Sponsored

Is a JL wrangler a good daily driver???

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have to be honest, I would have trouble recommending a Wrangler as a daily to someone commuting almost an hour each way to work 5 times a week, especially if the majority of the drive is highway. Maybe I just like some quiet time before work (early morning) or after a busy day at work, which a Wrangler doesn't necessarily provide. Might be different if you could work remotely a few days a week. Not saying someone couldn't do it.
Sponsored

kayurii

First Name
Kailyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Iā€™ve been using my JKU as a daily driver for 5 years. To me itā€™s just my normal. I didnā€™t own any super smooth/quiet cars before it though either (2003 manual Corolla that I ran into the ground). I recently ordered a 2022 4xe and after riding in one I could already tell that it was so much smoother than my JKU. Every Jeep quirk is my normal at this point (yes my Jeep pulls to the left a little but itā€™s so automatic to correct it I donā€™t even notice, and thereā€™s more noise than my wifeā€™s car but I listen to music anyway) and I donā€™t really pay attention to other cars even when I drive/ride in them.

Not sure if anyone else feels similar about theirs?

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
Absolutely! I use mine as a daily driver but, I went through and sound deadened the interior, I use road tires and Iā€™ve done lots of luxury upgrades, Iā€™ve also added a fox steering stabilizer.
Great daily driver, love it!!!!

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
"Is a JL Wrangler a good daily driver?" No, absolutely not, they're the worst vehicles imaginable. Sure, we're all on this forum; but, almost none of us would ever even think about owning one, much less using it as a daily driver. Those of us who do own one and do use it as a daily driver are just lunatics desperately punishing ourselves as a way to work out our guilty consciences, past regrets, and other mental issues. Don't even think about joining us in our misery. Some of us own five or six of them; that's how miserable they make us and how deeply in need of atonement we feel. You wouldn't like it. Getting into my JLR and just sitting there, staying there for hours on end is just a horrible experience that I deliberately put myself through because I can't face normal life. As soon as the chip shortage lifts, I'm thinking I'll get a couple more. Save yourself. Don't join us in our purgatory. Just run away.

Did you have any other questions?

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I daily drove a jku from my new house to work which was 100 miles total. I did it for about 6 months before covid hit. It was fine. My 4xe is light years ahead. It tracks straight and the 8 speed always has the right gear. The hardtop makes a big difference over the softop I had in the Jku. You said your commute was 50 minutes? How many miles? Reliability has to be considered too if you are doing a lot. My boss does a similar commute to the office and his daily is a taco. It has 240k on it. Idk if Iā€™d trust a Jeep with half that. But with Jeepā€™s great resale Iā€™d traded the Jku when it was nearing 80k for the 4xe.

Sponsored

X-Treme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
Happily Retired
Mine is a daily driver and i love it. I have a 2021 Rubicon Xtreme Recon and it is awesome on and off road.

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
My opinion is that a 2 door jeep might be the best city car imaginable. Park literally anywhere, see over most traffic, tiny turning radius, and urban offroading is always awesome.
Sounds like just about any "offroad" suv can handle what the op is wanting to do in the woods, and with less on road sacrifice. No open air experience though... I would probably be looking for a used range rover sport with a pano sunroof. My mom's lifted z71 tahoe with the g80 locker and ATs absolutely romps offroad, and with 8 people inside. I love that car. Our L405 Supercharged v8 Rover will do unimaginable things offroad, in comfort and style. If we didn't have one, it would be tough to choose between that and the 392...not really, but maybe.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
My wife hates my JLUR because of the ride. She's been trying to talk me into trading it in for a full size pickup or something but I am ignoring her, lol. Thankfully, I don't have to commute anymore since Covid so I don't mind it and it's great in snow and offroad.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Get a Subaru Outback and put Geolandar G015 rubber on it. Donā€™t lift it, it will cause headaches. My outback has taken me places Iā€™d never though itā€™s go but had no option but to keep going because it was impossible to turn around. The Outback also has more cargo space then the JLU, itā€™s way better in the snow, and will be WAY more comfortable to drive 45-50 minutes daily on your commute. All their vehicles now have eyesight so turn on that adaptive cruise and relax.

now, if you want a fun vehicle for hat you can take the top and doors off and climb up some rocks that are 2ā€™ tall and are having a midlife crisis because you turn 40 next year and youā€™d hoped your life was different and youā€™d have more saved for retirement and your basement finished and have just bought your first house with a 30 year mortgage and realized youā€™ll be paying it off until youā€™re freaking 70ā€¦. Then YOLO and Go for the wrangler.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
IMO the JL is a fantastic daily driver, around town. It is great for city/suburban streets.

It is much less fantastic for an hour a day on the highway.

But if you want one, it will do it just fine, just wouldnā€™t be my first choice.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Like I said Iā€™ve never had a wrangler before. I had a JK that I test drove twice and that was pretty horrible but then I test drove a JL and it drove so much better. Iā€™m probably gonna write one for the day and see how it does on the highway what I wanted to 2 Hour Rd. trip but from what I can gather, I think itā€™s going to be perfectly fine. Iā€™m not looking for it to be buttery smooth and I know itā€™s not aerodynamic but Iā€™m OK with that.
Keep in mind the JL has the wonderful 8 Speed ZF transmission, this by itself puts the JL way ahead of the JK for on road enjoyment, it really is that good!
And if you don't need the room of the 4 door, I'd go w/ a 2dr, they are a blast!

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
Fantastic for my case use. I have a 2 door JL Rubicon and I live in NYC and do a 50 min commute outside the city each way. I must make it to work so I need a vehicle that doesnā€™t give a shit what the weather does. Once in a while I take weekend drives and itā€™s just me, maybe one other person, and my dog. I donā€™t even use the back seat.​

Itā€™s surprisingly quiet, super capable, and the mileage with the 2.0L Turbo isnā€™t terrible.​

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I daily mine, 12 miles each way mostly highway. It's the high point of my day, driving it to work and then driving it home :).

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
IMO the JL is a fantastic daily driver, around town. It is great for city/suburban streets.

It is much less fantastic for an hour a day on the highway.

But if you want one, it will do it just fine, just wouldnā€™t be my first choice.
I totally agree and would add itā€™s easy to drive in traffic and parking is a breeze. Not my first choice for highway driving unless Iā€™m traveling to an off road excursion.

crudesolo

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 dr
My Jeep is in for some paint correction so they gave me a new Grand Cherokee L as a loaner. The thing barely fits in my tiny city driveway. Miss my 2 door already.
Sponsored