on the highway all the time. How is the JL wrangler for a daily driver? I know it’s not gonna be buttery smooth but to anyone that does like 70% Highway 30% in the woods, how do you like your vehicle?

Is the road noise that bothered some with the hardtop? Is there anything else I should look for when buying one? Probably just looking at a simple sport S cause dont really wanna spend 50k right now haha. Thanks guys
You've gotten a ton of replies that I didn't read through so sorry if this is redundant. Honestly, I love mine! My last two cars were a Mazdaspeed3 and a WRX for my 55 mile one way commute. I loved them, but honestly I love the Jeep more! I have a Sport Altitude which would drive like a Sahara (has Sahara suspension and 18" All Terrain tires) and no real issues. The soft top is definitely noisier but when I have the Hard Top on (that came with the headliner) it really isn't that loud.

Seats are comfortable and the Heated Seats and Steering wheel are really nice in the winter. Plus, being able to pop the freedom panels off after a long day is great! When it's super windy it can take some wrestling to keep it straight, but it's not anything you wouldn't expect driving a solid axle brick.

I have a 6MT with the V6 and it's surprisingly peppy. Enough I don't miss the turbo from the WRX. The 8AT is probably even easier for a daily driver. Highway I can cruise at 80 without issue, but if I keep it reasonable (~10 above Speed Limit) I'm getting about 22MPG.

You should test drive one and take it for a good ride. Even renting one from Avis would be worth it for a day to try out the drive and make sure you're happy with it!

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Your use model is almost exactly (within a few minutes of my daily drive) what I do. I have about 10 miles of rural 2-lane, 30 miles of interstate, and then 5 miles or so of city, all with mixed traffic from bumper to bumper to open 75 mph stretches. My JLURD (on 35s and lifted 2.5 inches) does great.

Now what is my point of comparison? I also have, and regularly drive (including to commute), a 2003 Ram 2500 Cummins, I traded in a VW Atlas on the JL, and my wife drives a 2020 Mercedes GLE. The JL is WAY better to commute in than my Ram, it is not quite as comfortable as the Atlas...but surprisingly not that far behind, and it is nowhere near as comfortable as the GLE.

I also pick up "slugs" (a DC area term for ride-sharers) so I can use the HOV lanes on 95. I very frequently get "wow great Jeep", "love the ride", "had a Jeep XX years ago...can't believe how comfortable this is" comments from my riders at the end of the trip. In other words a ride comfortable enough that non-Jeep owners are impressed enough to comment.

Now, expansion joints are a bit annoying, I have a little shimmy at 53 - 57 that is driving me crazy, I had to buy my wife noise cancelling earbuds, every once in a while during heavy rain I get some drippage, and on those really hot summer days the AC struggles just a touch to keep things cool. However after 2 Rams, 2 Atlases, an LR4, a 4Runner, an ML550, and the GLE...for an all around vehicle capable of doing everything I want (from commuting, to road trips, to camping, to rock-crawling) the JL is the hands down winner. Plus it has personality, and like a Harley it is more a blank canvas than a finished piece...so you can make it your own, which is half the fun anyway.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Renting a JL for a day, as you mentioned, is a great way to experience for yourself how it will work for you.
I have a 2018 2.0T, etorque, base Sport 2 door, it is the BEST daily driver of all of my way- too- many Jeeps. Fuel economy is important, so getting in the mid to high 20s , especially now, is essential.
You are 99% decided, and even if you decided not for you, resale is so good, no loss.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
What I've learned in the short time that I've owned my Jeep is that, you either get it or you don't. I came from a Mercedes coupe.
Is the Jeep a better daily driver? No.
Do I care? No.
Do I regret getting my first Jeep? No.
Am I sick of smiling all the time, walking up to my Jeep, walking away from my Jeep and looking back, washing it, driving my Jeep, whether on my commute, or in the woods or off-roading? No.
Do I care that it is a little bouncy, a little loud on the highway and not the best driver in the wet? No.
Does everybody agree with my choice? No.
Do I care? No
Any regrets? NO!

To answer the OPs question - yes, the Jeep is a great daily driver.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
My take on it: I have driven Jeeps since the 70's. Our 1974 CJ5, was a terrible daily driver. IMO, not safe for on highway, but great off road. Our 2003 TJ, actually drove and handled pretty good on Highway, But I wouldn't want to use it as a daily Driver. Our JKR, has taken daily driving to a whole new level. It handles, steers and rides very well. We use it for 300 mile round trips in the Summer to and back from our cabin. 85MPH IN THE Mountains, and it holds the road just great. Our JLR. offers even a better Ride, than our JKR. But the steering was a issue. the steering wheel would wobble about 2", when hitting a bump. So the Dealer flashed the Computer, changed out the steering stabilizer, and installed the upgraded Cast Iron Steering Box. BINGO..that fixed it, plus I can honestly say now, that it handles and steers equally to our JKR.
So the bottom line is, I would feel very comfortable using our JKR, JLR either or, as a Daily Driver..;)

dennis2society

First Name
dennis2society
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys - SOT - Etorque V6
Occupation
Procrastinator
So I’m in the market for a new SUV. I’ve had grand Cherokee’s growing up when I was in my teens, and then owning a couple of Toyotas, so I’ve had my fair share of vehicles but never owned a wrangler!!!

I’m looking for a new SUV. How are the new four-door wrangler JL‘s with a simple V6 automatic? Are they a good daily driver? I’m not worried about miles per gallon but I just moved so I’m father away from work which is about 50 to 55 minutes each way. So I do a lot of daily driving on the highway all the time. How is the JL wrangler for a daily driver? I know it’s not gonna be buttery smooth but to anyone that does like 70% Highway 30% in the woods, how do you like your vehicle?

Is the road noise that bothered some with the hardtop? Is there anything else I should look for when buying one? Probably just looking at a simple sport S cause dont really wanna spend 50k right now haha. Thanks guys
I dont drive daily but 3-4 times a week. Love my 2021 Willys SOT.
Biggest negatives i notice is noise - from wind and tires. not an issue if i am going 55mph but cabin gets very loud starting at 75 and goes up exponentially from there. I usually drive 85 and its loud -fine for shorter trips but the drone gets annoying after a while. I have a SOT and had hardtop for a year before that . Hardtop is quieter but also get loud +75mph. At 85mph, both loud - can't tell the difference between them.

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
I drive mine daily about 50 miles each day. It does the job. I came from a Ram 3500 so I’ve never really experienced comfortable driving. It is better then the Ram but the road noise is way worse. You get used to it.

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
My daily drivers for the past 12 years have been 2 F150s and a F250 Superduty diesel. I like driving my JLU much more than any of the trucks. The super duty has crazy power but the ride is jarring to say the least (leaf springs, air bags, 80 PSI tires and 7500 LBS curb weight). The wrangler is like a soft cloud in comparison. Now if I was coming from my wife's Grand Cherokee Limited X I'd say the wrangler drives like ass LOL. All in what you are used to. I like loose steering and a little sway so the JLU is perfect for my taste.

Farmer joe

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge drw grand cherokee
I drive mine daily about 50 miles each day. It does the job. I came from a Ram 3500 so I’ve never really experienced comfortable driving. It is better then the Ram but the road noise is way worse. You get used to it.

Was worried about how my rubicon extreme i have on order was going to drive..but it cant be any worse than my 08 dodge 3500 drw rides. I hope....

Sponsored

DavidRam

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 door
I did a 100+ mile SoCal freeway drive last night, with up to 85 mph... I was amazed (again) at how comfortable, stable and fun these things are even for longer, faster trips.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I was just asking how it drove because I’ve been in wranglers before but I’ve never really driven them. I’m renting one next weekend to see how I like it and I’m probably gonna take it on I want to two hour trip on the highway to see how it does.
This is the best solution to drive it yourself.

I know some people who love them and other who get rid of them because they were expecting more. My salesman said on our test drive to make sure to take it on the highway. He said 'Wranglers aren't for everyone'. We usually drive my wife's Jeep around town, but I do drive it 2 hours to my family's cottage. I prefer my other cars on the highway. It doesn't feel sloppy or anything, but seems to take more steering input on the highway. I have gotten used to it, so I don't notice it as much.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
It's the best daily driver ever... much more calm and relaxed than my Lexus... and it totally shits on the Bronco... IFS is for losers... (did I do it right?)

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Late to the thread, but adding my 2c for the OP and others who may use the search function in the future.

Even though my Jeep is mildly modified with 37" AT tires, I find it great for long distance travel to the trails and other destinations. The *only* three things that bother me on long trips are:
1 - It is noisy as hell if I need to make a work phone call.
2 - It's expensive as it burns gas and wears those 37's at an impressive rate if you drive 80MPH
3 - Had 4 death wobble experiences in 7,000 miles while hitting big expansion joints - still chasing that.

Other than that it is actually fun to drive long distances. And I rent a lot of vehicles for work (very long distances). The JL 4-door (and Gladiator) are more fun to drive to drive.

With the state of the roads down here in New England, my 37s are the best to bomb through all the potholes.

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Exactly, I’m not looking for an SUV that drives like a Cadillac on the road. I understand it’s going to sway back-and-forth and might be a little rough at times over bumps which I’m totally OK with. Like I said I’m not looking for a Cadillac smooth at all. But from what I can gather, they do pretty good on the highway. And the fact that I can go a day of wheeling and have fun and then hop on the highway to get home in the same vehicle sounds awesome
This Jeep was my first 'non-luxury' car despite the high price tag and was unsure if it was the best vehicle for me but I wanted it.

SO, Here we are almost 4 months in with my Willys and just hit 6k miles and absolutely no regrets.
Sometimes if it is windy highway driving requires a little more attention than normal but it doesn't 'wander' it is a great highway cruiser. I think its Ride Quality will surprise you. It handles potholes and bumps well and I have cruised 80-90mph for miles and its been smooth.

Also if you drive ALOT, the Advanced Safety group is a must. A lot of people on here like to hate on that package but it literally transforms the experience of the car. Had the adaptive cruise on for almost 300 miles and did not even realize how far I had driven because of how relaxing it makes the drive. Seats are comfy, engine is perfect, experience is just great in my opinion.
And for urban city driving, sitting high up with great sight lines is always a perk.
Sponsored