Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Hello All,
I'm really leaning towards a Rubicon 4xe and want to state why and see if any 4xe owners out there can confirm or dispute my assumptions.
Currently I have a 2018 JLU Sport S with the 2.0 turbo etorque. Absolutely love it, it's been fantastic. In stock form I was blown away by the acceleration and mileage. Very quick and was getting 22-23mpg easily. Through natural Jeep progression, I've added quite a bit of weight (slipstream security box in back, Rubi take-off rocker rails, steel winch bumper and winch, typical gear and tools), added a Rubi take-off suspension plus 1.5" spacer up front and 1/2" spacer in back to level with the winch/bumper, and running Gladiator Rubicon take-off wheels & Wildpeak 285/70/17s. While it is still pretty peppy and I typically see around 19mpg (17-18 if I push on it a lot), I plan to go up to 35s and am worried about the performance and mileage suffering. To offset that I was looking into a PCM tune and/or going to 4.56s. But if I went to 4.56s, while I was already in the diffs, I'd add ARB lockers as well, pushing that upgrade to easily $3K+. But if I did that I'd still have the D30 up front, manual swaybar disconnects, and an overall pretty spartan Sport. Starting to have a little buyers remorse for not going Rubicon from the start.
With the current used market being what it is, my Sport is worth quite a bit more than I owe so with that plus the tax credit and potential gas savings, I think it puts a 4xe Rubicon reachable. Never thought I'd ever considering paying $60K+ on a Jeep but here I am.
So over the last couple weeks have been really intrigued by what I was reading/hearing about the 4xe. I'm a contractor and my drive to work each day to my regular jobsite is 18 miles (mostly highway) and they do have Level 2 chargers at work. So seems like I'd be a perfect candidate for the 4xe.
I'll state now that I have not been able to find one in person to drive or even look at. So just going off info I've found on threads in this forum and youtube videos. I do plan on reaching out to a few dealerships and try to find one to look at and test-drive this week.
Here's the concerns/questions I have.
1. Real Power = On paper the 4xe power numbers look impressive and I've seen some 0-60 youtube vids but typically in Sahara, not Rubicon. Saw one video where there was a 4xe Sahara vs 4xe Rubicon and the Sahara smoked the Rubi so obviously the extra weight and 33" tires hurts the Rubi, as expected. I wouldn't even consider a Sahara thought. It's Rubi or keep my Sport. Just wondering what the difference is between say a 4xe Rubi vs a regular JLUR 2.0. I'm guessing (hoping) a 4xe Rubi in stock form would easily beat my current Sport setup in 0-60 and quarter mile. I'd figure weightwise my Sport is probably similar to a stock JLUR but my 3.45 gears hurt performance vs the JLUR 4.10s. I know it's not a sports car but I enjoy driving my Jeep spirited and don't want to lose that feeling if I got to 35s. This is actually a bigger reason than the mileage why I'm looking into 4xe, the added mileage and tax credit is just the icing on the cake that would push me to order. So going to 35s and moving my bumper/winch and slipstream over to the new Jeep, I'm assuming the 4xe Rubi with 4.10s with that added weight and 35s would probably performance-wise, feel about the same as my current Sport on 33s with 3.45 gears. Is this reasonable or potentially would the 4xe actually be even quicker in those scenarios? Also - do you need to run premium to see the performance or is it even less of a factor with the addition of electric motor? I did some informal tests between 87 and 93 in my Sport and while yes I felt some performance difference and got better mileage with 93, I never felt that it made up for the cost difference so have pretty much stuck with 87. Since the 4xe would use much less gas, then maybe it's worth it to go with 93 in it. Haven't seen this discussed yet and assuming all of the 0-60 times I'm seeing with the 4xe is with 93.
2. Cargo space = currently I fold down my rear seat and use that space a lot. In fact I'd say my default is to have the seats down for easily putting things in and pulling things out. Especially during hunting season when I have bow case, target, backpack, clothes, misc gear, etc or duck/goose decoys, waders, shotgun, etc. I fill my current Sport cargo space up a lot. Looks like that cargo area is severely reduced in the 4xe with the seats down. For solo trips where I need the space I could just remove the rear seats and build a low-pro deck to protect the batteries but I do have 3 kids plus another on the way and they love riding in my JLUS. So most of the time I'll have the rear seats in and quick trips to home depot I'd have to deal with the reduced cargo space when seats folded down. Anyone pack a lot and regret the 4xe due to the reduced cargo space or find it to get larger things (like a cooler) in/out with the height of the rear seats folded down? Definitely want to go with the Slipstream again for soft-top or no top security but wondering how that works with the 4xe batteries/seat. I reached out to Diabolical to see if my slipstream (non-alpine) will transfer over to the 4xe with just replacing a few panels or if it's completely different. I can report back when I get an answer if anyone is interested.
3. Tax Credit - anyone have issues not receiving this? I'm reaching out to my accountant tomorrow to get details but I believe I should be in line for the $7500 as much as I have read. Anyone hit any "fine-print" and won't get this? I'd be ordering so this would go on 22 taxes at this point. Also - anyone successfully using the 4xe for the "heavy vehicle" tax deduction? I've heard the 4xe Rubi is over the 6000# GVWR and applies as heavy vehicle deduction to business owners. I am self-employed so thinking I could deduct this purchase on my 2022 taxes making it even more attractive.
4. I know this is minor but dang I hate that they discontinued Ocean Blue Metallic. My first vehicle was a really dark blue pickup and my '18 Ocean Blue reminds me of that. I had a hard time finding my Ocean Blue Sport and love it. I get comments all the time on that blue. My wife, kids, and I just don't care for the Hydro Blue nearly as much. Have to decide if it'll do or go with Granite which was my 2nd choice when I got my Sport.

So long story short, I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 4xe Rubi and just wondering if any of my assumptions are incorrect or if the backseat thing is a deal breaker. Appreciate any feedback and thanks to this forum for all the info I've gathered to date. I'll keep reading as much as I can.
Sponsored

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
The simplest answer is that you would be using little or no fuel on your daily commute since you can charge at both ends. That's pretty big.
I can't answer on the cargo space as I haven't really used mine yet.
Performance, when called on, is giggle inducing and handling is surprisingly stable (probably thanks to the low center of gravity from the battery).
Offroad: I've only had a chance to take it out once, but I'm going to have to relearn everything I know from driving our '15 lifted JKUR on 35's. The 4xe is torquey and it wants to GO. Things I normally do in 4lo/1st got way too much power- thinking I may be spending more time in 2nd with this thing.

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
The simplest answer is that you would be using little or no fuel on your daily commute since you can charge at both ends. That's pretty big.
I can't answer on the cargo space as I haven't really used mine yet.
Performance, when called on, is giggle inducing and handling is surprisingly stable (probably thanks to the low center of gravity from the battery).
Offroad: I've only had a chance to take it out once, but I'm going to have to relearn everything I know from driving our '15 lifted JKUR on 35's. The 4xe is torquey and it wants to GO. Things I normally do in 4lo/1st got way too much power- thinking I may be spending more time in 2nd with this thing.
Awesome. That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear regarding the power. Thanks!

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Sounds like it might work well for you. You are not going to get mind blowing mileage but should be similar to what you are used to. Having electricity at work will be a huge plus and you are at about the perfect distance from work to take advantage of it. I am guessing that Ohio has pretty decent electricity rates but much over 25 cents a kw and gas is about the same price.

As far as the $7500, as long as you paid or will pay $7500 in Federal tax you would get the money back. It does qualify for the business tax because of the weight but I don't know much about that.

It does not have much space in back but I guess it is not much worse than a normal jeep. Need to build a platform if you want to lay stuff down flat. As far as power it has plenty but that sucks the gas. I run 35's lifted and maybe lost a mile of electric range. Plenty of power with the 4.10's. Think you could actually get by with 37's.

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Sounds like it might work well for you. You are not going to get mind blowing mileage but should be similar to what you are used to. Having electricity at work will be a huge plus and you are at about the perfect distance from work to take advantage of it. I am guessing that Ohio has pretty decent electricity rates but much over 25 cents a kw and gas is about the same price.

As far as the $7500, as long as you paid or will pay $7500 in Federal tax you would get the money back. It does qualify for the business tax because of the weight but I don't know much about that.

It does not have much space in back but I guess it is not much worse than a normal jeep. Need to build a platform if you want to lay stuff down flat. As far as power it has plenty but that sucks the gas. I run 35's lifted and maybe lost a mile of electric range. Plenty of power with the 4.10's. Think you could actually get by with 37's.
Thanks! That’s pretty much what I was thinking as well.
Electric rates are only about 6 cents per kWh here in SW Ohio.
I think my biggest concern will be those back seats and I’m going to just have to see it firsthand to see if that’ll work.
Thanks!

Sponsored

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Sorry… couldn’t make it through all that. I really tried though. What was the question again?

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
As far as power and drive ability you’ll love it no question. All the extra weight you talk about and worry about, will only translate to how much more the 4xe pushes you into the back of your seat.

You’ll likely use most of your battery each way to/from work if your trying to be all electric so if charging is free at work it will make moderate savings bigger.

I don’t know how much your looking to store in the back but with the seats folded down you lose about 6-8” of space in height and 4-6” space in lenghth. To me the space lost was inconsequential because my kids are sittingin the seat when I’m packed out for camp trips. While it won’t carry big supplies my $100rooftop carrier fixes my lacking cargo issue

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
1. Real Power - I rented a Sport 2.0L for a week in CO last Jan (while waiting for my JLURe to be built). In stock form, that rental was perfectly sufficient from a performance standpoint. I had trouble finding areas in the ski resort town where I could truly open it up for long period, but back on the highway, it seemed to work very well. After I broke in my 4xe, I tried a few spirited acceleration runs and I could definitely feel the power being limited in the lower gears. By the time it seemed to pull at full power I was getting ready to slow down (on a deserted, mountain highway). It was a bit faster than the Sport I rented. Then I pulled it into 4wd auto and...wow. BIG difference. In stock form, the 4xe is respectably quick. Quicker, I would say, than a Jeep really needs to be. It's great fun. I have installed the Mopar 1" lift and a set of lightweight wheels with 37" KO2's. While I can feel a slight decrease in acceleration, it is still pretty darned quick when I want it to be. The thing to remember, though, is that power delivery is inversely proportional to your fuel consumption. Drive fast and you will suffer lower pure electric range and lower gas mileage.

2. Cargo Space - you loose about 7" over the area of the rear seatback. That could be a problem if you carry very tall items which need the full height above the rear seats, or if you have a very large item which requires both the cargo area and the rear seat area. Adding a platorm would be easy enough, but it is an extra consideration. I have not had any trouble carrying 4 people and all our gear for weekend mountain climbing trips nor any trouble for an extended, 2 person road/overlanding trip down the CA coast. There is plent of room in the 4xe, but you need to pack vertically to utilize it fully.

3. Tax Credit - From my reading of the tax rules, this will not be a problem for most people who can afford a $60k vehicle. It seems even if your income source is purely from long term capital gains, you should be able to receive the full credit.

4. Color - I was truly unhappy about the cancellation of the Ocean Blue color. That was the one thing that almost convinced me to get a regular ICE Rubicon rather than a 4xe. Hydro was not available when I ordered, and I did not like Chief (light blue). With any of the paint colors, you should definitely go see it in person as the online representations are inaccurate and the paint colors really change depending upon lighting. If you can wait a bit longer, there should be another color available this Spring. Possibly Gobi which would hide the dirt fairly well. Also, Zynith, a light silver color, is now available to order if you want something light.

With all the above stated, you should be aware that Jeep is still working out some issues with this drivetrain. I knew what I was getting into when I ordered on the first day the order books opened Nov 2020, and my Jeep is currently in the shop for going on 3 weeks. The engine and motor died during my normal, short commute to work. I have replacement charging module and hybrid battery coming...I just hope my Jeep is back before the end of Jan.

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Thanks again for the continued feedback. Talked to a few dealerships yesterday and going to try to go check out a Sahara today. Not interested in buying it, definitely want the Rubicon, but gives me a better idea of the backseat which is my biggest concern. Well now other than the last point about potential bigger issues. Last thing I want to do is spend $60k+ on a vehicle that spends more time in the shop. Was really hoping they would have debugged the system by the ‘22s.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Starting to have similar thoughts to OP: I live in upstate NY, about 4mi from work. 2019 JLUR. Seems like everything will bolt right up. Don't care about the back seat fold down because my kids are usually back there. I work a compressed schedule (3 on, 4 off, then 4 on 3 off) and don't usually go too far on my days off, if anywhere at all. Based on current market, I stand to make roughly $10k if i sell my Jeep and move to a 4xe.

My main concerns:
1). Reliability- commuting and on the trail. It's not all sand and rocks here, and a lot of times I have to deal with mud and water crossings/ moisture between big rocks on some of the trails I run. Likewise, I can't have the Jeep in the shop all the time as I work opposite my wife and borrowing vehicles isn't always possible. Also, it gets pretty cold here the last 3-4 years.

2). Compatibility: I have Bumpers, Armor, a lift, and 37's that I would likely be stripping from my current V6/ Manual Trans JLUR. I THINK most of it will bolt up, but the Engine/trans/ gas tank/ diff skids and diff covers are where I wonder if they'll transfer. I think the rest should be no problem, save swapping out the springs for the taller or stiffer springs for the added weight of the Battery pack. Likewise, A lot of the ones I'm seeing on dealer lots have painted hard tops, or the skytop- which I don't really want- I'd be keeping my Soft top to use in the summer. Sky touch just isn't something i'm interested in

3). Actual Fuel/ Power consumption: If i can save myself the $120/mo I spend on average on fuel, plus the increased fuel mileage on the few longer road trips and wheeling trips we take, that could be a decent chunk of change. Wondering what actual consumption would be with 37's?

4). Color: No offense, but I don't like the boring colors. I love my Orange. Granted, I could get it wrapped- BUT that would eat $2-3k. Not sure i can justify the cost, but I would be annoyed looking at grey every day, especially if I'm paying north of $60k for a Jeep.

My buddy will be taking delivery on a '21 JLUR 4xe at some point in the near future, so I'm going to check that out first. Would probably be looking at Dec '22, if I'm even going to go through with this. AT this point, I'm just curious of people's thoughts and experiences/ feedback. Thanks!

Sponsored

GAGT

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4Xe, 19 TM3P, 02 Ford HD, 01 GAGT
Starting to have similar thoughts to OP: I live in upstate NY, about 4mi from work. 2019 JLUR. Seems like everything will bolt right up. Don't care about the back seat fold down because my kids are usually back there. I work a compressed schedule (3 on, 4 off, then 4 on 3 off) and don't usually go too far on my days off, if anywhere at all. Based on current market, I stand to make roughly $10k if i sell my Jeep and move to a 4xe.

My main concerns:
1). Reliability- commuting and on the trail. It's not all sand and rocks here, and a lot of times I have to deal with mud and water crossings/ moisture between big rocks on some of the trails I run. Likewise, I can't have the Jeep in the shop all the time as I work opposite my wife and borrowing vehicles isn't always possible. Also, it gets pretty cold here the last 3-4 years.

2). Compatibility: I have Bumpers, Armor, a lift, and 37's that I would likely be stripping from my current V6/ Manual Trans JLUR. I THINK most of it will bolt up, but the Engine/trans/ gas tank/ diff skids and diff covers are where I wonder if they'll transfer. I think the rest should be no problem, save swapping out the springs for the taller or stiffer springs for the added weight of the Battery pack. Likewise, A lot of the ones I'm seeing on dealer lots have painted hard tops, or the skytop- which I don't really want- I'd be keeping my Soft top to use in the summer. Sky touch just isn't something i'm interested in

3). Actual Fuel/ Power consumption: If i can save myself the $120/mo I spend on average on fuel, plus the increased fuel mileage on the few longer road trips and wheeling trips we take, that could be a decent chunk of change. Wondering what actual consumption would be with 37's?

4). Color: No offense, but I don't like the boring colors. I love my Orange. Granted, I could get it wrapped- BUT that would eat $2-3k. Not sure i can justify the cost, but I would be annoyed looking at grey every day, especially if I'm paying north of $60k for a Jeep.

My buddy will be taking delivery on a '21 JLUR 4xe at some point in the near future, so I'm going to check that out first. Would probably be looking at Dec '22, if I'm even going to go through with this. AT this point, I'm just curious of people's thoughts and experiences/ feedback. Thanks!
I'm in Rochester if you are nearby, I can give you a walk through.

269625805_4998306863513192_8029953670514611389_n.jpg

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm in Rochester if you are nearby, I can give you a walk through.
Saratoga, Otherwise I would take you up on that. Interested to hear your thoughts though.

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
I have a Mopar Lift with 37" KO2's in load range C. My method wheels combined with my KO2's added about 20lbs per corner.

ACCELERATION: Excellent
CARGO SPACE: Fine for me, but I have added Thule roof rack and a spare tire rack for Overland trips with my wife and dogs.
GPM: With no electric, 18.4 before resetting tire size, (which I still havnt done) for long highway trips. After 22 miles it runs on gas for longer trips.
COLOR: I love my Stingray.
OFFROAD: I've had water a few inches up the doors, played in mud, snow, rock crawled and flexed on trails designed for a sxs. It is incredible.
TOP COMPLAINT: It has a 4 gallon smaller fuel tank. The range sucks for a longer trip when you can't recharge; think multi day hunting trip. There are lots of ways to carry extra fuel but the first can is used just to get you back to a normal Jeep range.
WOULD I BUY IT AGAIN: Yes. I love not using fuel on my daily commute and the seat of your pants power. Plus, I like the blue accents. I hope to solve my range issue with an auxiliary tank solution someday and also use the battery for overland power supply. Time will tell, but I solutions will be made available.
TAX CREDITS: My accountant says I will get both the Sec 179 accelerated depreciation deduction (>6000 lbs) and EV $7500. I also qualify for a state $2500 EV credit.

Here's a pic of some Christmas fun with my son's JK getting an assist from my 4xE.

Jeep Wrangler JL Is 4xe right for me? 20211225_140446

Jeep Wrangler JL Is 4xe right for me? 20211225_140717

GAGT

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4Xe, 19 TM3P, 02 Ford HD, 01 GAGT
Saratoga, Otherwise I would take you up on that. Interested to hear your thoughts though.
Well,

My main concerns:

• Ours was delivered around August? No mechanical issues. Just a small leak with the One touch roof. Dealer said there was a gasket missing. It has the same percentage of new vehicle issues as any other new vehicle, don't fret over it. You just hear more about the horror stories then the normal my vehicle works stories because that is boring.

• Bumpers, most armor(sans the charge port area), and 37s will fit. 4xe have the Dana 44 so if the skids fit it. Engine skid might if it bolts to the frame but its the 2.0L on the 4xe. I got no information for the lift for you as that is not something I'm interested in. Stock it handles great(I have the rubicon).

• Consumption goes up as usual but it is not as bad as you would think. The fuel savings is for someone who drives minimal miles for a commute. you only get ~25 miles on electric range before the hybrid portion comes in(assuming you don't drive like my wife with the pedal to the floor every time).
  • We charge with the level 1 (120v 10a?) and it takes 10-12 hours but the wife gets home at 5p and doesn't leave until the earliest 9a so plenty of time to charge. Electric is cheaper than gas.
  • COLD WEATHER as with any EV or PHEV your electric range will reduce with cold weather. Electric heat is inefficient and a cold battery is inefficient as well.

• We buy white vehicles. Order now and you can have a fun pink one.

This is the reason you buy a 4Xe. I bought it because we upgraded from a JK Sahara that we got more money for now then we paid for it 2 years ago. The JL is more plushy for the wife but still has that rugged look she loves (we cant afford a G wagon). We have a short commute to take advantage of the small electric range. I have a Tesla Model 3, so the battery technology intrigues me. Hold that trac off button for 5 seconds to kill ESC, brake boost for 3-4 seconds at 2k rpms and then let her eat is really fun in a Jeep. Faster than a Wrangler should be. Oh and the Government gave me $7,500 tax credit for buying it, the State $500 off the price tag, and I got another $250 from some company because I bought it and I have Liberty Mutual insurance. So I decided that getting a Rubicon and sky one touch was ok with those savings.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks for the feedback @GAGT and @baskiboat. I'm going to have to check out my buddy's when he takes delivery, and start doing more analysis, see what the offers end up being on my Jeep.
Sponsored